The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF, Front Dial P-Mode

Ben730

Hi
Is there a possibility to use the front dial in P-Mode to change the speed and aperture in proportion?
For example when it shows 1/250s, F5.6 to turn the dial and get 1/1000s, F2.8.

I have this on my Nikons and also have it on my DF+ but I can't find out how to make this on the XF.
In UI Setup - Front Dial -In Auto, I only have "None, Focus Nudge and ExpComp".

Thanks for help.
Regards,
Ben

ejpeiker

I've never shot my XF in Program mode but trying this morning after looking at your post and also looking at the manual, it seems that Program Shift, which is what you are asking about, is not available on the XF.

beano_z

AHHHHH.....:banghead:
I need Program shift. :(
Is it just me or does that sound irrelevant on electronically controlled lenses? In you example, is it the 1/1000s you’re after or the f/2.8? In the former case, use shutter priority mode or in the latter case use aperture priority mode, both these modes are metered and wherever you are, you still have the exposure compensation to play with.....

Am I overlooking something? I always thought P mode was where you’d let the camera select both shutter speed and aperture so the user won’t have to interfere :confused:

Ben730

Is it just me or does that sound irrelevant on electronically controlled lenses? In you example, is it the 1/1000s you’re after or the f/2.8? In the former case, use shutter priority mode or in the latter case use aperture priority mode, both these modes are metered and wherever you are, you still have the exposure compensation to play with.....

Am I overlooking something? I always thought P mode was where you’d let the camera select both shutter speed and aperture so the user won’t have to interfere :confused:
Sometimes I'm after the shutter speed, the next picture I need more depth of field.... To change between shutter priority and aperture priority is time consuming.
When I have to catch the moment, I'm used to work in P mode with ProgramShift on the thumb and Exposure Correction on the pointer finger.
That's the fastest way to work for me. I formed a habit of it in the '90s with my Nikon F5 shooting Soccer and Ice Hockey games for newspapers.
Until now, every modern DSLR camera I used had this possibility and I'm now disappointed that the "great" XF hasn't this feature. Bummer!:(
Regards,
Ben