The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Cambo Offerings - Late 2018 Edition

Abstraction

I’ll take whatever is on offer, but 8-10 minimum.
50mm is too close to 60 so ideally 35-40mm focal length.
I’m after sharpness and no fuzzy corners to match the 60-80-100-120 digitars.
But without spending £3.5k
If canon had released a 35 of 40 T-SE then I would have bought that.

The obvious answer is a S/H gfx when everyone upgrades to a 100mp version and then every lens I have gets wider :ROTFL:
Canon made an FD 35mm TSE back in the day. You might want to check that out.

MrSmith

Canon made an FD 35mm TSE back in the day. You might want to check that out.
I doubt it will pass the sharpness/resolution test, I had the 45 t-se and it was acceptable on 12mp but not up to 40mp

Clients see things at 100% when shooting tethered and I don’t want those awkward “is it sharp” conversations. It’s also a lot easier to retouch clean sharp files and I do most of my own post work.

The worst case scenario for me is uneven textures on flat surfaces towards the edge of the frame if you get some C/A fringing that processing doesn’t cure its impossible to retouch out and you end up desaturating the whole thing and adding colour back in to hide it.
Good lenses= less retouch time = more £ !

Audii-Dudii

I’ll take whatever is on offer, but 8-10 minimum.
If that's your minimum, then it puts you squarely into medium-format or large-format territory and I can't help you much there, as most of my personal experience with modern-design lenses lies elsewhere and older, vintage lenses in these categories aren't likely to resolve well enough for your purposes.

I’m after sharpness and no fuzzy corners to match the 60-80-100-120 digitars.
But without spending £3.5k
Obviously, a modified Contax 645 35/f3.5 is Cambo's solution ... for now, at least. It's certainly a good lens -- very good, even (I like mine, anyway!) -- but perhaps falls a bit short of being a great lens.

And even with paying for Cambo's pricey mechanical aperture mod, you should be able to buy one and have it modified for a lot less than £3.5k, plus the image circle it projects should be plenty large enough for your purposes, so there is that option.

Alternatively, since I presume you already have a way to mount Canon TS-E lenses on your camera and adjust their aperture, you could buy Kipon's smart Canon EF to C645 adapter and use it to similarly preset the lens aperture. (Or for a bit less money, you could buy Kipon's Sony E-mount to C645 adapter and use it with your Sony body to preset the aperture, although this will require you to dismount both the lens and camera body to change it, which will, I'm sure, eventually become an annoying PITA. Or do as I did and buy an inexpensive, used APS-C E-mount body -- for example, I bought a scruffy A5100 for $125 -- and mount your lens adapter on that instead, so you can leave your working Sony body always mounted on your working camera.)

As a bonus, using an adapter with a C645 35 mm lens opens the door to also using it with a C645 45 mm lens, which can usually be bought for quite a bit less than the 35 mm lens and is similarly a good, but not great performer, and will provide you with some flexibility in this focal length range.

The obvious answer is a S/H gfx when everyone upgrades to a 100mp version and then every lens I have gets wider :ROTFL:
But of course! The nearly universal answer to all these types of gear-related questions is to simply spend more money, upgrade your equipment, and live happily ever after! :D

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

I doubt it will pass the sharpness/resolution test, I had the 45 t-se and it was acceptable on 12mp but not up to 40mp.
Based on my experience with the FD vintage TS lens -- and also with Nikon's 28mm and 35mm PC-nikkor shift lenses of both generations, because I bought used copies of practically every shift and tilt-shift lens ever made when I was transitioning from using film with view cameras to working with digital cameras directly back in the technology's early days -- I wholeheartedly agree.

All of these film-era, mechanically and manually controlled shift and tilt-shift lenses had their shining moments in the sun, but time and technology have long since caught up with them and their performance today is merely good at best.

TBH the Cambo adapters are the same on GFX and Actus. They work fine but you have to set aperture manually on the adapter.

On my GFX I went with the Techart. On the Actus I have the Cambo adapter to drive my 17/24 TSE lenses. For that, it works just fine.

I was under the impression that the Actus electronic adapter was unable to be used with the GFX and Canon TS-E combinations? Something to do with the GFX grip getting in the way? So i though you were limited to using a "dumb" Canon adapter on the Actus with these lenses? So was thinking that with the different design of the GFX-R, that this problem might be solved somehow..

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I haven’t used the Cambo adapter with the GFX on an Actus so can’t speak to that. I use it with my IQ3100 on my Actus G. For that it works well. I can’t speak to GFX & Actus G with Cambo.

The native GF Cambo adapter works exactly like the Actus version though. For the GFX on its own though I much preferred the Techart.

Audii-Dudii

I was under the impression that the Actus electronic adapter was unable to be used with the GFX and Canon TS-E combinations? Something to do with the GFX grip getting in the way? So i though you were limited to using a "dumb" Canon adapter on the Actus with these lenses? So was thinking that with the different design of the GFX-R, that this problem might be solved somehow..
I have no idea whether the size of the GFX grip causes any issues with it being used in conjunction with the Actus G and Cambo's smart EF lens panel, but assuming the Actus G design is substantially similar to the plain-jane Actus design (except, of course, for the few minor mods Cambo had to make for it to accommodate the GFX and X1D bodies), I believe the front and rear standards cannot be compressed enough so the EF lenses can be focused at infinity.

Doing the math using the GFX's 26.7 mm flange focal distance, the Canon EF lenses' 44 mm flange focal distance, and the ~18 mm minimum thickness of the Actus when its front and rear standards are compressed so they touch and no movements are possible, it appears the net camera(s) / lens combo is still ~.7 mm too thick for the EF lenses to focus at infinity and that's separate and apart from any possible interference issues with the GFX's grip.

For macro work, though, this camera(s) / lens combo may work well. Not being a macro photographer myself, however, I don't know how far lenses typically extend when focused at close distances hence how much additional space will be available to accommodate the tilt and swing movements that are the Actus' raison d'être. <shrugs>

LonnaTucker

Universalis and M-two work well with the Fuji GFX and Canon lenses. (the GFX 50R has even more room to shift towards the grip). Arca's camera design only need format conversion pieces instead of a second camera. DSLR, medium format film, MF digital backs and 4x5 film are all possible.

Here is a Universalis/GFX/Canon lensboard:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRgLvDbFx4B/

I haven’t used the Cambo adapter with the GFX on an Actus so can’t speak to that. I use it with my IQ3100 on my Actus G. For that it works well. I can’t speak to GFX & Actus G with Cambo.

The native GF Cambo adapter works exactly like the Actus version though. For the GFX on its own though I much preferred the Techart.
Thanks for that... I have a Steelsring adapter for some Canon lenses and yes, this does work with the
Canon 24mm TS-E II.

It does not give independent rise/fall and shift left/right though, something the Actus would provide...

CAMBOUSA

I believe the front and rear standards cannot be compressed enough so the EF lenses can be focused at infinity.

Doing the math using the GFX's 26.7 mm flange focal distance, the Canon EF lenses' 44 mm flange focal distance, and the ~18 mm minimum thickness of the Actus when its front and rear standards are compressed so they touch and no movements are possible, it appears the net camera(s) / lens combo is still ~.7 mm too thick for the EF lenses to focus at infinity and that's separate and apart from any possible interference issues with the GFX's grip.

This is exactly correct, it's not a matter of the grip or the design of the camera in any way past the flange distance. The Canon lenses cannot get to infinity focus when used with the Actus, however macro may not be an issue.

If you are looking to use the Canon lenses we do make a straight adaptor, but that's a whole different conversation.

Smoothjazz

I am looking at one of the Cambo Wide tech cameras to use with my Phase digital back. It occurs to me, why not make the adapter to use Phase lenses on the tech camera? If it is possible with the Hasselblad lenses, then the Phase lenses should be a similar engineering challenge. Any way to use the Hasselblad adapter and Phase lenses currently?

Phase V

I am looking at one of the Cambo Wide tech cameras to use with my Phase digital back. It occurs to me, why not make the adapter to use Phase lenses on the tech camera? If it is possible with the Hasselblad lenses, then the Phase lenses should be a similar engineering challenge. Any way to use the Hasselblad adapter and Phase lenses currently?
This question about an adapter for PhaseOne Blue Ring Lenses came up at Alpa as well and their anwer was:
"We could. But PhaseOne is not willing to share the protocol. We tried for ages. No success. Sorry."
So, the question is, how hard is it to reverse engineer a goddam lens adapter?

f8orbust

This question about an adapter for PhaseOne Blue Ring Lenses came up at Alpa as well and their anwer was:
"We could. But PhaseOne is not willing to share the protocol. We tried for ages. No success. Sorry."
So, the question is, how hard is it to reverse engineer a goddam lens adapter?
Another baffling decision from P1 - probably made by the same person who decided it was a good idea to sell the missing 12-pin sync cable to end users.

Jim

Christopher

If true.... it's embarrassing. Well another reason to look at Fuji's new offerings more and more. Phase One is shooting them more and more in the foot. Firmware takes forever and is still lacking in so many places, still no 28mm lens.. (However, I have huge doubts it will come and can be any good, as Phase lacks the knowledge in lens design when it comes to modern lenses)

Don't get me wrong, I'm working with both my Phase backs and they are both making money, but so is the GFX ;)

CAMBOUSA

To be fair on this one, the legacy Hasselblad CF (V-System) lenses don't require any electronic connections to function, which make them ideal candidates for use with the electronic shutter on Phase One backs (IQ3-100, IQ4). Reverse engineering (or engineering at all) something to take advantage of the modern Phase lenses takes a lot more resources and cooperation.

Not to say that it is or isn't possible that's not for me to decide. But I can say that there are a lot smarter people than I am working in the R&D team. And if they don't think it's possible, I'm not going to argue with them.

CAMBOUSA

To be fair on this one, the legacy Hasselblad CF (V-System) lenses don't require any electronic connections to function, which make them ideal candidates for use with the electronic shutter on Phase One backs (IQ3-100, IQ4). Reverse engineering (or engineering at all) something to take advantage of the modern Phase lenses takes a lot more resources and cooperation.

Not to say that it is or isn't possible that's not for me to decide. But I can say that there are a lot smarter people than I am working in the R&D team. And if they don't think it's possible, I'm not going to argue with them.
I wanted to update this as well. Early this morning I received some additional information from Cambo HQ regarding this statement:

It makes sense to offer an adapter to enable the use of Hasselblad-V lenses on a WRS
· there are plenty of those around
· it gives access to some unusual focal lengths you couldn’t use (or wouldn't be available) otherwise
· most important, those lenses were designed for a format larger than the current sensor size, so the image circle will still enable a bit of shift.

Regarding modern Phase One lenses, they were specially designed to cover the 40x54mm sensor. So because of this there (possibly) isn't much room for movement depending on the lens. So basically an adapter wouldn't allow for anything that couldn't arguably be done better using the native camera system.

Hope that helps clear some things up a little bit.

On a completely unrelated note, do you guys like this type of thread that announces upcoming products? If I were to have another one just about ready to go would you want to see it and comment on it? Let me know!

Steve Hendrix

Another baffling decision from P1 - probably made by the same person who decided it was a good idea to sell the missing 12-pin sync cable to end users.

Jim

This is not restricted to Phase One. There are other lens manufacturers that do not share their information, including some manufacturers who already have Alpa lens adapters. It is by no means a dedicated Phase One issue. Contax did not share their lens information, and yet there is a Contax lens adapter. But do count me in as one who would love to be able to re-purpose the Phase One/Schneider lenses some day in other ways, as most of them are outstanding.

While I would love to use the Phase One/Schneider lenses on a tech camera, and cannot imagine how doing so would be a negative for Phase One, they must have their reasons and I will respect that, confounding as it may seem. As such, I don't see it as a baffling move by Phase One.

Steve Hendrix/CI

f8orbust

This is not restricted to Phase One ... Contax did not share their lens information...
And what happened to Contax ? :(

...I don't see it as a baffling move by Phase One.
If it's a short-sighted attempt to get people to invest in an XF then it makes sense.

But it's not an XF or tech cam proposition for most photographers; they often will own both (i.e. MF SLR + tech cam).

I'm not in the market for a MF SLR, but if I was I'd prefer one that gave me the option of using my MF SLR lenses on my tech cam. Choice is a good thing !

Jim

Steve Hendrix

And what happened to Contax ? :(

If it's a short-sighted attempt to get people to invest in an XF then it makes sense.

But it's not an XF or tech cam proposition for most photographers; they often will own both (i.e. MF SLR + tech cam).

I'm not in the market for a MF SLR, but if I was I'd prefer one that gave me the option of using my MF SLR lenses on my tech cam. Choice is a good thing !

Jim

Poor Contax! Well, poor us, really. I sold a rare IQ280 on Contax mount the other day and the photographer is ecstatic over having full frame digital on his Contax camera.

I agree about choice, Jim, but since I cannot see a realistic downside that would prevent them from sharing, there must be some reason, and in the absence of that, I will hold off judgement. And as said, they're not alone. For that matter, I would love it if Fuji would partner with Cambo and produce an electronic controller for the use of the Fuji G lenses on a Cambo Actus. I've been very impressed with the Fuji lenses we have in demo, especially the 23mm, and that would help fill a huge hole.

Steve Hendrix/CI