The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF AERIAL images

Richard,

Do you feel that the shutter speed of 1/1000 sec or 1/2000 sec was adequate to prevent any camera vibration from affecting your pictures when shooting from the helicopter? I was just curious to know what you think; the one time I took photos out of a helicopter I was using a gyroscope type device to help prevent camera vibrations. Next time I may forego the gyro.
Thanks,

John
Hi John, for some reason I didn't get any notification of your question. I found 1/2000 sec more than adequate to stop camera shake. Even when the helicopter was being buffeted by gusts of wind, the photos were all sharp. So, for the next trip, 1/1000, F8, ISO400 is the next test. That 40-80 lens is outstanding edge to edge at F11. It's a question as to whether it is still at F8 or even F5.6. The IQ3100 isn't great at ISO800, surprisingly. I thought it would have less noise and better colour as it looked quite rough at 100% and needed a fair bit of p/p. I suspect it will improve a lot at ISO400. Next trip will be in a couple of months so I'll try to update the blog post.
best,
Richard

ejpeiker

Hi John, for some reason I didn't get any notification of your question. I found 1/2000 sec more than adequate to stop camera shake. Even when the helicopter was being buffeted by gusts of wind, the photos were all sharp. So, for the next trip, 1/1000, F8, ISO400 is the next test. That 40-80 lens is outstanding edge to edge at F11. It's a question as to whether it is still at F8 or even F5.6. The IQ3100 isn't great at ISO800, surprisingly. I thought it would have less noise and better colour as it looked quite rough at 100% and needed a fair bit of p/p. I suspect it will improve a lot at ISO400. Next trip will be in a couple of months so I'll try to update the blog post.best,Richard
My experience with the XF-IQ3100 in aerial photo situations from helicopters with no doors is that pixel level sharpness continues to improve the faster you get with the shutter speed until you get to 1/2500, after that there's little difference and in order to get faster shutter speeds you start to degrade the image too much due to the higher ISO required. Between 1/2000 and 1/2500 there is sometimes a slight difference but more often than not there is none. Once you get slower than 1/2000 the number of shots with some blurring at the pixel level becomes more and more noticeable. My basic set-up for aerial with the XF is shutter priority at 1/2000 or 1/2500 and ISO 400. Of course focal length makes a difference too. These numbers are my standard for the 80mm.

I suspect that you will have significantly degraded results at 1/1000 compared to 1/2000. Now if you do need to go much slower, I highly recommend a Kenyon gyro stabilizer coupled with slow flight or hovering if possible. In that scenario, I have taken sharp shots at shutter speeds as slow as 1/10s.

Thanks, that's very useful. I suspect at wider focal lengths on the 40-80, 1/1000 will show less shake. What apertures is shutter priority giving at these speeds/ISO?

My experience with the XF-IQ3100 in aerial photo situations from helicopters with no doors is that pixel level sharpness continues to improve the faster you get with the shutter speed until you get to 1/2500, after that there's little difference and in order to get faster shutter speeds you start to degrade the image too much due to the higher ISO required. Between 1/2000 and 1/2500 there is sometimes a slight difference but more often than not there is none. Once you get slower than 1/2000 the number of shots with some blurring at the pixel level becomes more and more noticeable. My basic set-up for aerial with the XF is shutter priority at 1/2000 or 1/2500 and ISO 400. Of course focal length makes a difference too. These numbers are my standard for the 80mm.

I suspect that you will have significantly degraded results at 1/1000 compared to 1/2000. Now if you do need to go much slower, I highly recommend a Kenyon gyro stabilizer coupled with slow flight or hovering if possible. In that scenario, I have taken sharp shots at shutter speeds as slow as 1/10s.

First of all, thank you everyone for sharing your experience on this rare genre of photography.

About two decades ago, while shooting with Canon EOS 100, 35-105 zoom and Ektachrome E100SW (underexposed by 1/3rd stop), I mostly shot from a chopper without doors at 1/500 Sec and got mostly sharp images. The shutter speed will also depend on the elevation. With image stabilised lenses/cameras, giving anywhere from 3 to 4 stops advantage, I think 1/500 at base ISO of 100 should be adequate. I am hoping to shoot Pentax 645Z with 28-45 f/4. 5 SR Lens in about three months time, if all goes well. They will be mostly oblique shots, with a few by banking the chopper as much as my pilot would feel comfortable with.

Greg Haag

Kalalua Beach on Kauai from a helicopter. The doors off helicopter tour in Kauai is not to be missed. Hope to do again in December.

Cambo AE, Rodenstock HR32, IQ180:

Beautiful image Ed, my wife and oldest daughter are headed there Wednesday. I will show them your picture and maybe that will help calm their nerves on traveling right now.