Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    891
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    OK, I am somewhat confused on what I have been reading. For instance: Only the Newer HC lenses with the Firmware 18.0 and above will allow the X1D to AF with the adaptor. Can someone please clarify this for me. I would like to use the HC 80/2.8 with an adaptor on my X1D and with AF. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Neutral Zone
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    That is correct - only HC lenses manufactured recently can be updated to the relevant firmware which allows AF on the X1D (all orange dot ones, I think, are safe). I surprised the local Hasselblad dealer in showing him that my ancient Leica S2 had no issues focussing my older HC 100, where as the X1D allows only for MF and, of course, aperture and shutter control. The reason here I think is that the Firmware requires lots of extra data for contrast AF, which does not fit into the Firmware memory of older lenses. HC lenses also do not auto focus on a Leica S, when used in Live View (thus, contrast AF).
    Hope that clarifies (may not help, though ...).
    For me it was one of numerous reasons to stay with the S system.
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    891
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    That is very helpful. Thank you. I would like to know how accurate the AF is with the Newer Lenses on the X1d Thanks again

  4. #4
    Senior Member bab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    Quote Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
    That is correct - only HC lenses manufactured recently can be updated to the relevant firmware which allows AF on the X1D (all orange dot ones, I think, are safe). I surprised the local Hasselblad dealer in showing him that my ancient Leica S2 had no issues focussing my older HC 100, where as the X1D allows only for MF and, of course, aperture and shutter control. The reason here I think is that the Firmware requires lots of extra data for contrast AF, which does not fit into the Firmware memory of older lenses. HC lenses also do not auto focus on a Leica S, when used in Live View (thus, contrast AF).
    Hope that clarifies (may not help, though ...).
    For me it was one of numerous reasons to stay with the S system.
    Why H has lots of catching up to do!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    Not X1D, but I u sweat and the Fuji GFX H Adapter also work with autofocus on HC lenses. With full aperture and shutter control. Anyone with direct experience can confirm?

    I guess if it does, it makes sense *** the HV lenses were actually made by Fuji.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    Yes, it needs firmware 18.0.0 or newer. I use my 100 2.2 all the time with it and the af is great.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Neutral Zone
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMerwin View Post
    Yes, it needs firmware 18.0.0 or newer. I use my 100 2.2 all the time with it and the af is great.
    Yes. It is just that older lenses cannot be updated to that firmware, because their memory size is insufficient.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    Quote Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
    Yes. It is just that older lenses cannot be updated to that firmware, because their memory size is insufficient.
    I wonder if you can get the electronics board and upgrade the memory with a larger chip...
    Not easy, you'd need to desolder the old chip (which is probably surface mount), but probably cheaper than a new HC Orange Dot lens.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Neutral Zone
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    Quote Originally Posted by buildbot View Post
    I wonder if you can get the electronics board and upgrade the memory with a larger chip...
    Not easy, you'd need to desolder the old chip (which is probably surface mount), but probably cheaper than a new HC Orange Dot lens.
    They don't offer this. I asked. As I am not retired, the time I would have to invest to understand all this would easily pay for a new Orange Dot lens, which, as a bonus, would give us 1/2000s, rather than the relatively poor 1/800. But hey ... where is my Leica S ...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    Sorry for the typos...I found out that the GFX H adapter does not allow autofocus on HC lenses, but full aperture and shutter control as well as EXIF data is recorded.

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Chong View Post
    Not X1D, but I u sweat and the Fuji GFX H Adapter also work with autofocus on HC lenses. With full aperture and shutter control. Anyone with direct experience can confirm?

    I guess if it does, it makes sense *** the HV lenses were actually made by Fuji.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Neutral Zone
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Chong View Post
    Sorry for the typos...I found out that the GFX H adapter does not allow autofocus on HC lenses, but full aperture and shutter control as well as EXIF data is recorded.
    Not knowing the adapter, it may however depend on the firmware version of the lenses.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •