The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Now is the time to get an H6D-50c

JeRuFo

There are a lot of factors to consider when pricing a low volume product. R&D cost has to be recovered and the competition and market place have to be considered as well. Maybe the sales have gone way better or worse than anticipated or they are scared how sales will hold up now that the talk of new Sony sensors heats up on the internet or they have too much internal competition from the X1D and people are choosing that over the cheapest modular body?

DrakeJ

https://photorumors.com/2017/06/07/...-of-the-h6d-50c-medium-format-camera-by-8000/

Price drops are great, but when they slice off $8k willy-nilly, it just shows us all how big the markup on these things really is. Why not just cut the B/S and start at the fair price, without gouging the early adopters? Oh well... a fool and his money buys a full price Hasselblad.
When it was launched you were able to trade in old models of Hasselblad and get ridiculous "discounts". If you were interested in this camera you could have bought an old H3D for not much money and trade it in and the dividend would have been roughly the same if I remember correctly.

To me it was pretty obvious that Hasselblad would drop prices on the H6D shortly after the trade-in period had ended.

H6D-100c will most likely follow suit soon, you had even bigger "discounts" there when trading in.

jduncan

When it was launched you were able to trade in old models of Hasselblad and get ridiculous "discounts". If you were interested in this camera you could have bought an old H3D for not much money and trade it in and the dividend would have been roughly the same if I remember correctly.

To me, it was pretty obvious that Hasselblad would drop prices on the H6D shortly after the trade-in period had ended.

H6D-100c will most likely follow suit soon, you had even bigger "discounts" there when trading in.

Hi,

It may be. The old CEO say that they found out that if you hit some price point (reasonable) the machines will be sold in high numbers. The new CEO talked in the LULA interview abut the X1D cannibalizing the sales of the H6D. So we will have to wait and see. The x1d it's not a direct competency to the H6D-100c, but it adds to the mirrorless narrative. In an ideal planet we will have a H7D at the end of the year (one can dream), but is most likely a reaction to the X1D and the Fuji.

Best regards,

tcdeveau

In the latest interview with Kevin Raber over at LuLa a Hasselblad rep admits that the mirrorless MF cameras have taken a chunk out of H6D-50c sales. Phase One has a deal on the XF/IQ150 going on at the moment for about the same price as the H6D-50c.

Hasselblad did the same thing with the H5D-50c Wifi...it was around $28k forever, they dropped it to $17.9k, and then they dropped it further to $14.9k and then back up to $17.9k. I imagine we haven't seen the last of the price drops for the H6D-50c and the IQ150, especially given the age of the sensor and the availability of the X1D and GFX, so if one can be patient I'm sure there will be better deals to be had. I doubt we'll see any significant discounts on the H6D-100c (or IQ1 100mp for that matter) until the road-mapped 100mp 44x33mm Sony sensor starts showing up in cameras and shipping to consumers, but I'd love to see Hasselblad prove me wrong.

If I were in the market to purchase an H6D-50c soon, personally I'd get a certified-pre owned one from Hasselblad as opposed to buying new. They've had CPO H6D-50c's for as low as $13k USD with a 6 month warranty. I bought my H4D-40 as a CPO model and wouldn't hesitate to buy another CPO from them.

MrSmith

https://photorumors.com/2017/06/07/...-of-the-h6d-50c-medium-format-camera-by-8000/

Price drops are great, but when they slice off $8k willy-nilly, it just shows us all how big the markup on these things really is. Why not just cut the B/S and start at the fair price, without gouging the early adopters? Oh well... a fool and his money buys a full price Hasselblad.
just about every tech product with a short product life is like this, same with small format cameras and the pro video market, the smaller the market the more likely this is going to be the case. camera companies are in the business of making money and paying shareholders.

a fool and his money? well if the camera is paying the bills just do the sums and if its not cost effective for the business wait or buy something else (or get better paying clients) if you are an amateur and it spends most of its life in a safe waiting for a once yearly workshop or a trip then don't be surprised if the RRP drops along with its second hand value. history shows this is always the case with camera equipment.

if you want to buy bling and not lose money then there are select Rolex and Patek models that will provide inflation proof returns, you can't take pretty pictures with them though.

the H6D-50 is a great camera, i’m almost tempted myself now with the price drops.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
This is probably in response to the Phase One Promotion on their IQ150/XF/80mmLS BR Kit that was started at the beginning of May running until June 30. They lowered the kit price to $18,990 or $14,990 back only (in mounts f Contax,Hasselblad H/V or P1/Mamiya) ($5000 instant savings) . The Phase One IQ150 Kit comes with a lens whereas the Hasselblad H6D50c is just back and body.

I felt this was a great move on Phase One's part to bring the price of a complete 50MP kit including lens closer to the price of investing in a totally new mirrorless platform and associated glass. Also since it is a digital back it can be used on other camera platforms like tech cameras and also be upgraded.

Lance

jduncan

This is probably in response to the Phase One Promotion on their IQ150/XF/80mmLS BR Kit that was started at the beginning of May running until June 30. They lowered the kit price to $18,990 or $14,990 back only (in mounts f Contax, ) .Hasselblad H/V or P1/Mamiya) ($5000 instant savi). The Phase One IQ150 Kit comes with a lens whereas the Hasselblad H6D50c is just back and body.

I felt this was a great move on Phase One's part to bring the price of a complete 50MP kit including lens closer to the price of investing in a totally new mirrorless platform and associated glass. Also since it is a digital back it can be used on other camera platforms like tech cameras and also be upgraded.

Lance
Hi,

It's a very aggressive move. It means that the H6D-50c is more expensive than the Phase One counterpart. Of course a X1D system is less expensive and the Fuji it's in a different league.
Having multiple actors continue to payoff for photographers.

fiver

:) The X1D is not a substitute for a full, stable and reliable professional system, I would never use my X1D as I do my pro cameras.

Dustbak

:) The X1D is not a substitute for a full, stable and reliable professional system, I would never use my X1D as I do my pro cameras.

Same here. My H5D40 is my workhorse. Use it tethered 90% of the time. The thing just works. I would not dream of swapping it for a X1D. Actually I am in talks over a CPO H6D50c at the moment. For the work, volumes and necessary througput time I would never dare to use the X1D (certainly not at this moment). There is something like the need to deliver, in time and with volumes (sometimes).

jduncan

Gee, maybe they should keep the price the same and just throw a complimentary X1D in with every purchase:D
I second the motion, The only issue is that, since the Camera is at this moment more expensive than the Phase One equivalent, if they do this P1 will need to react.
What could they add a Fuji gfx 50s ? that will be even funnier :D .
Jokes aside, It seems to me that mirrorless MF is there affecting the low-end MF market.
I can't wait for the next generation to come.

Best regards,