The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kipon is shipping tilt and shift adapters for GFX and X1D

Januarys_LP

You see the 1 larger ridged button, that controls tilt. Loosen to tilt, tighten to lock in place. The smaller round buttons below allow you to rotate the rear (camera body) or front (the lens).

Does anyone know if the above means that one can rotate and use tilt and shift parts of this adapter independent of each other? like in newer canon tilt-shift lenses...

thanks!

jvadasz

You see the 1 larger ridged button, that controls tilt. Loosen to tilt, tighten to lock in place. The smaller round buttons below allow you to rotate the rear (camera body) or front (the lens).

Does anyone know if the above means that one can rotate and use tilt and shift parts of this adapter independent of each other? like in newer canon tilt-shift lenses...

thanks!
All three controls, rotating the lens, rotating the body, and the tilting mechanism operate independently. One may rotate the lens 90 degrees and allow the lens to rise/fall without rotating the camera body (and vice-versa).

I am unable to comment on the newer Canon T/S lenses as I have not had opportunity to test one.

I hope that helps.
--Jeff

Januarys_LP

All three controls, rotating the lens, rotating the body, and the tilting mechanism operate independently. One may rotate the lens 90 degrees and allow the lens to rise/fall without rotating the camera body (and vice-versa).

I am unable to comment on the newer Canon T/S lenses as I have not had opportunity to test one.

I hope that helps.
--Jeff
thanks for that info,
but what i mean is can you tilt down and shift down too, and then for another photo tilt down but shift sideways?

jvadasz

thanks for that info,
but what i mean is can you tilt down and shift down too, and then for another photo tilt down but shift sideways?
If I am understanding the scenario, you would tilt for focus then turn the lens (90 degrees) and set it to "fall" (shift down), then turn the lens back (90 degrees) and shift or re-center, etc. I that is the scenario then yes, that is possible. I will note that the turning of the lens requires some amount of force to do so, with Pentax lenses at least, there is a possibility to make a change to aperture or focal length as you need a pretty good grip!

Here are some images of the scenario as I understand it...

Body tilted, lens in "normal" position:

000001.jpg

Lens rotated, shifted down (or Fall):

000002.jpg

Lens still rotated, shifted up (or Rise):

000003.jpg

Lens now rotated back to "normal" orientation and shifted to right. Please not that it is no longer in rise or fall. Shift and Rise/Fall are mutually exclusive. Further the tilt is only in the direction shown in my images here:

000005.jpg

I do hope this helps you see what the adapter can do.
--Jeff

jvadasz

thanks for that info,
The scenario you describe above should work as I understand it. Below are some images I made to illustrate what I believe you are describing.

Tilt with lens in "normal" position:

000001.jpg

Still tilted, lens now rotated and "shifted" down:

000002.jpg

Still tilted, lens still rotated and "shifted" up (I added this though it was not part of your description):

000003.jpg

Still tilted, lens now rotated back to normal orientation and shifted:

000005.jpg

I do hope the is what you were describing.
--Jeff

Januarys_LP

The scenario you describe above should work as I understand it. Below are some images I made to illustrate what I believe you are describing.

Tilt with lens in "normal" position:

View attachment 138485

Still tilted, lens now rotated and "shifted" down:

View attachment 138484

Still tilted, lens still rotated and "shifted" up (I added this though it was not part of your description):

View attachment 138483

Still tilted, lens now rotated back to normal orientation and shifted:

View attachment 138482

I do hope the is what you were describing.
--Jeff

thank you very much, exactly what i wanted to know!