The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SK 5.6/28mm on tech cam, internal reflections?

gebseng

Hi everyone on the forum,

I have been using the Schneider 5.6/28mm with a center filter on my Linhof Techno with a Credo 40 DB for the last 3 years. The lens is fantastic overall, but in high contrast situations, I tend to have weird bright spots in the image (see attachment). Since I never have these problems with my other SK lenses (5.6/24, 5.6/35, 5.6/72), I tend to think that the 28mm lens might be to blame. I tried removing the center filter to have one layer of glass less, but the effect did not go away. Do you have any ideas what this might be?

best,

geb

CF012223.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Geb
I own the 28 and 35mm.
Generally flare is not much of an issue with the 28mm. However it can throw up flare when you shoot in a dark area where light is spilling in from a much brighter area. I have flags specifically for that which I clamp onto my tripod. At times the flare is not coming from the direction one would think. So the flare might be caused from light bouncing off brighter surfaces as well as from the brighter source. Generally I move my hand around in front of the lens to assertion where it is completely coming from, starting with the obvious. In your case the right. Sometimes i need to use 2 separate flags to eliminate all flare. Using the flags allows you to free up your hands to take the shot.

It is a wide angle lens so sometimes the flag might be just visible in the shot if it is to eliminate the flare. In that case I take a second shot with the flag just out of shot so you see the entirety of the scene and just layer mask the 2 images in photoshop so you get a flare free shot without the flag in view. I have photographed 360 degree panoramic sin sunlit forest using that technique to great affect.

gebseng

Hi Geb
I own the 28 and 35mm.
Generally flare is not much of an issue with the 28mm. However it can throw up flare when you shoot in a dark area where light is spilling in from a much brighter area. I have flags specifically for that which I clamp onto my tripod. At times the flare is not coming from the direction one would think. So the flare might be caused from light bouncing off brighter surfaces as well as from the brighter source. Generally I move my hand around in front of the lens to assertion where it is completely coming from, starting with the obvious. In your case the right. Sometimes i need to use 2 separate flags to eliminate all flare. Using the flags allows you to free up your hands to take the shot.

It is a wide angle lens so sometimes the flag might be just visible in the shot if it is to eliminate the flare. In that case I take a second shot with the flag just out of shot so you see the entirety of the scene and just layer mask the 2 images in photoshop so you get a flare free shot without the flag in view. I have photographed 360 degree panoramic sin sunlit forest using that technique to great affect.
Hi Enda, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! I also often use a flag, but not in this case. I guess you're right that a flag on the right would have helped here.

I would really like to have a matte box for the camera, but with wide angles and shifting this seems complicated.

The second shot technique with a flag in frame sounds like a really great idea, I'll try that immediately!

best,

geb