The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Powering old digital backs in the field

If I may borrow on the collective knowledge here, and beg your patience while I ask you to think back over a decade or so...

I'm baby-stepping my way into using my Actus with a larger format back (had been using Sony E). I've upgraded the Actus, bought a gently used Aptus 75, and am in the process of acquiring the camera cable and transitioning my three most-used lenses for the Rollei electronic shutter system. I know I'm going to end up with an external battery to power the Lens Control S, so my thought was that it would be really nice to have a battery with two DC outputs to power both the control and the back.

I found one that has a 12v output, perfect for the LCS, and a 20v/3A output. Is 20v too much for a digital back? If so, I can easily build a DC to DC cable with an in-line reducer to 12v, but is that enough power? I've read some backs use closer to 19v when they're plugged into the firewire port of a tower.

Alternately, if you know of a battery with two DC outputs that will work without any in-line conditioning, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Brad