The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 + Alpa TC hand-held, low-light stage photos

onasj

More IQ4 tech cam stage photos in modest light, all hand-held with ES using the Rodi 50 HR@f/4, this time carefully avoiding scenes that were predominantly lit by only a small number of (strobing) LEDs as the primary lighting source, thus avoiding the banding issues I described in my earlier thread.

The combination of large dynamic range, strong high-ISO performance, plenty of pixels for cropping, and decent live-view focus masking (peaking) fared pretty well. I was seated in the audience, with not particularly good seats.

Girl in Fire-tiny.jpg
Waterside Tango-tiny.jpg
Shake it off-tiny.jpg
Damsel in Tree-tiny.jpg
Fear-tiny.jpg
Dance Circle-tiny.jpg

algrove

onasj

Nice series. I would like to know about your exposures like SS, ISO, was f stop f4.0, etc. How are you firing the ES? Like with the IQ3100 with the button on the LCD?

onasj

onasj

Nice series. I would like to know about your exposures like SS, ISO, was f stop f4.0, etc. How are you firing the ES? Like with the IQ3100 with the button on the LCD?
All images were shot wide open (f/4) to keep ISOs comfortably low, though in retrospect the noise was low enough that I could have gone to f/5.6. ISO was generally around 2000, adjusted on the fly based on the lighting conditions. Shutter was 1/250-1/320 mostly, and occasionally 1/400 when the actors were moving quickly. ES was fired with the button on the LCD screen. I used 16 bit large image quality, not 16EX. 14 might have been equivalent at these ISOs. Surprisingly, IQ4 sensor readout time under these settings was fast enough that none of my images suffered from obvious rolling shutter human deformities (you can see one deformed hand in the dancers shaking water image, but it doesn’t really detract from the image), even during action shots, probably in part because I was sitting far enough away that the subjects were not too many pixel rows tall.

The nice feature of this setup is that the entire outfit when packed in ready-to-shoot configuration is smaller than my Nikon DSLR!. Everything (IQ4, lens, Alpa TV + 2 spare batteries) fits into an “F-stop Tiny Micro” bag with the dimensions of an iPad mini, but ~4” thick, which makes it practical for stage and street photography. I added a shoulder strap and now I can carry this outfit with me just about anywhere without drawing attention or provoking the ire of security.

Being a tech cam, ISO, focus, shutter, and aperture were of course all adjusted manually.

TheDude

More IQ4 tech cam stage photos in modest light, all hand-held with ES using the Rodi 50 HR@f/4...
Was agonizing whether or not to buy the Rodenstock 50mm f/4 Digaron-W Lens so long it was still available with copal shutter. Seeing these photographs I am glad I did (although the lens certainly wasn't the critical component).

Now I just need a digital back with an electronic shutter!

Last edited:

onasj

Was agonizing whether or not to buy the Rodenstock 50mm f/4 Digaron-W Lens so long it was still available with copal shutter. Seeing these photographs I am glad I did (although the lens certainly wasn't the critical component).

Now I just need a digital back with an electronic shutter!
The lens is amazing. "Only" f/4, but hard to find fault with it, even being picky. As it should be for the price!

narikin

Nice compact setup.

Just fyi, it's pointless using IIQL16 once you go above 100iso. And certainly by 400/800 the DR isn't there to fill it. You may as well be on the IIQL14, and save XQD space, and speed things up for yourself.

The ES sweep also takes longer in 16 than 14, so more chance of the jellies.