The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sunday morning with Nikon D3 + ZF 100/2

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually there is on the d300 at least only a couple things i needed to check to make sure but really as complicated as they are , It can be really simply to use also.

jonoslack

Actually there is on the d300 at least only a couple things i needed to check to make sure but really as complicated as they are , It can be really simply to use also.
Well, as an (on and off) long term Nikon user I think there are two particular issues:

1. The Autofocus; reading the manual thoroughly doesn't help, it's impossible to understand all the different modes.

2. Everything else, which is obvious enough not to need the manual anyway!

fotografz

Well, as an (on and off) long term Nikon user I think there are two particular issues:

1. The Autofocus; reading the manual thoroughly doesn't help, it's impossible to understand all the different modes.

2. Everything else, which is obvious enough not to need the manual anyway!
Not sure I agree with #2 ... since you'd have to read the manual to discover how to program the non CPU lenses.

jonoslack

Not sure I agree with #2 ... since you'd have to read the manual to discover how to program the non CPU lenses.
HI Marc
I was being flippant - sorry. Of course, the manual is really useful, but I feel that it's more a reference book than a 'can't put it down' kind of a read.

It's important to know how to do the things you want to do, (like program non CPU lenses), but I think it's probably a mistake to try and get your head around the whole camera, when there are aspects which you don't need much.

The autofocus is a case in point - I'm sure that it's necessary to get to grips with it if you're a sports shooter, but for me, knowing how CAF works in general terms is good enough.

I think that these sort of forums can be much more useful than reading a manual - case in point the clarification in my mind by Rob of the need NOT to use AWB for nature photographs, and passing around the idea of using servo focusing for macros, and your realisation (from deepdivers' exif) that you CAN program non CPU lenses. I'm not sure that any of these things would really have come to light by sitting down and reading the manual (except perhaps the last).

Anyway, apologies again for being trivial
:salute: