The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LF someone with knowledge of older analog HBlads

GeekAndProud

I have a personal project that I am currently working on which organises all the technical information for every Hasselblad camera manufactured in the last 50 years.
The information for H bodies is relatively easy to find but finding information on the older systems is not so easy.

For an example of what I am looking for the relevant url is: https://hasselonians.com/cameradb

Of course the analog bodies do not have sensor type, dimensions etc but they do have supported film sizes etc.

If anyone interested could you reply to this topic it would be very helpful!

rmueller

The other option is to collect the information from the Hasselblad web site, go to
https://www.hasselblad.com/my-hasselblad/#/downloads
and select the product you're interested in. They have user manuals for pretty much all of
the cameras, lenses, accessories etc. still online and free for download
(i guess you need to register as a user if not already done so but then its free).

Regards,
Ralf

jng

Wildi's book(s) are indeed a good source of information. You might also check out the Hasselblad Historical website:

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/

The "hardware" link will take you to a listing of brochures and owners manuals for the V system bodies and lenses.

John

Steve Hendrix

Wildi's book(s) are indeed a good source of information. You might also check out the Hasselblad Historical website:

Hasselblad Historical

The "hardware" link will take you to a listing of brochures and owners manuals for the V system bodies and lenses.

John

Will these be of help? Some pages have some additional product links at the bottom.

Hasselblad Historical - concise tabulated history of camera models

Hasselblad Historical - Zeiss Lens Data Sheets

Hasselblad camera models - A Pictorial History

Hasselblad Carl Zeiss T* lenses

Edit: I see some of these produced from John, apologize for any duplicates.

Steve Hendrix/CI

richardman

Specifically re: film sizes, all V system cameras use the same set of interchangeable backs. The default is the 6x6 x12 (where x is either A or E - E for the electronic 200 series) back. the A24 or E24 is same 6x6 size except for the 220 film. The A16 provides 6x4.5 film size. There is also a A16V, for vertical 6x4.5. Finally (?), there are also the A16S back which has a (useless? superslide) 4cmx4cm opening.

All Hasselblad "analog" cameras, except the earliest 1000 and 1600, can take these backs, including the SWC, Flexbody, and Arcbody. The 1000/1600 uses the older C12 back.

jng

I routinely used the 16 and 16S backs, back in the day. As mentioned the 40x40 16S is "Superslide" format, which allowed projection in standard 2x2" slide projectors (my reason for using it). One upside of shooting with the 16 and 16S backs is that they allowed 33% more exposures per roll of 120 film (16 vs 12, although I would typically eek out a 13th exposure on the 12's) - a compromise but a reasonable oneIMHO. I typically only shot transparency film in the 16S.

I mostly used the 645 format 16 back on the SWC when having gobs of foreground wasn't desired. I never came across a vertical 16V back and not sure that Hasselblad ever made one - this would seem superfluous in any case as one would lose image area without gaining anything in return. All that said, the 6x6 square format remains my favorite.

John

EDIT: As far as I know, the older C and A backs will work on all bodies including the 1000F and 1600F. The main difference is that the A backs will automatically line up the first frame after loading the film, whereas with the older backs one would need to look for the "1" printed on the paper backing to appear in the little window to know when to stop turning the little crank. Old school.

jng

Richard,

Thanks for the clarification and info on the 35mm back, which seems both exotic and not so useful at the same time, but not in the way that blood red Italian sports cars are. Of all the Hasselblad unicorns I've chased over the years (and there have been a few), I never knew that these existed!

John