The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

best way to shoot tethered with FW800 on a macbook touchbar 2016 ?

bomzi

That is unlikely. They don't even have TB in the smallest Macbook (the very flat 12" model). I think the reason is that the chipsets for TB needs to much power for this kind of devices.

I don't think any of these can drive a firewire connection.
I'm not very familiar with power requirements. Do you really think that this would not work?

My hope is to find a 12" or so tablet that will run C1 that I can tether by P45+ to.
Something portable and powerful with a touch screen that can be used for a range of uses beyond tethering as well.

Is that too much to ask for?!! :loco:

EDIT:
Would this article provide a solution to the power issue?
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1256&languageid=1

Last edited:

jerome_m

I had the curiosity to check the Fujitsu T5010 convertible. That machine dates from 2009, which is the year the Hasselblad H4D was out.

If the question is "what recent notebook can connect to firewire?", there are only two choices:
-an expresscard port, this appears to be only available on some Lenovo machines nowadays
-a thunderbolt connector, and then some kludge with adapters. Fortunately, the list of machines supporting thunderbolt 3 is becoming longer, see here: http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10579-laptops-thunderbolt-3/

Shineofleo

I have been in this boat years ago. Fujitsu is a 4-pin FW which does not provide power, so it is a no for aptus back.

I tried all kinds of adaper from TB to FW, not working for aptus either from macbook, because the power is not enough to boot up the back.

PC laptop is possible, I am using Dell M6600 and this 6-pin FW works with aptus. However either the hardware or software has some problem/glitch, sometimes the back would not boot up, unplug and try again it was fine. I used this configuration for a 3-day project, in the end it worked. M6600 is a workstation grade 17' laptop, so it is very powerful. However, M4600 which is a 15' version only has 4-pin FW, meaning it is a no for aptus.

I am still getting a cheap 2012 mid MBP to be the dedicated tethering laptop for my aptus II 6, hopefully... all the others, I simply give up...

OR, I can upgrade to CREDO...

OR, I just jump into FUJI GFX boat ... with an empty pocket...

Shineofleo

I have been in this boat years ago. Fujitsu is a 4-pin FW which does not provide power, so it is a no for aptus back.

I tried all kinds of adaper from TB to FW, not working for aptus either from macbook, because the power is not enough to boot up the back.

PC laptop is possible, I am using Dell M6600 and this 6-pin FW works with aptus. However either the hardware or software has some problem/glitch, sometimes the back would not boot up, unplug and try again it was fine. I used this configuration for a 3-day project, in the end it worked. M6600 is a workstation grade 17' laptop, so it is very powerful. However, M4600 which is a 15' version only has 4-pin FW, meaning it is a no for aptus.

I am still getting a cheap 2012 mid MBP to be the dedicated tethering laptop for my aptus II 6, hopefully... all the others, I simply give up...

OR, I can upgrade to CREDO...

OR, I just jump into FUJI GFX boat ... with an empty pocket...
Just update myself... I got my hands on a used macbookpro 13 mid 2012 i.e. the last version of FW port. After I installed the system and C1 software, the FW800 work like a charm with my Aptus II 6 digital back... well the LCD on the back is still quite crappy but the tethering is quite perfect... Now I am wondering whether I should go for CREDO or not...