The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Image circle of Hassy V lenses on H6D100c

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

The 180/4 CF in it's different variant is a very good lens. I have not owned 250/5.6 SuperAchromat, which I presume you mean. Super Combat sounds more like a military lens. It is said to be a very good lens.

For pretty girls I would stay with the HC-lenses. For landscape it may be interesting to use the V-lenses. Seeing MTF data I would say that the two Sonnars and the Planar 100/3.5 are shininng brightest among the CF lenses. I have seen some great stuff from the SuperAchromat.

Best regards
Erik

Guy
I just bought a new H6D100c and already have 3 HC lenses 50mm II 100mm and 150mm. I have a 180 & 250mm V Super Combat lenses at home and wondered if it is worth getting the HC to V adapter??
I’m a landscaper and pretty girl photography kind of guy :) :)

Neil

Steve Hendrix

Hi,

The 180/4 CF in it's different variant is a very good lens. I have not owned 250/5.6 SuperAchromat, which I presume you mean. Super Combat sounds more like a military lens. It is said to be a very good lens.

For pretty girls I would stay with the HC-lenses. For landscape it may be interesting to use the V-lenses. Seeing MTF data I would say that the two Sonnars and the Planar 100/3.5 are shininng brightest among the CF lenses. I have seen some great stuff from the SuperAchromat.

Best regards
Erik

Pretty girls - HC lenses.

Landscape - V lenses.

Got it.

What about cats?

;)

Steve Hendrix/CI

tcdeveau

FWIW I’ve also found that the iPhone X portrait mode works great with my cats.

I’ll see myself out.
-Todd

sog1927

The truth of the matter john is that whenever I post a question or a picture on here or the Leica Forum you ALWAYS come back with a smarmy remark.........youve blown the highlight, its not in focus, why are you asking basic questions etc etc. I have learnt not to bite and to just continue asking questions and posting pictures as that is what I like to do.

I will get the adapter and give it a go

Pictures to follow

Neil
I think I'm actually the one who said you might have blown the highlights in a couple of shots, but I allowed as how it might be due to my monitor (non-)calibration. I like prints ;-).

rmueller

if it is worth getting the HC to V adapter??
Hi Neil,

coming back to your original question. I once had the CF Adapter for the H and sold it short after. Strongly discourage from buying it,
not because of any IQ issues wit Zeiss glass BUT the handling really kills all fun with the H System, especially when you're out in the field. Basically you'd need three hands to handle this combo, then where did i put the lens cap for the V and where for the H lens and oh why is everything dark here, oh forgot to re-cock the lens. And then the sync cable. I could go on and on. Its not worth it, not for me.

After this experience i permanently removed the word "lens adapter" from my photography vocabulary.

My 2 cents, Ralf.

ndwgolf

Hi Neil,

coming back to your original question. I once had the CF Adapter for the H and sold it short after. Strongly discourage from buying it,
not because of any IQ issues wit Zeiss glass BUT the handling really kills all fun with the H System, especially when you're out in the field. Basically you'd need three hands to handle this combo, then where did i put the lens cap for the V and where for the H lens and oh why is everything dark here, oh forgot to re-cock the lens. And then the sync cable. I could go on and on. Its not worth it, not for me.

After this experience i permanently removed the word "lens adapter" from my photography vocabulary.

My 2 cents, Ralf.
Yea mate I’m not going to get it......... I hate adapters too
Neil

ErikKaffehr

Hi Steve,

Sleeping cats - HC-lenses
Moving cats - HC-lenses

But, I guess you take my comment a bit out of context. According to Hasselblad the V-series lenses are optimized for infinity while HC lenses are more optimized from near to far.

It is discussed quite extensively here: http://static.hasselblad.com/2015/02/the_evolution_of_lenses.pdf

The OP has two of the very best V-series lenses in his possession that happen to complement his set of HC-lenses. I would pressume that he is shooting landscape on tripod, in which case manual operation can be workable. For me, landscape is slow and deliberate shooting.

I am not having a lot of pretty girls around, so I am shooting mostly other things, but I would guess that even pretty girls don't like sit like frozen and wait for the fumbling photographer.

Anyway, here is one of my very few images of young ladies:
20140913-CF045610.jpg

It was shot on tripod with Hasselblad 555/ELD and some V-series lens, probably Planar 80/2.8CFE.
View attachment 132082
And it is pretty sharp!

Best regards
Erik

Pretty girls - HC lenses.

Landscape - V lenses.

Got it.

What about cats?
Steve Hendrix/CI

Attachments

Last edited:
Oh...this is that legendary guy from the Leica forum, goes through gear like a crackhead in a chocolate factory!

At least he is good for a belly laugh, his "Accidentally On Purpose" typos are side splitting.

Don't take him too seriously folks, it's all a show...and I do mean all of it.
But apart from being "entertaining" he is really good att taking photos. Isn't that that counts here? Go to his site and enjoy!

/Eric

ChrisLivsey

Hi Neil,

And then the sync cable. I could go on and on. Its not worth it, not for me.
My 2 cents, Ralf.
Just for the record: the sync cable, unless shooting flash or a rapid sequence, which given the CF adapter is not really "fast", is not required. The combination works perfectly well without it. It introduces a short, and that does mean short, delay in the H body closing the rear blinds, not the shutter. This is in the CF instruction book, for me it makes sense if you have eight CF type lenses sitting around. Would I buy it and CF lens, if I had none, no, but for example the CFi 120mm is fine for the close up work I want to do and the H II 120mm would not 'pay its way".
In its defence it is a rather clever piece of engineering.