The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX, Techart/Kipon smart adapters, and Canon lenses

A month or so ago I read how well the 40mm Canon f2.8 pancake lens functions on GFX(50s) if you use a Techart or Kipon smart adapter, so I tried the Techart. I'm indeed impressed by the lens and how well the adapter autofocuses, but something else has surprised me:

When I mount this combination, the image format automatically switches from 4:3 to 3:2 – and can't be changed back again (as far as I can tell).

But the description of the Techart doesn't mention that this might happen, and Jonas Rask's sample images for this lens (and all other lenses) seem to be in the 4:3 format.

So I wonder:

– Is this, yet again, a User Error on my part?

–Or is this something the Techart adapter does with this lens, or maybe with all Canon lenses?

–And if it's 'built in,' does the Kipon adapter do the same? I'd be pleased to change adapters if I can have the 4:3 format back.

Many thanks in advance for advice,

Kirk

Danny Burk

It's a setting that shouldn't be set the way it is by default, IMO...it got me the first time too.

Go to Menu - Shooting Setting - Mount Adapter Setting - Switch to "off" rather than "auto" or "on". Then you'll get your aspect ratios back.

It's a setting that shouldn't be set the way it is by default, IMO...it got me the first time too.

Go to Menu - Shooting Setting - Mount Adapter Setting - Switch to "off" rather than "auto" or "on". Then you'll get your aspect ratios back.
Many thanks, Danny - I’d never have figured that out!

Kirk

Works fine now, full 4:3.

But that setting is so obscure and so deep in the menus that you’d need a miner’s headlamp to find it. My Techart came w/o instructions - maybe this setting is explained there?

Thx again, and I hope others with this little problem will also find this thread.

Kirk

Danny Burk

Yes, it's certainly hidden, and no, nothing from Techart explained it. When I got the Techart, I was alarmed to find the camera had switched to 3:2, same as you. After all, the main reason I bought the Fuji was to get 4:3 native ratio as well as the other crop modes. (Other reasons too, of course, but aspect ratios were #1.) I was still fiddling with it at 2 am and posted to one of the fora, where Marc (who is here too) kindly posted the solution right away.

It seems to me that it's a poor choice for default. If one wants to use crop mode, fine, but it shouldn't choose it automatically!

Also, since you have the Techart......don't forget to hold down the silver button while you turn on the camera and/or change lenses. Otherwise it will apply the incorrect profile for the GF 63/2.8, which isn't removable in ACR or LR.