The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D MkII Initial thoughts

sog1927

What about a first time buyer............Im actually thinking of getting one rather than a new Leica SL2. I know the SL2 is not MF but I need something to screw my 50mm Noctilux onto (its my faviriout lens period). I had it on my M10 but hopeless for me so sold the M10 and waiting for the SL2............or now maybe the X1D II to go with my H6D100c
Neil
I'm a pretty big fan of the X1D. I haven't touched a Mk II, but it certainly seems like a really nice refinement of the original concept. Some considerations:

1) Unlike some M lenses, I believe the Noctilux will not cover the entire frame of the X1D, so you'll have to crop. It should cover the square format, though. There are certainly people who have used various M lenses (including the Noctilux) quite successfully on the X1D.

2) You will be limited to the electronic shutter on the X1D, because unlike the SL2 it does not have a focal-plane shutter in the body. That means no flash, and you'll have to watch out for distortion from both camera motion and moving subjects (the "Lartigue effect"). It takes 0.3 seconds to read out the sensor, so even if you have a higher shutter speed set, you'll still have to be steady for that long. If you don't, your subject will look "stretched" in the direction of motion.

3) On the bright side, you'll be able to use all of your H-series lenses with the XH adapter. The shutters and apertures will work just as they do on the H6D, and if the firmware is recent enough some will autofocus.

The native X1D lenses are absolutely superb, by the way.

Nice to see you back! How have you been?

sog1927

On the dust issue, I have to confess that the first time I changed lenses on my X1D in the field I sneezed.

Don't do that. ;)

ndwgolf

Nice to see you back! How have you been?
Thanks for asking

Ive been struggling the last couple of years due to PTSD (I was seriously assaulted in Nigeria while managing an Oil Rig) Im getting there but its been a long road to try and get back to being me.

I'm excited about possibly getting a new X1D II but also in the back of my mind think its crazy seeing as both my H6D100c and S007 along with all there lenses are sitting in a dry box in Kuala Lumpur and I'm living in Phuket.
Anyway I will see if my supplier in KL can get me one and if so I will probably just say F@uck it and get one.

Neil

dave.gt

Thanks for asking

Ive been struggling the last couple of years due to PTSD (I was seriously assaulted in Nigeria while managing an Oil Rig) Im getting there but its been a long road to try and get back to being me.

I'm excited about possibly getting a new X1D II but also in the back of my mind think its crazy seeing as both my H6D100c and S007 along with all there lenses are sitting in a dry box in Kuala Lumpur and I'm living in Phuket.
Anyway I will see if my supplier in KL can get me one and if so I will probably just say F@uck it and get one.

Neil
Neil,

Dang!!!:bugeyes:

Sorry to hear about that! Glad you are ok, though.:)

Hope things get better soon.:thumbup:

Dave

sog1927

Thanks for asking

Neil
That's just terrible, Neil. I'm very sorry to hear about this.