The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hassy on the way?

glennedens

The CE mark and FTZ tests are yet to be completed as far as I can tell, however, most firms do FCC first so that is not surprising (many other countries accept FCC approval, some don't). To do the testing one must submit a final production unit (from the final manufacturing line) although it can still have pre-production software. The one thing that is missing from the certification application is for GPS, so maybe we won't yet get integrated GPS, that can also be done as a rubber stamp if a fully approved sub-assembly is used.

Yes, exciting, we are close!

Glenn

glennedens

Funny Howard, I think our posts overlapped in the Ether :) Thank you for posting the FCC link.

Glenn

Well, it appears that the arrival of the Hasselblad successor to the X1D is getting closer. https://fccid.io/2AEFA-X1D1907/Test-Report/Test-Report-4295655
There are two interesting things in that report about the approval of the X1D Mark II by the Bluetooth Org. One, the Mark II is exactly the same size as the X1D. Assuming that it uses the new Sony 100mp cropped MF sensor, it would appear that Hasselblad has managed to preserve the form factor of the X1D. This would create a very clear cut choice between the X2D and the Fuji GFX 100S. A huge beast of a camera with IBIS, or a small lightweight camera with no IBIS, with both offering the same basic image quality.
Two, the Bluetooth testing was done in China, near the HQ of DJI. That would suggest that DJI was very involved in the engineering and possibly the manufacturing of the X2D. Personally, I would view that as a positive. DJI is the repository of a vast amount of technological and manufacturing competence.
We should have some answers in the not too distant future. Should be interesting.

hcubell

Photorumors posted info related to this:

https://photorumors.com/2019/05/28/...ra-registered-with-another-government-agency/

There's a short-term confidentiality release date for the report in the photorumors article listed as July 11th, 2019 in the screenshot.

Sounds like we might see the camera announcement on or before 7/11/19
Todd, that date is 45 days from the May 27 date of the FCC report/approval, which is apparently the maximum number of days for preserving confidentiality under the applicable rules without some sort of formal request for additional time. I assume that Hasselblad just accepted the minimum 45 days because it planned an earlier announcement. I still expect that the announcement will come before Fuji starts shipping the GFX 100S in mid to late June.
It remains to be seen whether the new X2D will be directly competitive with the GFX 100S. The X2D will presumably use the same 100mp Sony sensor, but in a dramatically smaller and more compact package. The GFX 100S is really huge, but it has IBIS. It may also have much more sophisticated AF capabilities than the X2D. Fuji has lots of experience/technology working with phase detect AF in its X series mirrorless cameras. Hasselblad doesn’t have that experience/technology to draw upon. We may very well find that the differences between the X2D and the GFX 100S are far more pronounced than the differences between the X1D and the GFX 50S/R. The 100S may be a much more versatile camera in many ways than the X2D, but that versatility comes at a huge price in size and weight and many photographers may choose to sacrifice the IBIS and superior AF capabilities and go with a camera that they feel much more comfortable hiking/traveling/walking around with. I know in my case that I have long past the stage where I would work with a camera system of that size, particularly when there was a much more compact alternative that offers the same basic image quality.

glennedens

(EDIT: I started typing this before the other posts, got distracted by a phone call, and just hit send. I suspect the Mark II part is potentially significant, a name change can happen at the last minute, but that's more paperwork and time so vendors usually use a model number that "hides" the intent - for example the Leica S3 was called the HW64)

That was quick, getting a grant from the FCC turned around in a day, I've seen it take longer :)

That July 11th date looks like it is just the standard 45 days after grant of certification from the FCC, that doesn't actually mean much, Hasselblad could annunce sooner or later (they are not confined by this date).

Of my three options in the earlier email I'm going to go out on a limb and guess (wildly) that the X1D Mark II moniker implies a revamp of the current camera and does not predict a 100mp version yet - but hey this is all speculation. In past registrations the H1 to H2 to H3 to Hx was named in the application, so it seems unusual to use the Mark II terminology?

While we are waiting and speculating I'm still really enjoying using the X1D!

Photorumors posted info related to this:

https://photorumors.com/2019/05/28/...ra-registered-with-another-government-agency/

There's a short-term confidentiality release date for the report in the photorumors article listed as July 11th, 2019 in the screenshot.

Sounds like we might see the camera announcement on or before 7/11/19

tcdeveau

Thanks Howard and glennedens for the clarification, forget my earlier post then.

I just assumed since it says "if no date is specified, the release date will be set to 45 calendar days past the date of grant", and they specified a date instead of leaving it null, that the date which was specified may have some significance (of course I didn't bother to do the math or look at the regulations).

I'm currently on vacation enjoying my X1D for the first time in awhile, so I guess I'll get back to it....and my beer :chug:

hcubell

Of my three options in the earlier email I'm going to go out on a limb and guess (wildly) that the X1D Mark II moniker implies a revamp of the current camera and does not predict a 100mp version yet - but hey this is all speculation. In past registrations the H1 to H2 to H3 to Hx was named in the application, so it seems unusual to use the Mark II terminology?
You may be right, but I just can't imagine why Hasselblad would spend the time and resources to do a refresh of the X1D with a sensor that is quite dated and limiting in terms of performance enhancements. The GFX 100S is very likely to be joined in the lineup soon by a GFX 100R, and Sony and Canon and probably Nikon will be coming out with 60-70MP FF cameras in the Fall. Those of us who are experienced with medium format digital know its not just about the megapixels, but a RELATIVELY low(er) MP count is a nonstarter in today's market.

I picked up a used X1D 4116 the last week for £6999. Hasselblad has really done a good job improving the firmware since I rented a X1D 2-3 years ago, and I even like how you can use the touch screen to move the focusing point when using the EVF. Absolutely love it, and it's barely left my side for two weeks. My only regret is that since I bought it I know seem to want to buy lots of lenses :)

Here's a crazy thought: what if the X1D mkII is still 50mp and just has a faster processor and maybe a slightly different body?
Called it!

Charles S

You may be right, but I just can't imagine why Hasselblad would spend the time and resources to do a refresh of the X1D with a sensor that is quite dated and limiting in terms of performance enhancements. The GFX 100S is very likely to be joined in the lineup soon by a GFX 100R, and Sony and Canon and probably Nikon will be coming out with 60-70MP FF cameras in the Fall. Those of us who are experienced with medium format digital know its not just about the megapixels, but a RELATIVELY low(er) MP count is a nonstarter in today's market.
Just speculating here, but how about they couldn't crack IBIS

Godfrey

... I just can't imagine why Hasselblad would spend the time and resources to do a refresh of the X1D with a sensor that is quite dated and limiting in terms of performance enhancements. ...
IMO, there's a lot more to a camera than just the sensor. The X1D sensor has always been excellent, lots of other things make up the performance of a camera.

My ancient Olympus E-1 has a superb sensor ... 16 years old now, still only 5Mpixel but still superb. Better since raw processing technology has improved so much that it outperforms what it did in 2003 when it was released. And the rest of the camera is also amongst the best designed DSLRs ever. I wish Olympus had simply done the kind of improvement to responsiveness and UI speed that Hasselblad seems to be focusing on with the X1D II rather than changing the entire design out for the E-3 and E-5.

The X1D as it was performed beautifully. The X1D II will too, and it will do so with more responsiveness and be easier to use in the process. And they've lowered the price. What's not to like?

G