The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hassy on the way?

vieri

To summarize, Vieri's glass is half full. Massive Si's is half empty. That's the way it always is.
:ROTFL: Guess that's a good way to put it! :ROTFL:

Seriously, I was just trying to bring a bit of perspective to the forum drama here. I.e, imagine tomorrow Hasselblad announces X2D, with 100 Mp, live view histogram, whathaveyou, and shipping immediately. Immediate forum rejoice, immediate forum cheers: suddenly, Hasselblad is no more forum-dead :) Imagine also if, one month after that, the Fuji 100MP is still not available. Now, Fuji is forum-doomed :) And so on, wash, rinse & repeat until the next cycle...

Rather than glass emptiness (or fullness) my point, I guess, is just to give a bit less credit, importance and weight to forum rumours. Cameras are meant to be used, and they won't stop working if a competitor announce a new model, so my suggestion would be just to get the gear one thinks is best for him at any given time, enjoy it, go out there and shoot - in the end, enjoying photography should be what this is all about :)

Best regards,

Vieri

dave.gt

:ROTFL: Guess that's a good way to put it! :ROTFL:

Seriously, I was just trying to bring a bit of perspective to the forum drama here. I.e, imagine tomorrow Hasselblad announces X2D, with 100 Mp, live view histogram, whathaveyou, and shipping immediately. Immediate forum rejoice, immediate forum cheers: suddenly, Hasselblad is no more forum-dead :) Imagine also if, one month after that, the Fuji 100MP is still not available. Now, Fuji is forum-doomed :) And so on, wash, rinse & repeat until the next cycle...

Rather than glass emptiness (or fullness) my point, I guess, is just to give a bit less credit, importance and weight to forum rumours. Cameras are meant to be used, and they won't stop working if a competitor announce a new model, so my suggestion would be just to get the gear one thinks is best for him at any given time, enjoy it, go out there and shoot - in the end, enjoying photography should be what this is all about :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Thanks, Vieri!:thumbup:

The voice of reason is always comforting.:)

Massive Si

I have to say it's a little frustrating when people extrapolate ones view to extreme ends

never have I commented on the future of hasselblad as a company, I have never said it was going to collapse because of the X1D or cut out its dealer network.
Hasselblad gave an interview where they said it was B&H who ran out of stock which caused them to say the X1D was discontinued, then Hasselblad themselves stopped selling it new, offering only CPO models.

I am not interested in sensational misquoting/misinterpreting of my opinions, just suffice to say I am reluctant to purchase an X1D at this time.
My money, my choice, my view

I think I'll back away from this discussion now, as I am clearly "wrong"

dave.gt

I have to say it's a little frustrating when people extrapolate ones view to extreme ends

never have I commented on the future of hasselblad as a company, I have never said it was going to collapse because of the X1D or cut out its dealer network.
Hasselblad gave an interview where they said it was B&H who ran out of stock which caused them to say the X1D was discontinued, then Hasselblad themselves stopped selling it new, offering only CPO models.

I am not interested in sensational misquoting/misinterpreting of my opinions, just suffice to say I am reluctant to purchase an X1D at this time.

Nah, no worries, we are all in the dark. Dante loves it that way!:)

Besides, it isn't exactly my idea of great marketing when vendors post their offerings like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/X1D_50C/Ntt/X1D-50C/N/0

We are all wondering... Whatever, time on the forums takes away from time being creative. Speaking of which, it is time for me to get out and shoot! Hope you all can do the same. I'm outta here for the rest of the day!

:thumbs:

vieri

Sorry to have given you that impression, it definitely wasn't my intention. If you re-read my message, you'll find my general thoughts, and at one point a paragraph starting with "Coming to your last message," which is where I am referring to, well, your last message :) Until then, it was all general considerations - sorry if I didn't make that clearer, my bad. As well, I never quoted nor misquoted your opinions, I don't think, let alone doing so in a sensational way.

Best regards,

Vieri

B L

Coming to communication etc., we are truly in the realm of opinions and personal preferences: some might prefer Fuji's approach, others Hasselblad's (or Leica's for that matter, since they are very similar). On the one hand, I appreciate it that everyone would like things to be communicated to them the way they like, but at the same time we should accept that camera makers might think differently. Whether we like it or not it's of course a different story - I came from three years of Leica, as an Ambassador, so trust me: I know your frustration, perhaps even more so since people for some reasons thought I should know all the secrets and just not tell them, while the truth was that I really didn't know much more that the general public - and if and when I did, I couldn't tell anyway, having signed a NDA.

Best regards,

Vieri[/QUOTE]

I think Leica is different. Why do I say that? Because Leica still publishes biMonthly magazines to maintain touch.
I think Hasselblad should reintroduce their "forum" magazine or something like it.

Godfrey

I must be becoming an old fogey because I honestly cannot see a single thing that I need a 100 Mpixel sensor for. I don't need/want autofocus, don't give a hoot whether a camera has bluetooth in it, etc.

I guess for me the announcement of a new, updated X1D body will be a celebration time because you folks who must have the latest and greatest will dump your X1D bodies for whatever the new things is, and I'll have my pick of a half dozen good X1D bodies at a reasonable price.

Yay! :D

Seriously, I look forward to seeing whatever H puts into the new model, but I'll likely buy a refurbished X1D and an XCD 21mm lens, if I buy anything at all.

G

mristuccia

Fully agree.
It will be a win-win for me as well. :)

I must be becoming an old fogey because I honestly cannot see a single thing that I need a 100 Mpixel sensor for. I don't need/want autofocus, don't give a hoot whether a camera has bluetooth in it, etc.

I guess for me the announcement of a new, updated X1D body will be a celebration time because you folks who must have the latest and greatest will dump your X1D bodies for whatever the new things is, and I'll have my pick of a half dozen good X1D bodies at a reasonable price.

Seriously, I look forward to seeing whatever H puts into the new model, but I'll likely buy a refurbished X1D and an XCD 21mm lens, if I buy anything at all.

G

danlindberg

It won't be mine coming out on the second hand market.
With my style of photography I have no probs with slowness or other known quirks. It does not affect my end result, instead I am truly enjoying one body + three lenses in a bag that weighs 2,5kg in total - with the power of producing my galleryprints at 140x100cm.

Godfrey, I can see someone buying into the system because of that XCD21!!!

vieri

I think Leica is different. Why do I say that? Because Leica still publishes biMonthly magazines to maintain touch.
I think Hasselblad should reintroduce their "forum" magazine or something like it.
You are totally right in that Leica has the LFI magazine, which I love as a photography magazine. However, that is just a great photography magazine, there is no communication about product roadmaps, product availability or the like in there. As far as their announcement policies, which is what I was talking about, Leica seems to be following exactly the same model as Hasselblad.

Best regards,

Vieri

ErikKaffehr

Hi Godfrey,

I would be pretty sure that the 100 MP is going to have benefits. Just as an example, it will render skin and hair more subtly, at least when medium to large aperture are used and focus is accurate. Also, the sensor is like five years newer, so design is improved.

I guess that many users will upgrade to 100 MP and that will make the older 50 MP cameras more affordable.

Best regards
Erik

G

hcubell

I hope you did not take my glass half full/ glass half empty comment as critical of you. I am sorry if you took it that way. I just meant that different people interpret the same information (or lack of information) in completely different ways.
I think that it will become clearer in the next couple of months where Hasselblad is headed.

Godfrey

It won't be mine coming out on the second hand market.
With my style of photography I have no probs with slowness or other known quirks. It does not affect my end result, instead I am truly enjoying one body + three lenses in a bag that weighs 2,5kg in total - with the power of producing my galleryprints at 140x100cm.

Godfrey, I can see someone buying into the system because of that XCD21!!!
:D

The XCD 21mm lens was the thing I've been waiting for. Fitted with that lens and set to crop square, it is finally my Hasselblad SWC in a fully digital form (plus more, of course), with enough (39 Mpixel) resolution to do the business the way I want.

The fact that they have now implemented electronic shutter on the sensor, have a V system to X system lens mount adapter, and third parties are offering Leica R to X system adapters means that buying a body, the 21mm lens, and those two adapters nets me a usable system with lenses from 15mm to 360mm.

I'm sure 100 Mpixel will be technically better at some things. But I don't print to extraordinary sizes and I haven't seen much in FF 35mm format that I need past 24 Mpixel resolution. Ultra-ultrawide like the above will net a small but useful boost in detail/tonal capability at 39 Mpixel. The larger format sensor and 50 Mpixel means that I can do more with fewer lenses through cropping, etc.

All good!
G

I picked up a used X1D 4116 the last week for £6999. Hasselblad has really done a good job improving the firmware since I rented a X1D 2-3 years ago, and I even like how you can use the touch screen to move the focusing point when using the EVF. Absolutely love it, and it's barely left my side for two weeks. My only regret is that since I bought it I know seem to want to buy lots of lenses :)

Here's a crazy thought: what if the X1D mkII is still 50mp and just has a faster processor and maybe a slightly different body?

nathantw

I can't image they would put the same sensor in a different body. The X1D is a fine camera as it is.
So my question is that if a 50mp sensor is 43.8×32.9mm would the X1D lenses and lens mount actually fit the 100mp sensor of the 53.7×40.4mm? If the current mount/lenses don't fit or cover the 53.7x40.4mm sensor (or a little larger) then Hasselblad was very shortsighted.

So my question is that if a 50mp sensor is 43.8×32.9mm would the X1D lenses and lens mount actually fit the 100mp sensor of the 53.7×40.4mm? If the current mount/lenses don't fit or cover the 53.7x40.4mm sensor (or a little larger) then Hasselblad was very shortsighted.
The 100MP Sony sensor that Fuji (and presumably HB) will be using is 43.8x32.9, the so-called crop sensor medium format, as opposed to the 100MP and 150MP 53.7x40.4 so-called full frame medium format sensors used in the Phase One. The 100MP Fuji (and presumably HB) sensor is the same as the Phase One 150MP sensor, only smaller in size, hence fewer MP.

Last edited: