The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best-of-the-Best Sony, Leica, and Phase One Comparison

narikin

I wish you had taken the 150mm sk 2.8 shots with the same field of view as the Leica 75 Noctilux to give depth of field equivalence assuming infinity can be achieved :)
Not OP, not my thread, but I think I have the Noctilux 75 vs 150/2.8 (but Mamiya-Phase, not SK-Phase) onto IQ-100 somewhere. Will see if I can dig anything up.

Although I never used either at infinity - just for portraits.

onasj

Just out of interest, can infinity focus be achieved in this config?

I wish you had taken the 150mm sk 2.8 shots with the same field of view as the Leica 75 Noctilux to give depth of field equivalence assuming infinity can be achieved :)
The Leica lens adapted through the Alpa to the IQ3/4 (with no spacer) can indeed focus properly, to infinity.

With a spacer you cover the whole sensor but lose long-distance focusing.

DB5

Here's the full image of the Leica 75 Noctilux on the IQ4 at ISO 100. The dark corners are much less intrusive than one might think (that is, the visible image is much larger than just the 35 mm image circle), but keep in mind the subject was close to the minimum focusing distance which ameliorates the loss of the corners. When shooting distant subjects, the image circle will be a bit smaller, although not as much as I thought-- I just checked!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b63wo792n6gzbin/IQ4-100-1s-5.6-Leica 75 Noct.jpg?dl=0

As a mentioned in my article, if you crop away all the black corners and preserve the aspect ratio of the IQ4 (4:3), you end up with 80-90 megapixels, which is still a boatload of resolution. Until someone releases MF digital back-compatible lenses with very large apertures and superb image quality, I suspect some of Leica's offerings will be about as high-performance as you can get currently, even with the loss of those corners.

Finally, if you add some space between the Leica 75 Noctilux lens and the IQ sensor, you can fully cover the sensor (a 17-mm spacer will do it on my Alpa), but of course this solution comes with the downsides of any extension tube, including that the maximum focusing distance is no longer infinity but substantially closer.

-Onasj
Thanks very much for sharing the image. The image quality is very impressive. :thumbs:

Do you know the max focusing distance with the spacer?