The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V focusing screens and calibration

tjv

Thanks again,

Pretty sure the camrea I'm getting has the first acute matte screen without split prism. It has the etched rather than black painted centre crosshair, so I assume it's been swapped out at some point. Does this sound right? Anyway, time will tell. I haven't received it yet. I trust the seller and am prepared to spend the time (and some money, I guess, within reason,) getting to know and tuning the camera. I'm actually looking forward to shooting some BW film again.

TJV

PSon

I have the 40mm CFE IF and the CFE lens and really enjoy using them on the 503CW, 205FCC and more recently on the Cambo Actus DB and WRS-AE. The Cambo and ALPA cameras become my mirrorless cameras to use my medium format legacy lens and some selected 135mm format lens that can actually cover the image circle (IC) of the digital sensors.

jng

PS: It's a slippery slope. Now I'm looking at 40mm lenses on eBay...
Um, it's not a slope, more like a cliff! But in the spirit of Dante, the 40 IF CFE is the sharpest (and typically most expensive) of the lot, which makes a difference when shooting 60 Mp.

Apologies for an off-topic question for Pson: how is the 40 IF at 100 Mp? I've been talking myself in and out of getting a tech cam with the Rodie 40. For now I've been pretty content in using the 40 IF on my 501CM and Flexbody when I want some rise/fall and/or tilt.

John

jng

Thanks again,

Pretty sure the camrea I'm getting has the first acute matte screen without split prism. It has the etched rather than black painted centre crosshair, so I assume it's been swapped out at some point. Does this sound right?
I believe that all Acute Matte screens have a small crescent carved out of the inside edge of the frame, near one of the corners.

John

PSon

The Accute Matte focus screen has 2 small "dimbles" at the lower left corner. When I get the chance I can photograph it to show.

PSon

Um, it's not a slope, more like a cliff! But in the spirit of Dante, the 40 IF CFE is the sharpest (and typically most expensive) of the lot, which makes a difference when shooting 60 Mp.

Apologies for an off-topic question for Pson: how is the 40 IF at 100 Mp? I've been talking myself in and out of getting a tech cam with the Rodie 40. For now I've been pretty content in using the 40 IF on my 501CM and Flexbody when I want some rise/fall and/or tilt.

John
I just got the IQ3100 so I have not get the chance to test all my lens yet. However, I did use the Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 40mm F4.0 CFE IF lens with my Fuji GFX-50s and it performed really well. Furthermore, the Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 40mm F4.0 CFE IF's design is similar to the Contax 645 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F3.5 lens. The Contax 645 Distagon T* 35mm F3.5 lens performs very well with my IQ3100. Below is an example of the Contax 645 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F3.5 lens on the IQ3100. Therefore, I would expect the Hasselblad Distagon T* 40mm F4 CFE IF to perform well also on the IQ3100.

tjv

I thought the second version AM screen has the two 'dimples' cut out, but the original acute matte screens went from painted to etched lines, but no 'dimples'. I guess I'll soon find out. Most probably will end up with split prism version at some point anyway...

The Accute Matte focus screen has 2 small "dimbles" at the lower left corner. When I get the chance I can photograph it to show.

Mr.Gale

I thought the second version AM screen has the two 'dimples' cut out, but the original acute matte screens went from painted to etched lines, but no 'dimples'. I guess I'll soon find out. Most probably will end up with split prism version at some point anyway...
That's true, the "D" the two cutouts but the first version did not. If you buy a screen make sure you know what you are getting. The reason I say that is often when one buy's a new screen they will put their old screen in the box of the new screen. you might think you are getting what the box says but it might not be.

Years ago I went down the same road and bought a P30 for my 500C/M because I had several excellent lenses. I wish I could say I enjoyed it but I didn't. I can't tell you how many shots I missed because of focusing problems. I bought the "D" and a Hasselblad magnifier and I was still missing focus. Obviously others are not having a problem or no one would be buying backs but for me, I just couldn't risk loosing anymore shots. I sold everything and bought a H4D-50 and a few H lenses and am very happy.

YMMV

Mr.G

jng

Right, minor brain fart on my part. :facesmack: Plus I was in a hurry when I made my last post. My first generation Acute Matte screen doesn't have the two little cut-outs in the corner (just checked). Sorry for causing any confusion...

John

tjv

I'm hoping I'm realistic about what to expect, but I suspect I'll end up wanting a D screen with a split prism. Either way, I just want a small kit for when I don't want the hassle of using the Techno. A 60mm and 40mm would be perfect. Pity the latest 40mm version is so expensive!

That's true, the "D" the two cutouts but the first version did not. If you buy a screen make sure you know what you are getting. The reason I say that is often when one buy's a new screen they will put their old screen in the box of the new screen. you might think you are getting what the box says but it might not be.

Years ago I went down the same road and bought a P30 for my 500C/M because I had several excellent lenses. I wish I could say I enjoyed it but I didn't. I can't tell you how many shots I missed because of focusing problems. I bought the "D" and a Hasselblad magnifier and I was still missing focus. Obviously others are not having a problem or no one would be buying backs but for me, I just couldn't risk loosing anymore shots. I sold everything and bought a H4D-50 and a few H lenses and am very happy.

YMMV

Mr.G

algrove

I see mine has 2 little half circles cut into the lower left side. Is there anyway to know exactly which model # one has?

PSon

I see mine has 2 little half circles cut into the lower left side. Is there anyway to know exactly which model # one has?
Post a photo here and perhaps we can help you. The 2 little half circles are termed "dimples". I am in the process of putting together the whole list of the Accute Matte D screens with 2 dimples and the original Accute Matte screens without the dimple to clarify.

jng

I'm hoping I'm realistic about what to expect, but I suspect I'll end up wanting a D screen with a split prism. Either way, I just want a small kit for when I don't want the hassle of using the Techno. A 60mm and 40mm would be perfect. Pity the latest 40mm version is so expensive!
Coming from the Techno I'm guessing that you are more adept at using a ground glass than most. Try it and see - there's a lot of old V system gear floating around on the used market, some of it good, some of it not so much. If you're patient and do a little research (which you seem to have done), it's relatively straightforward to figure out what's available and/or worth waiting for.

The 40 IF is great but at 1130 g hardly the makings of a small kit. I suppose it's all relative...

Good luck with your new old Hassy!

John

P.S. One side benefit of the V system/Credo kit you're assembling is that Capture One has lens profiles for the 40 IF, 60, 80 and 120 Makro-Planar.

dave.gt

Coming from the Techno I'm guessing that you are more adept at using a ground glass than most. Try it and see - there's a lot of old V system gear floating around on the used market, some of it good, some of it not so much. If you're patient and do a little research (which you seem to have done), it's relatively straightforward to figure out what's available and/or worth waiting for.

The 40 IF is great but at 1130 g hardly the makings of a small kit. I suppose it's all relative...

Good luck with your new old Hassy!

John

P.S. One side benefit of the V system/Credo kit you're assembling is that Capture One has lens profiles for the 40 IF, 60, 80 and 120 Makro-Planar.
Well, I have an acute matte d screen on my Hasselblad V, and it is ok, not great. I am waiting to get a Maxwell Screen, they are really bright!!! Bill can clean your old screen but I prefer to get a nice shiny clear and bright one!:)

https://m.facebook.com/Maxwell-Precision-Optics-200647716643807/

Call Bill, he is great to talk with!

tjv

For those that have done it, when sending the body to get properly calibrated, did you send the back in with it or were they able to do it to spec, without the back?

PSon

For those that have done it, when sending the body to get properly calibrated, did you send the back in with it or were they able to do it to spec, without the back?
I think you should write or call Hasselblad and ask whether you need to send your back with the camera and the focused screen. I don't believe they have an extra CFV-50c in the service department to use to do the calibration. Furthermore, you probably want them to calibrate your camera to your back.

jng

No, I didn't. I've done this twice with two different shops (including Hasselblad-Bron in the US) and it worked out fine both times. I suppose I'm fortunate that (a) they got things right on the body using their alignment jigs and (b) the sensor in my back is within whatever tolerances there are for mating to the body's rear standard. Maybe I've been lucky but I wouldn't worry about this until/unless I found that there's a problem (and note: I'm very picky). I've read somewhere that HB will check the calibration on a specific body/back combination but only for Hasselblad backs, which doesn't apply to my situation.

Hope this helps.

John

jng

Well, I have an acute matte d screen on my Hasselblad V, and it is ok, not great. I am waiting to get a Maxwell Screen, they are really bright!!! Bill can clean your old screen but I prefer to get a nice shiny clear and bright one!:)

https://m.facebook.com/Maxwell-Precision-Optics-200647716643807/

Call Bill, he is great to talk with!
I've heard great things about Maxwell screens. Is he still making and selling them? His FB entries are a bit dated and the link to his website doesn't seem to work. Thanks.

John

dave.gt

I've heard great things about Maxwell screens. Is he still making and selling them? His FB entries are a bit dated and the link to his website doesn't seem to work. Thanks.

John
Yes, he is, and he is fun to talk with, so give him a call. We discussed my needs for over an hour, he was gracious with his time and I learned more in that hour than I could have imagined. Just remember, you get what you pay for!:):):)