The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please recommend me decent camera for low light pictures

samsimon

Hello, Please recommend me decent camera for low light pictures (taking pictures in dark places, low light rooms - taking pictures of people on parties, events)? Can you recommend decent camera in range $300-$500
Thanks

Frankly

Given your budget nothing is going to be close to "state of the art" but you'll get the best value and performance from a used older consumer DSLR with a faster prime lens (rather than the slow zooms that usually are bundled with these cameras).

When the camera was made (the generation of continuing improving sensor technology) is probably most important... followed by sensor size and lens speed. A DSLR with a larger APS-sized sensor from 2011 will outperform the same era's smaller m4/3 or 1" sensors. But we might have some debate whether a smaller sensor from 2016 can outperform a larger sensor from 2011.

I don't follow prices but something like the Nikon D7000 ($250-300?) with the excellent Nikon 35/1.8DX lens (>$200) will outperform any of the small point and shoot type cameras. Canon will also have something in the same range.

Processing also matters. If you shoot RAW files rather than JPGS and understand how to work with them in Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. then you can produce better looking low light images everything else being equal.

tcdeveau

There are plenty of cameras these days that probably fit your needs. Just FYI though you may not find many great answers to this question in the “Medium Format....” forum as there aren’t really any medium format systems suitable for low light in your budget.