The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to shoot vertical project with Hasselblad, suggestions?

dave.gt

Surely there are those who have done ceiling shoots before, right?:)
LOL...:)

I was asked to prepare a proposal to do yet another book at the hospital. The Rehab patients, in art therapy, the last several years have done some beautiful artwork on 24"x24" ceiling tiles and there are more than 50 that really deserve to be photographed and presented in a 12"x12" book for patients, families and staff to enjoy.

Using an H5D-50c wifi is a natural except for one problem... because I don't want to lie on a trolley on my back shooting the individual tiles. The Gitzo with a tripod dolly is a no-brainer, except for one thing, the VF and screen will be pointing toward the floor.

Is there a chimney finder that will work for framing the ceiling tiles? I thought the wifi would be a solution, but it apparently does not work due to the mirror being in the up position.

Any suggestions?:):):)

med

Would this do the trick?

I have no experience with it in particular, but it sure looks easier than getting beneath the camera!

dave.gt

Would this do the trick?

I have no experience with it in particular, but it sure looks easier than getting beneath the camera!
That may just do the trick... I really don't think I am cut out for the Michelangelo thing!:)

Thanks, I will contact them in a few days and see if I can get the cost covered by the hospital...:):):)

cunim

Surely there are those who have done ceiling shoots before, right?:)
LOL...:)

I was asked to prepare a proposal to do yet another book at the hospital. The Rehab patients, in art therapy, the last several years have done some beautiful artwork on 24"x24" ceiling tiles and there are more than 50 that really deserve to be photographed and presented in a 12"x12" book for patients, families and staff to enjoy.

Using an H5D-50c wifi is a natural except for one problem... because I don't want to lie on a trolley on my back shooting the individual tiles. The Gitzo with a tripod dolly is a no-brainer, except for one thing, the VF and screen will be pointing toward the floor.

Is there a chimney finder that will work for framing the ceiling tiles? I thought the wifi would be a solution, but it apparently does not work due to the mirror being in the up position.

Any suggestions?:):):)
Tether. Phocus does it well. Shots looking up from the floor are easy because everything is in reach. The harder ones are when the camera is 10' in the air looking down.

dave.gt

Tether. Phocus does it well. Shots looking up from the floor are easy because everything is in reach. The harder ones are when the camera is 10' in the air looking down.
Ah ha! Thanks! That is an interesting way to go. I have a Firewire included in the box...

I suppose I will need to find a used earlier Mac Laptop?

jerome_m

There is a chimney finder for the H system and the second post in this thread cited a source.

This being said, there is an even simpler solution: just take the viewfinder off and compose directly on the screen. Your subject is flat, so AF will simply work, there is no real need to enlarge the image to check sharpness. Composition can be done on the screen alone, because you will just be checking that the tile fits the frame. You'll lose the meter (it is in the viewfinder), but light should be constant for that project anyway.

Just take the viewfinder off, the camera will still function perfectly.

dave.gt

Jerome, thanks, I did try what you suggested but the low position of the camera for 8' ceilings, combined with the need to stretch over and frame through the screen is much too painful for me to do for 8 hours.:) So...

After doing several trials at home with alternative solutions, I have decided on the following:

-a tethered solution with a Mac laptop
-a tripod dolly (more expensive than I thought for the best/sturdiest/safest!)

I visited the hospital yesterday and checked the lighting. It is more challenging than I thought. That is where I am stuck at the moment, looking for a simple, portable, yet effective solution.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated as I need to submit a proposal next week.:shocked: