The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Actus - bellows and rails sizing for M645?

RossNH

I'm considering getting a Cambo Actus with my Sony A7RII as the back. I shot Mamiya 645 film for a while and have the 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 80mm, 110mm, 120mm, 150mm, and 210mm lenses.

I looked around and haven't been able to find at which focal lengths the larger rails and long bellows at the long end/macro or wide-angle bellows at the short end become preferred/necessary.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or provide any experience or feedback, I'd appreciate it. I'm basically trying to see what might work with the basic kit and standard bellows and what other gear I might need.

Thanks!

Shashin

The flange distance is the same for all those lenses. I am not sure you need a longer rail unless focusing by the lens helicoid would introduce vignetting with movements.

Audii-Dudii

I'm considering getting a Cambo Actus with my Sony A7RII as the back. I shot Mamiya 645 film for a while and have the 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 80mm, 110mm, 120mm, 150mm, and 210mm lenses.

I looked around and haven't been able to find at which focal lengths the larger rails and long bellows at the long end/macro or wide-angle bellows at the short end become preferred/necessary.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or provide any experience or feedback, I'd appreciate it. I'm basically trying to see what might work with the basic kit and standard bellows and what other gear I might need.

Thanks!
The FFD of the A7RII is 18 mm and it's 63.3 mm for the M645 lenses, which leaves 45.3 mm for the Actus to occupy in between them.

The OEM Actus bellows with three pleats will work just fine with this camera / lens combo, just as it does with my Sony A7R / C645 lens combo, the latter of which has an FFD of 64.0 mm, which is just slightly longer than your M645 lenses.

Abstraction

Thanks!
The longer rails/bellows are necessary for macro work. The greater the extension, the greater the magnification. If you're looking to do general photography, the standard bellows and rail would be the way to go. The wide (short) bellows are needed for lenses with small flange distance such the Rodenstock and other lenses meant strictly for the technical cameras. If you're adapting from an existing mount, especially a mount with a flange distance as great as that of Mamiya 645, the standard bellows is the what you should get to maintain infinity focus.

RossNH

Thanks for the responses, all, very much appreciated. I figured the standard bellows would work for general photography but wasn't sure about macro. Hadn't considered large format/tech camera lenses yet and probably won't for some time.