The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the Closest DSLR Image Quality Compared to Hasselblad X1d

rollsman44

OK I think by now I have enough info to pass on to him. By the way he is currently using a Nikon D 810 for portraits and general use. Thank you everyone for your recommendations

RobbieAB

OK I think by now I have enough info to pass on to him. By the way he is currently using a Nikon D 810 for portraits and general use. Thank you everyone for your recommendations
So he already is invested in the Nikon DSLR range? D850 is the obvious candidate if the D810 needs an upgrade.

If he was invested in the Canon DSLR system, either the 5Ds(r) or the 5Dmk4 depending on which has less annoying limitations. If invested in Sony, A7r3/4 (? I guess, I don’t know the Sony system that well).

If not invested in any FF system, go into a camera shop and handle them all, as well as the Nikon Z and Canon R cameras. Starting from scratch I personally would go for one of the mirrorless options over a DSLR as they are clearly the future, but that is a personal thing.

pegelli

What is he "missing" in his D810 that makes him long for a X1D?

Jeffg53

I would be inclined to upgrade his lenses. I went from an H4D to a D800 and then D850. The image quality is very close and with adapted Leica R lenses you get a beautiful image. The H glass is good but the Leica lenses really sing.

ErikKaffehr

First define closest. I don’t know what quality of the X1D you are valuing, and in fact why the X1D is the “gold standard” by which you are building your comparison on. Nice camera, but lots of cameras deliver terrific results, it’s more about the person using the camera.

Second, from this statement you are reaching a conclusion and opinion based on a single reply by a person who is a d850 owner, and quite biased one at that ... and I”m not criticizing Doug for his very open bias, nothing wrong with it, we all have bias towards our choices. But how can any one who hasn’t shot shot extensively with other options (especially an X1D) such as Canon or more importantly Sony how can they offer any legitimate opinion to answer your question?

I’ll be honest, I can’t tell you what’s “closest”, and I would never make a statement implying such because I have no clue what an X1D offers. I will tell you that I can get results I’m happy with using Sony and the a7r4 is a pretty amazing piece of hardware, and the limit of my comparative expertise would be Sony, Fuji, and Phase One. If you can get opinions from those who own an X1D as well as other options, such as d850, a7r4, etc, then you might have some useful opinions.

And what really puzzles me is why you are asking for a friend. Seems your friend should be doing the research on this.
Very wise words...

I would ask, what is meant by image quality?

• There is noise level, often called (SNR), which tells how smooth midtones are. Than there is dynamic range, which essentially says how much the shadows can be pushed without excessive noise.
  • Than we have sharpness, which is almost entirely related to lens, although the sensor can also play a role.
  • To that comes ghosting, weiling flare, residual errors, etc.

The Hasselblad X1D has a Sony sensor. There are two DSLRs actually using the same sensor the Pentax 645Z and the Phase One FX combined with the IQ350 sensor.

If the OP is asking about 24x36 mm DSLRs, the Nikon 850 is an obvious answer, as it uses a Sony sensor, similar to the X1D.

If the OP means 24x36 mm, the Sony A7rIV probably has the best match for the X1D sensorwise, but it is no DSLR.

For sharpness, it is more about lenses than cameras. The lenses for the X1D seem to be very good, but quite expensive.

The Fuji GFX 50 uses the same sensor, but the lenses are quite affordable. The GFX system also has a 100 MP sensor. Expensive but it may make a lot of sense.

Nikon Z7 uses a high resolution Sony sensor and the new lenses are probably pretty good. With the Sony you get plenty of lens options. Some very good, some less good.

Just to say, I don't know if a DSLR (flipping mirror) camera makes a lot of sense these days. EVF cameras use the sensor for focusing which can reduce/eliminate a lot of focusing issues.

With lenses, it may be that you get what you pay for. There may be some exceptions, tough. Rational production may make lenses affordable. Large aperture lenses are easier to sell at high prices, so high quality medium aperture lenses may be a bit rare.

In many cases, I would think the photographer may be the main limitation. Excellent optics and sensor may not help a lot if you need to stop down a lot for DoF or don't get focus exactly right.

Best regards
Erik

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

What is he "missing" in his D810 that makes him long for a X1D?
Hi,

I cannot say, obviously...

But a slightly larger sensor has some advantages. Think about same IQ at 160 ISO on the X1D as at 100 ISO on the D810.

Foremost, the X1D seems to have really excellent lenses, at least based on the samples Vieri has shown. I don't think many lenses from Nikon can keep up with those.

Medium format lenses usually have not so large maximum apertures but are often optimized for corner to corner sharpness.

Best regards
Erik

bab

Besides all of the above.... the color science wanted from the files, AF intent of use and whether or not he is using the file for large prints would be the most important questions to ask your friend before really anyone could give him an intelligent answer. But with those answers you could probably figure out which solutions would be best yourself.

aps-c web use and small prints
35mm web use and printing up to 20" with the right glass-30"
medium more serious printing sizes available
super med sensor any of the above and more.

Mexecutioner

Besides all of the above.... the color science wanted from the files, AF intent of use and whether or not he is using the file for large prints would be the most important questions to ask your friend before really anyone could give him an intelligent answer. But with those answers you could probably figure out which solutions would be best yourself.

The friend already made up his mind and is keeping his 810.

Shashin

Not sure I would agree about print size. I have made excellent 30"-40" prints from APS-C and 60" prints from 35mm. The skill of the photographer/printer and the quality of the image have more to do with print size than the size of the sensor. I am not saying the sensor is irrelevant, just that print size would not be the defining limitation. Of course, a marginal MF file will be easier to print and print large than a marginal APS-C file, but neither are going to be great anyway. So while I would agree the quality of the sensor helps, if someone is looking to improve the quality of their images, particularly for printing, I might suggest figuring out if it is a limitation of the gear or skill set.

Certainly looking into the color and color management is a good point. That is often neglected. Naturally, we are a little blind to the issue wanting to be solved and the images that are under question. The Q-word is always difficult to answer as everyone perceives it differently, especially in terms of their own work.

Shashin

The friend already made up his mind and is keeping his 810.
Ah, but have we made up our minds? :ROTFL: You can post a question at GetDPI, but we get to decide if it has been answered. ;)

(And to be fair, these threads get archived and someone else might find them useful...)

cjb

The third-person point of view belongs to the person (or people) being talked about. The third-person pronouns include he, him, his, himself, she, her, hers, herself, it, its, itself, they, them, their, theirs, themselves, and “my friend.”