The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 100mm

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Guy,
Thanks for the link to the Katz Eye instructions. It doesn't look any harder than installing into the 20D which I did before.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Really just popping the spring latch and putting it back seems the hardest part.

I know Terry is bringing her D300 to Carmel and if she wants I will install it for her. I am hoping to get mine before we go. I will report when i do this Cindy to give you any hints here on installing it.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Kurt that ZF 100 looks really impressive. Have you ever shot the Nikon 105 VR to compare? I have the Nikon, but you are tempting me and Bondo is taunting me.;)

Relative to focusing between the D3 and D300. The screen on the D3 is significantly better than the D300 for manual focus. It is much more like ground glass where the contrast really pops when you nailed the focus. The D3 also seems to have a MUCH narrower range of movement on the lens where the focus confirmation light is lit up. It also uses the arrows on each side of the dot for focus, similar to Leica's meter, where the D300 only has the dot.

The D300 seems easy to focus with the factory screen up to 50mm in focal length. The 85/1.4 ZF was a very hit or miss proposition for me on the D200 until I got the Brightscreen which improved it, but did not get it to 100%. On the D300, you have more range of movement on the focus ring of the lens where the camera tells you that it is in focus. I found that going from close distance to far when turning the focus ring and stopping IMMEDIATELY when the focus light JUST turns solid is the normally the best focus on the D300.

I have never thought about what impact the cropped sensor has on this, but am just relating my experiences with both the D300 & D3.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Kurt,

I currently have that ZF 50/2.0 and love the lens. It is much more like a Cron than a Lux. The 50/1.4 reminds me of the 50 Pre-ASPH Lux. The 50/2.0 Macro reminds me of a 75 Cron ASPH in how it renders.

From what I see out of your photo samples with the 100 ZF, I agree that you would like the 50/2.0.

My problem is that I'm liking also liking the 100 ZF, and may have to try it out against my Nikon 105. The only thing is that my Nikon is pretty good and has the advantage of VR which is really nice.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Kurt,

Here are a few quick snaps from the ZF 50/2.0 in my back yard. Sorry, they are not as nice as yours.

woodyspedden

My ZF 100 and ZF 35 arrive Tuesday and I can't wait. If they are as good as some of the images I have seen I will undoubtedly get the 28 2.0 and the 50 2.0 Macro completing my prime kit for the D series.

The focus confirmation on the D3 seems somewhat different from the D300. As you approach focus with the D3 there are little arrow showing the direction to go to achieve focus and then the confirmation light snaps on. With the D300 you get no such arrows or other indicators then suddenly the light comes on and there is very little motion of the focus ring to snap right back out of focus. So I would say the D3 is a bit more predictable. However having said that I have been getting really good results from the D300. Just takes a bit more patience. It is important to me because I love the D300 with either the Voightlander 40 2.0 or the 58 1.4 as a very low weight walkabout kit. I haven't done any measurements but I bet the D300 with the 40 is within shouting distance of my m8 with either a 35 or 50 cron in terms of size and weight. In fact since virtually all of my M lenses are chrome silver the M8 may be heavier.

Woody

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hey Ray, your samples with the ZF50/2 look very nice. It probably means that I will end up spending more money. ;) Do you still have the ZF50/1.4 too? If so, any samples with that lens on the D3?

I haven't tried the Nikon 105, but I've heard good things about it. I'm certain that VR and AF would be deal breakers for a lot of people. But, I seem to prefer a more deliberate style when I'm using lenses with a little zip to them.

My ZF100 is new and a little bit stiff to focus, but not so much that it's a hinderance in any way ... I'll just have to break it in. The lens has more micro-contrast than any of the other Nikon lenses I've used.

Here are a few more from today with the ZF100.

Kurt

harmsr

Workshop Member
Kurt,

I'm afraid this thread is going to cause me to spend some money also. I really like what the ZF 100 is doing in these samples.

Unfortunately no, on the ZF 1.4. I already sold.

To describe it - think 50 Pre-ASPH Lux as a base. 1.4 is very soft and dreamy. 2.0 is about halfway to sharp. 2.8 shapes up very nicely. 4.0 and smaller is very close to the 50/2.0 Macro. The issue is that the 50 1.4 lens is really made for about 6ft. and longer distances. It is not very good up close. On the plus side, think of the OOF rendering of the Pre-ASPH Lux.

After finally testing the 50/2.0 Macro in non macro situations, it really impressed me. That lens is good starting at 2.0 and at any distance.

Again, unfortunately I don't have anything with the 1.4 on the D3. After doing some testing of both lenses, I just began to use the 50/2.0 exclusively. Those testing files never got saved as they were just things and people around the neighborhood.

Best,

Ray

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Kurt,

These look sensational. This might be the nicest ZF samples I've seen so far. Thanks for posting.

Zeiss has been knocking on my door to carry the line for a while. I think I might just have to go for it and become a dealer. See what you've gone and done?! :D

David

woodyspedden

Kurt,

These look sensational. This might be the nicest ZF samples I've seen so far. Thanks for posting.

Zeiss has been knocking on my door to carry the line for a while. I think I might just have to go for it and become a dealer. See what you've gone and done?! :D

David
Come on David

Be a dealer for these wonderful lenses for the Nikons. Sadly the Nikon folks have yet to do primes for the D300 and the D3 bodies. These lenses are just over the top/

Thanks Nikon and Zeiss for the wondrful images

Woody

woodyspedden

Kurt

Wonderful images from a wonderful lens and great photographer.

My only question is what happened to the 15" of snow you were shoveling just a week ago! LOL

Woody

deepdiver

2 more macro shots from Nikon D3 + ZF 100/2 :)

All shots was captured by hand held (the butterfly keep moving!!!) T__T

Andree

Guy Mancuso

This stuff is killing me now. I need to make some hard decisions. The D3 looks really nice but I need you guys to tell me the truth on the D300 Vs D3 . All i get are food fights on other forums and can't get real answer. It's all about image quality I care about nothing else.

deepdiver

hi Guy
ZF 100/2 focusing is as stiff as ZF 85/1.4
other ZF lenses that I own (ZF 25, ZF 28, ZF 35 and ZF 50 macro) is not as stiff as those 2 ZF lenses.
ZF 50/2 macro has the lightest focusing ring (in my personal experience)

Andree

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Andree. i think for me the 85 1.4 is the ticket if I can get the focusing under control with the Katz . I just like that focal length on any body also reminds me very much of my 75 and 80 lux. I just got thenew Nikon 60 macro and that suits me better in the Macro dept.