The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thinking of moving to an Actus DB/DB+

photographist

Good day, all ...

I've been thinking of moving from a Cambo WDS to the Cambo Actus DB+ system. Don't get me wrong as I really do like the WDS/WRS ecosystem, but I'm looking to expand my lens collection further down the 'long lens' trail (i.e. 180mm, 210mm and ~300mm), and the WDS does not seem to lend itself both physically and cost wise to do so. Additionally the cost of new WDS lenses are quite high, and the used market, though more palatable is hit and miss for availability. I anticipate that the ability of the Actus system to use simpler lens boards (no helical focus, etc.) lowers the cost of lenses considerably.

I'm interested in the field experience that anyone has had in using the Actus DB or DB+ in the field. Conditions I shoot in vary from high, hot desert to frozen tundra in winter and humid, sometimes rainy weather (protecting the camera system of course). I'm also moving up to a Phase One IQ160 back (from a P25), and I work primarily with large landscape images. I am concerned that in higher winds the Actus DB/DB+ would be more impacted by the wind than the heavy and slim WDS. Any experience folks have in this area would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to hearing what you might have to say.

Cheers!!

vjbelle

All of your concerns are valid. Wind is particularly an issue especially with longer lenses. My longest lens is the Schneider 180mm Digitar and at that focal length absolutely nothing can move. Rain is an obvious issue..... The most glaring part of your post is that you intend to move to an IQ160. How do you intend to focus? If it were me I would look into one of the mirrorless offerings way before any CCD back. A CMOS back is, for me, a must have with the Cambo or any other view camera system. If you make that kind of leap then you will be forever a happy camper with the Cambo. A very light and easy to use system.

Victor