The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D Thread

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
But I just wonder how many will be able to hand hold that camera
I’m not sure you would see any difference at the same print sizes from a 50mp and a 100mp sensor hand held, all else being equal. Maybe at a 100% zoom on a display, but if you interpolate both to the same output size, I think the results would match pretty closely.

DB5

I’m not sure you would see any difference at the same print sizes from a 50mp and a 100mp sensor hand held, all else being equal. Maybe at a 100% zoom on a display, but if you interpolate both to the same output size, I think the results would match pretty closely.
This true. If you size the 100MP image to 50MP then it will appear the same. Actually, the 100MP will likely look better due to super sampling.

bab

I expect the X2D to have quite a few carrots beyond an increase in MP from 50 to 100. Hasselblad is, IMO, well aware of what should be improved/fixed with the X2D. Most significantly, IMO, is that I trust Hasselblad to stay the course with the essential qualities of what makes the X1D special. No way they will bloat it up, either physically or in the UI, to add features to try to compete with FF systems. That's where I expect Fuji to head, which is fine, it's just not what interests me.
Easier camera to shoot my friend would be the Leica truley genious layout, but depending on your shooting situations one needs a tool which can enable the photographer to get a better result.

A few bloats as you call them I call it finishing your work, not leaving UI or Hardware crippled. Ex. Bracketing user defined amount of stops, user defined what stops (1, +1, +2) and one shutter release.

My point is if it’s capable to achieve greatness why not!

We all want or need different things but if I wanted a camera that was not crippled or buggy there are generations of used cameras for sale that shoot film and don’t have any issues.

hcubell

Easier camera to shoot my friend would be the Leica truley genious layout, but depending on your shooting situations one needs a tool which can enable the photographer to get a better result.

A few bloats as you call them I call it finishing your work, not leaving UI or Hardware crippled. Ex. Bracketing user defined amount of stops, user defined what stops (1, +1, +2) and one shutter release.

My point is if it’s capable to achieve greatness why not!

We all want or need different things but if I wanted a camera that was not crippled or buggy there are generations of used cameras for sale that shoot film and don’t have any issues.
I have been using an X1D for 18 months with a range of XCD and HC lenses. I do not consider my X1D to be either "buggy" or "crippled." I haven't been this happy with a camera since my days with my Mamiya 7. Are there a few firmware changes I would LIKE to see? Sure, but they haven't gotten in the way. YMMV, so the Fuji GFX could be a good option for you. It has lots of options and features that are lacking in the X1D. For better or worse, the GFX aspires to be a Fuji XT-2 with a bigger sensor. It will get there and make lots of photographers happy.

tcdeveau

I have been using an X1D for 18 months with a range of XCD and HC lenses. I do not consider my X1D to be either "buggy" or "crippled." I haven't been this happy with a camera since my days with my Mamiya 7. Are there a few firmware changes I would LIKE to see? Sure, but they haven't gotten in the way. YMMV, so the Fuji GFX could be a good option for you. It has lots of options and features that are lacking in the X1D. For better or worse, the GFX aspires to be a Fuji XT-2 with a bigger sensor. It will get there and make lots of photographers happy.
+1

I've been happy with my experience with the X1D. I took delivery of my X1D back in April of 2017 and its met my needs from day 1. It is a great tool that enables me to achieve great results for my purposes. Other than having the scroll wheels replaced under warranty, I haven't had any issues with mine either. I'm also enjoying shooting with it more than any of the Nikons, Sonys, Fujis, or 645z I've shot with over the last few years, and out of the gate it was a far more capable camera for my purposes than the H4D-40 I was used to with MF.

I'm looking forward to the X2D like everyone else, and I'm sure it will improve upon the X1D and include features which the X1D currently doesn't have, but I'm perfectly happy with my X1D as-is. Just anxiously awaiting the 35-75mm XCD and 135mm XCD/TC to round out my lens collection.

Last edited:

bab

If your good with the current X1D I happy for you please don't tell me in the last 18 months your are the only owner of the X1D that has not experienced and had issues. As far as recommending a camera to me thanks Im happy with my H6D-100c for my critical work and my Fuji Xpro-2 for other things.

Lag and FPS and blackouts and focus issues are some things I would require to be fixed if I were to buy an X1D because its more of a carry around camera that would fit other situations for me. I don't need it to have a 100MP sensor IBS would be better! Still the lack of firmware improvements is still on the table. Now that all the code for firmware is written in China and then corrected by Hasselblad we should have already seen more improvement in the firmware updates for both the H6D and the X1D.

I can give you a list of many firmware and hardware upgrades that could be improved with the H6D not to mention lenses, adapters and third party integration. I have been using the H6D for two years and have learned what it can shoot and what it can't or doesn't preform well at better said. My knowledge of this Hasselblad system may not be as deep as yours but for sure any company that can use propitiatory software to make a sensor preform to the best of its ability barring improvements for only a few individuals should in today's marketplace do so.

hcubell

If your good with the current X1D I happy for you please don't tell me in the last 18 months your are the only owner of the X1D that has not experienced and had issues.
I presume what you mean is that you do not want me to tell you that none of the X1D owners has had "issues" with their X1D. I won't. A number have had issues. So have a number of owners of every other camera system. I had an H3D-39, a Phase P65 and IQ 180 over the last 10 years. Multiple failures with each of them, always at inopportune times, like overseas or in the Desert shooting thousands of miles from home. I returned the H3D-39. Both the P65 and the IQ180 had to be replaced. Then the replacement IQ180 failed in Iceland two years ago the day after I started shooting with it. The only camera that has not failed on me is the X1D. Same with the lenses. I just spent four weeks in Italy shooting with it every day, sunrise to sunset. Go figure.

bab

I presume what you mean is that you do not want me to tell you that none of the X1D owners has had "issues" with their X1D. I won't. A number have had issues. So have a number of owners of every other camera system. I had an H3D-39, a Phase P65 and IQ 180 over the last 10 years. Multiple failures with each of them, always at inopportune times, like overseas or in the Desert shooting thousands of miles from home. I returned the H3D-39. Both the P65 and the IQ180 had to be replaced. Then the replacement IQ180 failed in Iceland two years ago the day after I started shooting with it. The only camera that has not failed on me is the X1D. Same with the lenses. I just spent four weeks in Italy shooting with it every day, sunrise to sunset. Go figure.
I have had the same luck! With many cameras fortunately only one Leica 50 mm lens would focus to infinity and one canon body crapped out but was fixed in three days.

So I understand your X1D works. But as I do I’m still not convinced that Hasselblad has given their all to its cameras and firmware and I promise you I’m not alone. The question is would you buy a X1D with no blackout or minimal, better auto focus, upgraded firmware, and a faster capture rate? I would.

Im jealous you had weeks to shoot wish I had the time.

bab

I have had the same luck! With many cameras fortunately only one Leica 50 mm lens would focus to infinity and one canon body crapped out but was fixed in three days.

So I understand your X1D works. But as I do I’m still not convinced that Hasselblad has given their all to its cameras and firmware and I promise you I’m not alone. The question is would you buy a X1D with no blackout or minimal, better auto focus, upgraded firmware, and a faster capture rate? I would.

Im jealous you had weeks to shoot wish I had the time.

jduncan

If your good with the current X1D I happy for you please don't tell me in the last 18 months your are the only owner of the X1D that has not experienced and had issues. As far as recommending a camera to me thanks Im happy with my H6D-100c for my critical work and my Fuji Xpro-2 for other things.

Lag and FPS and blackouts and focus issues are some things I would require to be fixed if I were to buy an X1D because its more of a carry around camera that would fit other situations for me. I don't need it to have a 100MP sensor IBS would be better! Still the lack of firmware improvements is still on the table. Now that all the code for firmware is written in China and then corrected by Hasselblad we should have already seen more improvement in the firmware updates for both the H6D and the X1D.

I can give you a list of many firmware and hardware upgrades that could be improved with the H6D not to mention lenses, adapters and third-party integration. I have been using the H6D for two years and have learned what it can shoot and what it can't or doesn't perform well at better said. My knowledge of this Hasselblad system may not be as deep as yours but for sure any company that can use propitiatory software to make a sensor perform to the best of its ability barring improvements for only a few individuals should in today's marketplace do so.

Hi,

Can you clarify the following points:
1. You say:"Still the lack of firmware improvements is still on the table." What do you mean? if something is clear is that HB has been pushing firmware updates to the X platform. Maybe not the ones you want but a lot of them. In fact, I will say that the lack of firmware improvements was never on the table.

2. You say: "Now that all the code for firmware is written in China" I guess you know this for a fact. I will love to learn a little more about how they migrated the teams etc (my professional work is software engineering). Could you point to your sources?

3. I agree that there are some focus issues, but they are performance related. I don't believe anyone is saying the X1D IQ is not excellent or that HB has not written software to "software to make a sensor preform to the best of its ability". Not only that but HB works with Adobe to get the best color from lighroom, unlike P1 or Nikon.

The X system is lacking many features, some of them due to sensor limitations or the image pipeline speed. I hope that the X2D even better, but I see no reason not to believe the parent's experience. If he shoots slow and he is used to MF the cameras, the X1D will do just fine.

Best regards,

Frankly

Anecdotally I did many experiments with various ways to handhold large format cameras – Linhofs, Graflexes of all varieties, converted Polaroid 110s, etc. Even with shutter speeds maxed out and using ISO 400 film... the best case end results were comparable to good medium format film. You could always distinguish the tripod versus handheld shots even at the same settings, 1/500th with a 90-135mm lens wasn't enough.

It was still good for spontaneous portraiture but honestly there were smaller cameras just as capable.

That old photo school adage of 1/focal length being your slowest handheld shutter speed has been disproven over and over. Better to think like an aerial photographer and decide whether to use 1/2000th or 1/4000th.

fotophil

Since Hasselblad just dropped the X1D Price to $4999 Eur (just over $5848 I wonder when the X2D will be released and how much lower the X1D price willk go?

satijntje

Since Hasselblad just dropped the X1D Price to $4999 Eur (just over $5848 I wonder when the X2D will be released and how much lower the X1D price willk go?
That was 2 weeks, ago, prices went up again.
I assume that we speak about the same shop from NL?
John

fotophil

That was 2 weeks, ago, prices went up again.
I assume that we speak about the same shop from NL?
John
No - This price drop was announced yesterday a rumor based website, "Photo Rumors", and is suppose to cover all of Europe. We will have to wait confirmation by Hasselblad.

No - This price drop was announced yesterday a rumor based website, "Photo Rumors", and is suppose to cover all of Europe. We will have to wait confirmation by Hasselblad.
The only thing I found on that site is from 4th June, where the "European price" is based on a unique special offer of Kamera Express (NL) at that time (now again up to 6.400 EUR)

The official Hasselblad price in Europe has been down for some time, but is back to the original price at 9.480 EUR.

hcubell

And it’s from June 4th. Honestly, I wouldn’t be to sure about a X2D or GFX100 anytime soon. Or at least not before next year. I wouldn’t mind being wrong, but my guess is photokina 2019.
Sony previously announced commercial availability in November, 2018, for the new 100MP sensor for "cropped" MF. I would be very surprised if we don't see an announcement from both Fuji and Hasselblad about new cameras with this sensor. The deliveries may not start until 2019, but Hasselblad at least has never been shy about "pre-announcing" cameras and then maintaining a sales of existing product by lowering the price and/or offering upgrades when the new model starts to ship.

algrove

And it’s from June 4th. Honestly, I wouldn’t be to sure about a X2D or GFX100 anytime soon. Or at least not before next year. I wouldn’t mind being wrong, but my guess is photokina 2019.
Is there a Photokina in 2019 if we have one this year? I thought it was every other year.