The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nifty Fifty and Sensor Mystery

dave.gt

Today marks a milestone in our pro bono portraits of healing project at Emory. The first photo shoot evolved into a photographic essay which was just sent to the book publisher for our client. The second project is underway and the third will be after the holidays.

This is a good time to reflect on the studio's only camera, the Hasselblad H5D-50c. No, this is not a review, just a quick summary of my experience shooting the H5D and a question concerning the mysteries behind the various DBs in the market.

First, I have bonded rather quickly with the H5D. Steve Hendrix, Brad Kaye and Cam Williams turned out to be my resource team. That is something I never experienced in photography all these years. Their assistance made all the difference in my learning progress along a steep ramp in a matter of three weeks before the first photo shoot. Then, there are the marvelous folks here in this forum who have assisted me in many ways... thanks guys!!!:)

The H5 is perfect for my needs. It may have a higher resolution than I need for portraits of the type we are doing presently, however, I cannot say I am left wanting with anything else I have been shooting. Sure, there are always bigger, better, fancier options available if you can afford it. Our shoestring budget barely allowed a single kit with a single lens to fit into our five year plan. My role is simply the finger man, and I simply press the shutter release button. :)

The results have been amazing and I still get wonderful comments regarding my first image ever with the digital Blad... an image of our granddog, posted a few months back on this forum. Our client is delighted and cannot wait for her book.

My rating for the H5D-50c is a solid 9.5!!! I reserve the remaining half point because I do not believe there is a truly perfect camera. The only negatives I would like to see corrected involve wishes for incorporating some of the tech features from the X1D... not all of them, but a few, into the H system.

Now for the mystery part.. this article makes reference to the Sony sensor of the IQ250...

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/0899304568/hasselblad-h5d-50c-wi-fi

Is the H5D-50c sensor really the same sensor? Cool either way... but it is a well-guarded secret it seems. For that matter who makes all of the Phase One sensors?

In summary, I love the H5D-50c and the CMOS sensor...and the results are truly wonderful!:):):)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
CI is a great dealer. I'm a Phase One customer vs Hasselblad but they've always been good for me. Btw, I also work with DT (Lance & Doug) who also provide great service and competition is ALWAYS good too.

ErikKaffehr

My rating for the H5D-50c is a solid 9.5!!! I reserve the remaining half point because I do not believe there is a truly perfect camera. The only negatives I would like to see corrected involve wishes for incorporating some of the tech features from the X1D... not all of them, but a few, into the H system.

Now for the mystery part.. this article makes reference to the Sony sensor of the IQ250...

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/0899304568/hasselblad-h5d-50c-wi-fi

Is the H5D-50c sensor really the same sensor? Cool either way... but it is a well-guarded secret it seems. For that matter who makes all of the Phase One sensors?

In summary, I love the H5D-50c and the CMOS sensor...and the results are truly wonderful!:):):)
Hi,

All CMOS sensors used in MFD devices are made by Sony, with the Leica S (typ 007) being the single exception. Leica uses a sensor that has been developed for that camera.

So, Phase One IQ350, Pentax 645Z, Hasselblad HXD-50c, Hasselblad X1D, Fuji GFX all use the same Sony sensor.

The Sony sensor does on chip analog digital conversion, so it is binary data coming out from the sensor. So the sensor is the same for all vendors.

There may be variation in microlenses and CFA (Colour Filter Array) designs.

Best regards
Erik

dave.gt

Thanks, Erik,

Great information to have!:thumbup:

Now I have a better understanding of the terrain and I look forward to learning more....

ErikKaffehr

Hi Dave,

What may differ a lot is raw processing.

• Phase One has Capture One, which will not handle competitors cameras.
  • Hasselblad has Phocus. I have heard many nice things about Phocus.
  • Hasselblad probably delivers some technology to Adobe, so Adobe may use some Hasselblad solutions in the processing pipeline of Lightroom.
  • Fuji also supplies lens correction data to Adobe.

In addition, Adobe applies different amount of sharpening, depending on DNG-tags that differ between systems.

So, processing plays a major role and can explain a lot of differences that may be observed.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks, Erik,

Great information to have!:thumbup:

Now I have a better understanding of the terrain and I look forward to learning more....