The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

🔥🔥🔥Did anybody tested the GFX100 (portrait mode) with Actus XL or Mini?

🔥🔥🔥Did anybody tested the GFX100 (portrait mode) with Actus XL or Mini?

I own both Actus XL and Mini and unfortunately (or fortunately) I bought a GFX100

I really hate the adapter Cambo introduced for the GFX100, as I think is really dumb increasing the flange distance (thus rendering useless lenses with short focal!) — I wish they tried increasing the height of the two front and rear standard instead to provide clearance but that's another story...anyways

my question is: If I buy those Actus adapters/converters for the GFX50, can I use the GFX100 in portrait mode?
Im interested in portrait mode because 90% of my shots are vertical for products and in worse scenario I could tilt 90 degree my tripod head (not ideal but...)

Thanks
Francesco

Audii-Dudii

Re: 🔥🔥🔥Did anybody tested the GFX100 (portrait mode) with Actus XL or Mini?

I own both Actus XL and Mini and unfortunately (or fortunately) I bought a GFX100

I really hate the adapter Cambo introduced for the GFX100, as I think is really dumb increasing the flange distance (thus rendering useless lenses with short focal!) — I wish they tried increasing the height of the two front and rear standard instead to provide clearance but that's another story...anyways

my question is: If I buy those Actus adapters/converters for the GFX50, can I use the GFX100 in portrait mode?
Im interested in portrait mode because 90% of my shots are vertical for products and in worse scenario I could tilt 90 degree my tripod head (not ideal but...)
As it happens, I enjoy tinkering with cameras as much as I enjoy photographing with them. And while I have no desire to own / am unlikely to ever own a GFX 100, I do own an Actus B and recently had an idea about how to make it work properly on an Actus G in landscape mode as well as portrait mode.

Which is to mount it on the Actus G upside down!

The effect of this will be that the vertical grip running along the bottom of the GFX 100 body will now hang free in the air over the top of the rear standard instead of interfering with it at the bottom, similar to how it's positioned relative to the lens panel when when the camera is in portrait mode.

The Actus camera mount plate has five mounting holes and it should be fairly easy to rotate it by 90 degrees and drill five new mounting holes accordingly. (And if one isn't handy enough to do this themselves, then S.K. Grimes or any good machinist can do it for you for not a lot of money.)

The new mounting holes will fall into the spaces between the existing holes and the camera mount ring has more than enough metal that drilling five new holes should not make it weaker by any significant amount.

Also, the default camera orientation will become portrait mode instead of landscape mode, but I don't see this as being a big deal. In fact, for you, this might even be an advantage!

But it won't require any change in the minimum FFD of the lenses that can be used (unlike the $400 AC-795 replacement bayonet / spacer combo, which also adds extra weight in the form of a spacer to go underneath the front standard) and if one really needs to access the top panel controls before taking a shot, it's a simple matter to rotate the camera 90 degrees to portrait mode, which puts the top panel controls on the side, adjust them as necessary, then rotate the camera back to upside-down landscape mode and take the photo.

Yes, this is far from an ideal solution, especially as reaching the controls on top of the camera when it's in landscape mode might be difficult, if not impossible under some (all?) circumstances, and it's possible you might be stuck with your landscape-orientation photos appearing upside down on the LCD. But since you will rarely use landscape orientation, maybe this is an acceptable compromise? (Note: If you add an external monitor, then you should be able to flip the image right-side up again using its controls.)

Mind you, I've yet to see a GFX 100 in person, so it's possible I may have overlooked something here and my idea won't work after all, but I've studied how this will work on my Actus B and think I have it right.

Anyway, it's just an idea I had, so make of it what you will...

Boinger

As it happens, I enjoy tinkering with cameras as much as I enjoy photographing with them. And while I have no desire to own / am unlikely to ever own a GFX 100, I do own an Actus B and recently had an idea about how to make it work properly on an Actus G in landscape mode as well as portrait mode.

The effect of this will be that the vertical grip running along the bottom of the GFX 100 body will now hang free in the air over the top of the rear standard instead of interfering with it at the bottom, similar to how it's positioned relative to the lens panel when when the camera is in portrait mode.

The Actus camera mount plate has five mounting holes and it should be fairly easy to rotate it by 90 degrees and drill five new mounting holes accordingly. (And if one isn't handy enough to do this themselves, then S.K. Grimes or any good machinist can do it for you for not a lot of money.)

The new mounting holes will fall into the spaces between the existing holes and the camera mount ring has more than enough metal that drilling five new holes should not make it weaker by any significant amount.

Also, the default camera orientation will become portrait mode instead of landscape mode, but I don't see this as being a big deal. In fact, for you, this might even be an advantage!

But it won't require any change in the minimum FFD of the lenses that can be used (unlike the $400 AC-795 replacement bayonet / spacer combo, which also adds extra weight in the form of a spacer to go underneath the front standard) and if one really needs to access the top panel controls before taking a shot, it's a simple matter to rotate the camera 90 degrees to portrait mode, which puts the top panel controls on the side, adjust them as necessary, then rotate the camera back to upside-down landscape mode and take the photo.

Yes, this is far from an ideal solution, especially as reaching the controls on top of the camera when it's in landscape mode might be difficult, if not impossible under some (all?) circumstances, and it's possible you might be stuck with your landscape-orientation photos appearing upside down on the LCD. But since you will rarely use landscape orientation, maybe this is an acceptable compromise? (Note: If you add an external monitor, then you should be able to flip the image right-side up again using its controls.)

Mind you, I've yet to see a GFX 100 in person, so it's possible I may have overlooked something here and my idea won't work after all, but I've studied how this will work on my Actus B and think I have it right.

That is actually a really good idea. I don't see any clearance issues especially if you remove he viewfinder accessory.

Audii-Dudii

That is actually a really good idea. I don't see any clearance issues especially if you remove he viewfinder accessory.
And those who've used view cameras in the past will feel right at home with the upside-down image! :rolleyes:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

And those who've used view cameras in the past will feel right at home with the upside-down image! :rolleyes:
Alas, the image on the LCD of the GFX 100 is always right side up no matter the camera orientation.

ah!!! why i didn't think about it before... and why CAMBO didn't think about it before!!!!

Cambo could simply sell a bayonet with the 90 degree rotation that you describe and with a cost of 79$ we would be happy.
The more I think this is really a genius idea haha

Audii-Dudii

Cambo could simply sell a bayonet with the 90 degree rotation that you describe and with a cost of 79$ we would be happy.
The more I think this is really a genius idea haha
Feel free to forward the idea to them.

Personally, I think it's unlikely they would ever offer a kludge such as this for sale, but you never know... <shrug>

Gerd

Thanks
Francesco

Hello Francesco,

yes, and only in portrait format.

Here are a few pictures of the Actus XL (also applies to the Actus G). It is a bit fiddly to install the GFX 100.

Greetings Gerd