The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P25+ Hasselblad V Experts, Long Exposure Help Needed

Piargwarf

Hi, everyone. First a little background and then a help needed from some more experienced/knowledgeable folks.

Background

I've been reading around these forums for about 6 months. I'm a long time 35mm/DSLR landscape shooter. I've been intrigued by the rendering to medium format for awhile now. I bought into the hasselblad V system last year (Swc, 501c, 80mm, 150mm). I'm loving the combination of field of view and compression I get from longer lenses on this larger format.
Anyway, I bought my first digital back about 3 weeks ago, Phase One P25+. I got this back for the "fat pixel" look and long Exposure ability. Largely purchased this based on discussions and samples I've seen here.

Problem

I'm having trouble figuring out the process of bulb exposures with the Phase backs and Hasselblad SWC?

I assumed I could set the lens to "B," plug in a cable release with a lock, use the sync cable as I would otherwise (from lens sync port to back), and simply time out the exposure using the cable lock to open/close the shutter when necessary. However, when I do this, the back triggers a 1/30th exposure? I know the shutter is staying open as I've removed the back and watched it stay open for the duration the shutter release is pressed. This process works on my 501c, but only triggers a 1/30 exposure on the SWC.

I have been able to take some longer exposures by: 1) pressing button on sync cable, 2) open shutter, 3) press again and hold button on sync cable. The issue here is the duration of the exposure is how long I hold the sync cable button. Which would obviously introduce alot of camera shake (not to mention be extremely tedious for a half hour!).

I'm getting a bit discouraged. I've searched around alot, but I'm not finding the solution. I'm assuming I need some alternate sync cable? Or maybe there's some combination of settings and button/shutter presses I'm missing? Please help!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ben730

Hi
Set the P25+ to "Short latency".
You have to use a cable release with a lock function.
Normally you have to turn the silver wheel of the cable.
Then it should work with "B". (See picture.)
I hope that helps...

Don't forget to make a LCC profile.
I loved my SWC and I still love my P25+.
Great combination!

Regards,
Ben

Attachments