The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thinking of buying an IQ160 + XF Body or RZ67 Pro II (questions)

Quanti

I had posted the post in a similar way directly in the Phase One forum, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be so active. Now I'll give it a try here.

About my requirement profile:

Mostly handheld available light portrait photography. Rather continuous light than flash. To me, sharpness is less important than smoothness of tonality, color science, quality of bokeh and so on.

1. What features are not(!) available when using an IQ160 back on an XF body apart from battery sharing? And vice versa, what will be improved by using an XF body rather than an old DF+ body?

2. Regarding battery sharing. Does it mean I have to use 2 batteries (of the same type?) when working with an IQ160 back? how long do they typically last (indoors) when not using LiveView? More than 4 hours?

3. Where do I find all(!) firmware changelogs? I would like to know if anything that was noted in the initial reviews has already been fixed or other changes, like UI and so on.

4. Are there any sample .RAW files?

5. Is this combo weather sealed? Not sure yet if I buy a blue ring lens version.

6. When using aperture priority and auto-ISO - will the XF body go up to 3200 (Sensor+) if I want it to? Or to put it differently, can I specify the ISO range including Sensor+ and min./max. shutter speed?

7. Is it possible to take smaller files (15MP instead of 60MP) at base ISO as well?

8. Are there any other advantages or disadvantages that I might have overlooked so far?

9. A viable alternative for me would be a RZ 67 Pro II Body. I would like to buy that camera anyway for my analog shootings. An (expensive) adapter could be used. Does anyone have this or a similar combination in use? Does this still make sense in 2018/19? Having a single camera for 2 different uses seems practical to me. RZ 67 II Pro + Pentax 645Z or Leica S006 would probably also be possible. But not so handy.

I know it's been a lot of questions now. I am happy about every single (even short) answer.

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback. Have a great day!

steve_cor

7. Is it possible to take smaller files (15MP instead of 60MP) at base ISO as well

Regarding number 7, the answer is no, not at base ISO. Sensor Plus mode starts at ISO 200, so you would get 15MP instead of 60MP at ISO 200. But Sensor Plus mode is like two stops less noise, so it should be as clean as ISO 50.

--Steve.

kdphotography

XF over the DF/DF+-----it's not even comparable. XF AF performance alone is worth the price of upgrade, not to mention the quirks that many experienced with the old DF platform. Many other features on the XF are available, the value of which depends on the individual photographer and subject matter.

Two batteries---same type. One in the MFDB and one in the XF camera body. DF body uses different battery system. XF battery life is excellent with the new 3400 mah batteries. I have never had an issue with battery longevity. Many issues on the older platform could be attributed to low batteries, which the Li ion system resolved. Not an issue with the XF.

Contact a dealer re firmware changes (just get the latest) and RAW samples with C1 Pro.

Camera system holds up pretty well in the weather.

Blue Rings are worthwhile.

Have you seen the new IQ3 and IQ4 digital backs? Just sayin'.....;)

C'mon on in. The water's fine.

JamesJetel

Mate,

I’m not sure of your shooting style or aesthetic. How constructed your shots are, and what kind of help you have on set.

If you’re chasing light, working fast, or are solo - I think you’re gonna find the setup underwhelming.

A few big factors will conspire to work against you.

The 160 loves light, and I think the usable ISO range will restrict your possibilities. I actually like the grain at the higher ISOs, but for a lot of people, anything over 200 isn’t going to look great - or at the very least won’t give you a lot of latitude to push the files around. Depends on your aesthetic.

Focusing can be difficult and slow, depending on your lens and other factors. The XF system is a big improvement over the DF, but it’ll never be like the other 35mm offerings. Marry that with the shallow aperture you’re likely to need with the low ISO and lower light levels. Then marry THAT with the larger sensor that requires more critical focus in the first place, and I think you’re going to find yourself with a few more restrictions than you may like.

The IQ1 series review is a little slower than you may be used to, and checking focus on the back with a lot of ambient light can give you a false impression of your success

Some people find restrictions aid in their creativity, depends on you. There is a specific terrible feeling of looking at otherwise great photos in which you’ve missed the focus.

I find these things together end up killing the flow of certain shoots. Find the right tool for what you need to accomplish.

Best,
JJ

Quanti

Thanks.

After careful consideration I would probably do without a PhaseOne body altogether and use the back directly on the Mamiya RZ 67 Pro II. I photograph to 80% on film and would therefore always have that body with me. Therefore I would have to be more considerate of the lighting conditions anyway. For this I consider the purchase of LED continuous light, which could also be used with a rechargeable battery.

Regarding the other answers:

Yes, I also looked at IQ3 and IQ4. But with the prices, no thanks!

I usually work alone on the set. My way of working is very slow, because there is no time pressure. Nevertheless, the focus should of course be halfway there - I don't photograph with a tripod!

In the ideal case I would rent a digital back for testing (Vienna, Austria). But unfortunately there are no providers here. And not for an adapter plate on the Mamiya either.

baudolino

Hi Quanti, there must be a possibility to rent a Phase One back in Vienna. Perhaps Digitalstore? Or digitalkameraverleih.com? I will ask my contacts - I know some of them rent the XF cameras/backs for their shoots. By coincidence, I am looking at the same combo now - recently bought an unused RZ67 Pro IID, a HX701 adapter and just waiting for delivery of the masked focusing screen. Thinking of either the IQ160 or IQ180 back (I shoot portraits and nudes mostly, in a studio and with an assistant who can shine a torchlight at the subject for a few seconds while I manually focus). If you get there first, I will be interested to hear about your experience with the combo. FYI - Photo Nina has the adapter in stock (look her up on eBay.de) for about Eur1200 but you can bid her, she is usually prepared to do a deal.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

If you shoot 80% film, don't care about resolution, shoot always handheld, and prioritize bokeh and color above all else, I think the Leica S006 is going to work a lot better for you than an XF and 60mp Phase. I am sure some here might disagree, but that would be my take, as another person who shoots a mix of film and digital. The 006 is so cheap now too that I imagine you could buy several for the cost of 1 XF and 60mp back. I also think doing everything in one camera is seldom the best solution. I have tried that with the Sinar Hy6 back in the day, and generally the handling of one (and lens performance) suffers at the expense of the other. I do not think your RZ lenses will hold up well to the challenges of 60mp, even if you are not that concerned with resolution. Their field of view, chromatic aberration and fringing etc...they will all suffer. When I started with the Leica S I tried my Hasselblad FE lenses on it, and while they worked, they were clearly nothing like how they were on film....far less magical on digital. The S lenses, however, were superb on the S camera. Synergy is important here.

algrove

OP

Have you considered the 50MP Fuji?

I just got the 50R and it’s lenses are excellent. The 120mm has OIS for hand held use. The other lenses are terrific like the 110/2.0.

cly

In the ideal case I would rent a digital back for testing (Vienna, Austria). But unfortunately there are no providers here. And not for an adapter plate on the Mamiya either.
If renting in Germany is an option, you could try https://delight-rent.com . A couple of years ago I had a Mamiya and the P1 adapter from them - and they still list the camera with P1 backs so this should still work.

Chris