The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alternative source for Phase One 3400mah Batteries?

narikin

Anyone got an alternative source for buying P1 back batteries - the 3400mAh ones?

I see plenty of BP-911 equivalent batteries on eBay or Amazon, but they are all 2000 or 2200 mAh, so a bit of a compromise. Surely someone is selling the 3400mAh ones without it costing you $70 each (!) like they do at the dealers?

narikin

Thanks for the link, but they are $90 each (!) rather than $70 each (plus tax, plus shipping) from dealers...

Guess I'll get a couple of the 2200 ones and use those, just amazed there isn't some HK/China/Eu seller with them at half of Phase's official price.

jagsiva

Thanks for the link, but they are $90 each (!) rather than $70 each (plus tax, plus shipping) from dealers...

Guess I'll get a couple of the 2200 ones and use those, just amazed there isn't some HK/China/Eu seller with them at half of Phase's official price.
You might have misread. It's $90 for two.

narikin

Ah, thanks for pointing out. Not clear on website, but: great. Ordered some just now!

Appreciate the tip.

beano_z

Just posting to reassure you, I live in China / HK and I brought my batteries off the local Phase One Dealer at about US$100+ a piece, so no, there's no trusty, cheap alternative, and I think US$ 90 for two is a very good deal indeed.....

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Seems to me that searching for cheap batteries outside of the dealer network is very short-sighted overall when you consider the entirety of the system and reliance on quality power.

Don Libby

I agree with Graham on this. The life blood is the battery and after spending the money on the P1 kit why on earth go cheap and risk it all.

narikin

Yeah, um, just because you own a $35,000 back doesn't make you a chump for over-paying for a simple battery. Such 'accessories' are notorious for their high markups.

These are straightforward cells, not 'info-battery' or 'smart cells'. No chips, no nothing.

I suspect it is simply the market for Phase One batteries (which are old Canon video batteries, long since abandoned) is so small nobody has stepped in to make a high capacity 3rd party alternative. Meanwhile $50 each from the linked retailer, is fine - thanks for that!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I hear you, but I prefer the insurance against a 3rd party battery that bulges and gets stuck in your IQ back ... yeah, that happened, not to me thankfully but that was a wake up call for, ahem the dealer *cough*!, that found a cheaper source than OEM.

Dan Santoso

I found Identical battery for my IQ180 in Singapore for about S$15 each.

They have 7.2 V/ LI Ion 3400mAh/24.5 WH, item number CAM3101 S$ 23.07. I only email about the new 3400, I send them a photo of IQ 3 100 battery, i don't know if it is identical.

Their contact and email ([email protected]) if someone wants to know more.

UNICELL International Pte Ltd
5 Kaki Bukit Road 1
#04-01 Eunos Technolink
Singapore 415936
Tel: +65 6742-6631
Fax: +65 6742-7763

our retail outlet at
Rochor Canal, #02-40/41
Sim Lim Square
Singapore 188504
Tel: +65 6337 6548
Fax: +65 6333 0276

narikin

I hear you, but I prefer the insurance against a 3rd party battery that bulges and gets stuck in your IQ back ... yeah, that happened, not to me thankfully but that was a wake up call for, ahem the dealer *cough*!, that found a cheaper source than OEM.
I hear you Graham,but I just had an official Phase One battery crap out on me (2 years old, goes over-voltage) so it happens regardless of source! Had to quit that days work because of this, hence I'm buying multiple alternates for the future.

Steve Hendrix

While the Phase One accessory options are first rate (cables, batteries, etc.), we have always tried to offer a strong alternative at a lower price, and the choice is yours. With batteries, this isn't always as straight forward as one thinks.

We did indeed have an issue with our first attempt at a 3rd party, lower cost battery - the silver jacketed versions from 4-5 years back. Initially the batteries seemed to perform well. But over time, with end user input, we found some of the batteries had a much higher propensity for expansion, whether this occurs from the cell becoming too hot, or the surrounding jacket not able to handle the heat, I am not sure in that case.

But we did pivot out of those, found another source, and have had no such issues with the new batteries we offer, and there has now been ample time for us to determine if an issue does exist, since we've offered these for the past 2-3 years without incident.

https://www.digitalback.com/product-category/0-digitalbackcom/
https://www.digitalback.com/product-category/1-phase-one/2-phase-one-accessories/

Steve Hendrix/CI