Site Sponsors

Thread: Which small Nikon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which small Nikon?

Hi Nikon Shooters,

I'm going to give Nikon land a whirl since Bob has kindly sold me his 18-200 VR. Now I just need to find a body to go along with the lens! Would like your advice on which of the small Nikon bodies to buy.

From all that I've read, it seems like the old D50 might be a better choice than the newer D40/D60 bunch as the latter cameras don't autofocus with the non-AF-S prime lenses. I'd like to just have a very minimal kit with the 18-200 and a couple of small primes for low light and macro.

What do you think, would I be better off with the D40X or D60 and living with manual focus or dropping back to the D50? Cameta Camera has some new and refurb D50's right now, so that's why I'm pondering.

Thanks for any advice,
    Joan
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Which small Nikon?

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    Hi Nikon Shooters,

I'm going to give Nikon land a whirl since Bob has kindly sold me his 18-200 VR. Now I just need to find a body to go along with the lens! Would like your advice on which of the small Nikon bodies to buy.

From all that I've read, it seems like the old D50 might be a better choice than the newer D40/D60 bunch as the latter cameras don't autofocus with the non-AF-S prime lenses. I'd like to just have a very minimal kit with the 18-200 and a couple of small primes for low light and macro.

What do you think, would I be better off with the D40X or D60 and living with manual focus or dropping back to the D50? Cameta Camera has some new and refurb D50's right now, so that's why I'm pondering.

Thanks for any advice,
    Joan
    Hi Joan,

I have the D60 (had the D40x, but was able to do a pretty much straight trade to the D60 so figured why not). You've noted the major difference between it and the D50 being the ability to focus not AFS lenses which means you'll be manual focusing most of the non primes with one very big exception.

The exception being the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which is a bit on the large size but a spectacular lens with the D40x/D60. It's got Sigmas version of AFS so it auto focuses just fine. It's very sharp wide open in the center and becomes even sharper when stopped down just a bit. I also like the bokeh it produces. When I'm not in a manual focus mood, this is the lens that is on the camera much of the time.

For walking around you've already got the 18-200 which is a very nice lens. Also when you want something on the lighter side the kit 18-55 VR lens that comes with the D60 kit is pretty decent and gives you image stabilization that certainly can help when shooting static subjects. You may find you keep that on there much of the time if you want an incredibly light and small setup.

For macro, if you want auto focus the new 60mm AFS prime is a nice lens. In many cases you'll be using manual focus anyways so it's a bit less important to have AF on a macro lens.

On the manual focus side the D60 makes it easiest of the D40/D40x/D50 since it has a digital rangefinder mode that even one ups the one on the D3 since it tells you not only which way to focus (far to near, or near to far) but how close you are to hitting focus. It also seems to have less slop once it indicates you've hit focus so it tends to be easier to nail the shot.

As far as high quality cheap zooms I highly recommend the new Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. They've just released an update that includes a built in motor so it will auto focus on the D40/D60.

I think in practice there are enough options now to make the D60 a very attractive camera (you can pick up the D60 with kit lens for $649 at amazon which is a pretty nice price). Also keep in mind Nikon will almost certainly be updating their primes to be AFS down the road.

You'll also find the D40/D60 are quite a bit smaller than the D50 if that's a factor. Either way I don't think you can go wrong as all of them are fine cameras.

Oh, one last thing, the D50/D40 are substantially more sensitive to IR than the D40x/D60 which can work for or against you. You'll definitely see cases where you'll get reddish synthetic fabrics that are black to our eyes similar but on a much smaller case to what happens with the Leica M8 without IR filters on the lenses. Skin tones are also much harder to nail due to this as well. This factor was enough of an annoyance to me that I got rid of the original D40 I had and upgraded to a D40x which has a completely different sensor (and happens to be 10mpix vs 6mpix as well).

Hope this helps.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Greg, THANK YOU! This is SO helpful! Truly appreciate the time you spent to write this all out for me. Gives me a bit more to think about. I somehow missed or forgot reading about the IR issues with the D40/50 so that is something I wasn't factoring in at all.

It does sound like the D60 is worth the extra dollars, even if just to have the rangefinder mode. I was thinking about the Voigtlander Ultron and/or Nokton lenses as possibilities if I went for manual focus lenses. I would really like something wide, too, and that seems to be the hardest one to come up with in an affordable lens.

Greatly appreciate your help, thanks again!
    Regards,
    Joan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Joan
    Well, I'm going to be bloody minded here.
    I was actually looking at small slr's today, if you really want Nikon then it's worth going slightly larger to the D80 and getting the much MUCH better viewfinder. (I think it also supports D lenses (which the D60 doesn't) but I don't think it works with the zeiss lenses.

Basically, if you want a small digital slr with a couple of primes, you'd be better to cut your losses now and go for one of the pentax bodies (they have some nice primes).

In my humble opinion, Nikon's mid range zooms are neither fast enough, good enough or small enough . . . .

If you want small - then you could also look at an Olympus E420 with the two tiny (and I mean tiny) zooms 14-42 (28-80) and 40-150 (80-300) - you just won't believe how small that 40-150 is! What's more, although a little slow, they are excellent - if you want a image stabilisation, then the E510 is a nice camera with excellent built in IS, there is a replacement coming soon, so you can get some fantastic deals at the moment.

There is also the 25 (50)mm pancake lens, (9mm deep), a 35mm macro (70mm) which is a little slow, but really really sharp and tiny - both these lenses are sterling quality and very cheap.

I have owned the 18-200, and it's a good enough lens, but mine had a lot of barrel distortion at the wide end, and wasn't very sharp at the long end, added to which it wasn't very small!

I'm not trying to put you off or anything . . . . er, well, actually, I AM trying to put you off!

If you need low light - fine, Nikon or Canon may be better, but 4/3 has (IMHO) come of age, there are more lenses coming all the time (there's a Leica 25mm f1.4 available for it).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,
    Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate them!

Oh, yes ... I am aware of the Oly possibilities. I do already own the 14-42, the 40-150 and the 35mm macro. So, the E420 or 520 are certainly not off my radar, just on hold for a bit. Just wanted to try Nikon out to see if I like it better or not. The D80 is also a possibility, although a little bigger than I'd prefer. I do like the viewfinder!!

Truly, if I could afford them, I'd buy the PanaLeica 14-150 and the 25 f1.4. and put 'em on either a E420 or the L10. BUT, I can't afford them any time soon, so looking at Nikon because have read so many good things about the 18-200VR, won't know if it's for me until I go out and use it. I'd like to see the files I get as opposed to the E410's that I've already amassed. I have a sneaking suspicion that just *maybe* that here in contrasty Florida sunshine, the Nikon might be better. I could be dead wrong.
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

Oh, yes ... I am aware of the Oly possibilities. I do already own the 14-42, the 40-150 and the 35mm macro. So, the E420 or 520 are certainly not off my radar, just on hold for a bit. Just wanted to try Nikon out to see if I like it better or not. The D80 is also a possibility, although a little bigger than I'd prefer. I do like the viewfinder!!

Truly, if I could afford them, I'd buy the PanaLeica 14-150 and the 25 f1.4. and put 'em on either a E420 or the L10. BUT, I can't afford them any time soon, so looking at Nikon because have read so many good things about the 18-200VR, won't know if it's for me until I go out and use it. I'd like to see the files I get as opposed to the E410's that I've already amassed. I have a sneaking suspicion that just *maybe* that here in contrasty Florida sunshine, the Nikon might be better. I could be dead wrong.
    Joan

The nikon 18-200 is a very usable lens. The problems most complain about (and which I have confirmed on my own copy) is distortion at the wide end and noticeable CA at wide apertures. Having said that as a travel companion to the D300 it is hard to beat.

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

Hmm, Well, having owned the 18-200, and many of the 4/3 lenses, I'd say that it simply isn't a patch on most of them, and it's much bigger without focusing as close or being any sharper!

Don't get me wrong, I'm neither anti-nikon generally, nor am I anti that lens specifically. I think the thing that I've really come to understand is that Olympus in particular have done a fabulous job with the 4/3 lenses - Maybe your experience will be different from mine, if I had what you have, then I'd get a 520 (or a cheap 510) for the IS, and the Olympus pancake lens (forget the expensive leica lenses, they're expensive, AND they only just qualify as Leica!).

You'll note that the Dpreview lens reviews give the humble 14-42 a better rating, and specifically better image quality than the 18-200 nikkor (and it's 1/4 price as well as being 1/4 the size!)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Joan

The nikon 18-200 is a very usable lens. The problems most complain about (and which I have confirmed on my own copy) is distortion at the wide end and noticeable CA at wide apertures. Having said that as a travel companion to the D300 it is hard to beat.

Woody
    HI Woody
    Have you compared it with the small 4/3 lenses that Joan already has? I found it rather a revelation!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Greg, THANK YOU! This is SO helpful! Truly appreciate the time you spent to write this all out for me. Gives me a bit more to think about. I somehow missed or forgot reading about the IR issues with the D40/50 so that is something I wasn't factoring in at all.

It does sound like the D60 is worth the extra dollars, even if just to have the rangefinder mode. I was thinking about the Voigtlander Ultron and/or Nokton lenses as possibilities if I went for manual focus lenses. I would really like something wide, too, and that seems to be the hardest one to come up with in an affordable lens.

Greatly appreciate your help, thanks again!
    Hi Joan,

Glad to help. Just to whet your appetite, here's a shot with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 shot on the D60 handheld at 1/60, f/1.4, ISO 560. This lens has the magic. First the full scene followed by a 100% crop:
    Last edited by Greg Seitz; 14th October 2010 at 07:22.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Seitz View Post
    Hi Joan,

Glad to help. Just to whet your appetite, here's a shot with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 shot on the D60 handheld at 1/60, f/1.4, ISO 560. This lens has the magic. First the full scene followed by a 100% crop:
    Hi Greg
    Nice photos - I agree it's a lovely lens (it's lovely on 4/3 as well - 60mm of course).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Greg
    Nice photos - I agree it's a lovely lens (it's lovely on 4/3 as well - 60mm of course).
    Thanks Jono. I think they also announced a full frame 50 1.4. If it's anything like the 30, I'll probably pick one up and get rid of my nikon 50 1.4 which is not really all that usable until f/2. Or maybe I'll pick up the Voigtlander 58 that you're enticing everyone with.

Greg

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am joining Jono in the CV 58mm camp. Will post some shots as soon as I get it.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm, Well, having owned the 18-200, and many of the 4/3 lenses, I'd say that it simply isn't a patch on most of them, and it's much bigger without focusing as close or being any sharper!

Don't get me wrong, I'm neither anti-nikon generally, nor am I anti that lens specifically. I think the thing that I've really come to understand is that Olympus in particular have done a fabulous job with the 4/3 lenses - Maybe your experience will be different from mine, if I had what you have, then I'd get a 520 (or a cheap 510) for the IS, and the Olympus pancake lens (forget the expensive leica lenses, they're expensive, AND they only just qualify as Leica!).

You'll note that the Dpreview lens reviews give the humble 14-42 a better rating, and specifically better image quality than the 18-200 nikkor (and it's 1/4 price as well as being 1/4 the size!)
    Jono,

I do agree that the little Oly kit lenses are very good for their size and price. You may be right that I should stick with what I have, guess I'll find that out once I put the 18-200 to the test. I'm aware of the compromises of any single lens covering this wide a range. If I have fun using it and don't have to swap lenses as much, it'll be a treat for travel and general use.
    Regards,
    Joan

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Joan,

You may want to consider the D80. It will accept non AF-S lenses, has much better IQ than the D50, more manual control and custom settings than the D60 and is still small and light. The D80 also has a pentaprism viewfinder, which is much larger and brighter than anything less than the the D300.

Only negatives are no self-cleaning sensor and no live-view.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Joan

Woody
    Hi Woody,
    Yes, I've seen the distortion at the wide end. Kinda scary, LOL. But, mostly correctable, wouldn't you say? I'll cope, I think. It needs just to be a fun lens to roam around with, that's what I'm looking for.
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Seitz View Post
    Hi Joan,

This looks very nice, Greg, thanks for showing. I will definitely keep the Sigma on my list.
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I am joining Jono in the CV 58mm camp. Will post some shots as soon as I get it.
    Look forward to that, Carlos. Jono is trying to talk me out of Nikon on this thread, but his examples with the CV 58 have him contradicting himself.
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Joan,

You may want to consider the D80. It will accept non AF-S lenses, has much better IQ than the D50, more manual control and custom settings than the D60 and is still small and light. The D80 also has a pentaprism viewfinder, which is much larger and brighter than anything less than the the D300.

Only negatives are no self-cleaning sensor and no live-view.

David
    Thanks, David, I am keeping the D80 in mind, too. If I find a really good price on one, I might go for it despite the somewhat larger size. Or I might go totally budget minded with a D40 for now and wait for the supposed D90 later on. Decisions, decisions...
    Regards,
    Joan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look forward to that, Carlos. Jono is trying to talk me out of Nikon on this thread, but his examples with the CV 58 have him contradicting himself.

Absolutely not if you were suggesting getting a D3 and a CV 58 . . . . or even a D300 and a couple of ZF primes . . . just not trying to replace those nice small 4/3 zooms wi . . . . . I've said it!

Let's face it, everything takes great pictures nowadays, and you'll take better pictures if you're happy with what you have (I know that's true with me).

David's right though, if you MUST then get a D80.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono. Find me a D80 body for about $500 and I'll take your advice for sure! I keep watching them on eBay, but the foolish people bid them up too high!
    Regards,
    Joan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono. Find me a D80 body for about $500 and I'll take your advice for sure! I keep watching them on eBay, but the foolish people bid them up too high!
    Ah well - just wait until the D90 is announced next month . . . then they'll be as cheap as chips (but not as cheap as the E520 you should be getting )

Just this guy you know

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jono and he has very valid points. For a compact system with good IQ zoom lens, Olympus 3/4 system is hard to beat. An E420 or E520 with zoom 12-60 lens is a comb that Nikon system couldn't really match. I recently pick-up an Panasonic L-1 with Leica D 14-50/2,8-3.5 kit lens. I am very impressed with IQ compared to my Nikon system (D200 with 17-35 AFS, 70-200 VR).

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see anyone mention a D70 or D70S till the D90 comes out? Are they not getting pretty cheap these days?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more vote for the D80. It's a real camera with a real viewfinder, and not that much bigger than the D40/60. Very cheap now too.

Since the Voigtländer 58/1.4 has been mentioned, I'm buying one soon as well, to use both on my S3 and on my E-1 with an adapter. It will be very interesting to see how it performs on 4/3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks again, everyone! I am grateful for all of your input and advice. Won't be getting the 18-200 until late next week, so have some time think about all this.
    Will post some of my boring first shots with whichever camera once I have it!
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

Since the Voigtländer 58/1.4 has been mentioned, I'm buying one soon as well, to use both on my S3 and on my E-1 with an adapter. It will be very interesting to see how it performs on 4/3.
    Hi Jorgen
    What adapter do you need for the Voiglander & 4/3rds ?
    Thanx in advance for your help
    best, H

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Hi Jorgen
    What adapter do you need for the Voiglander & 4/3rds ?
    Thanx in advance for your help
    best, H
    Any F-mount to 4/3 adapter will do. I believe Cameraquest has one.There are also cheaper ones available on the auction site.

There's no glass involved, so image quality is usually maintained, at least for primes. 4/3 cameras will meter with Nikkors, but only stop-down metering. On cameras with IS, IS will work.

There are many interesting combinations to be had, and some very cheap Nikkors available, often cheaper than OM Zuikos.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another lens which is interesting, and I have seen some raves, there are always pans as well for all gear, is the new 16-85mm VR lens. It is equal to 24mm at the wide end and thus I would find it to be a big advantage over the 18-200 for that alone. YMMV. I would also be backing it up with a second lens for the long end anyway, the 70-300VR....jmho...
    It is also lighter and I believe smaller by a bit, then the 18-200VR....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DonWeston View Post
    Another lens which is interesting, and I have seen some raves, there are always pans as well for all gear, is the new 16-85mm VR lens. It is equal to 24mm at the wide end and thus I would find it to be a big advantage over the 18-200 for that alone. YMMV. I would also be backing it up with a second lens for the long end anyway, the 70-300VR....jmho...
    I think it looks like a nice lens too - it's almost 100gm lighter than the 18-200, but it's slow (3.5-5.6) and it doesn't have VR.

I agree about the 70-300VR - I have one for the D3, it's only shortoming is that it doesn't focus very close, but it's a splendid lens.
    . . . but this rather bears out my problem - as soon as you start looking at lenses for Nikon DX sensor cameras, every one you look at has some sort of gotcha.

Olympus? the 14-42 and the 40-150 are tiny, cheap, very sharp, almost macro in their close focusing, and if you get a camera with IS then the fact that they are a little slow doesn't matter.

If you want something a bit better, then the 12-60 f2.8-f3.5 is a stunning lens , fast, sharp, useable at all focal lengths, and all apertures, reasonably sized and priced.

Nikon certainly have the professional zooms nowadays, and decent(ish) kit lenses, but I really think the middle ground is badly served.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it looks like a nice lens too - it's almost 100gm lighter than the 18-200, but it's slow (3.5-5.6) and it doesn't have VR.

I agree about the 70-300VR - I have one for the D3, it's only shortoming is that it doesn't focus very close, but it's a splendid lens.
    . . . but this rather bears out my problem - as soon as you start looking at lenses for Nikon DX sensor cameras, every one you look at has some sort of gotcha.

Olympus? the 14-42 and the 40-150 are tiny, cheap, very sharp, almost macro in their close focusing, and if you get a camera with IS then the fact that they are a little slow doesn't matter.

If you want something a bit better, then the 12-60 f2.8-f3.5 is a stunning lens , fast, sharp, useable at all focal lengths, and all apertures, reasonably sized and priced.

Nikon certainly have the professional zooms nowadays, and decent(ish) kit lenses, but I really think the middle ground is badly served.
    Jono - I hate to disagree but everything I have read on the 16-85mm afs lens is that it DOES have VR built in, look at any of the sites like B&H or Adorama..fwiw...
    There are no perfect lenses, even Olympus must have some flaws...hehe, for someone....ehh?? The 70-300mmVR focuses well and accurately, at least my sample does, but not an issue as I have the 105mmVR when I need macro or my old 55Micro AIS...or just throw on a closeup filter or using a 10-12MP camera just crop the image slightly, always lots of options...

Personally, I might just forget the midrange and go with just my 50mm 1.4afd and go wider, like with a 10-22 or 12-24mm lens, but that is just me...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - I hate to disagree but everything I have read on the 16-85mm afs lens is that it DOES have VR built in, look at any of the sites like B&H or Adorama..fwiw...
    I beg your pardon Don - you are (of course) quite right - I was surprised too, I looked here:
    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1025671
    and it doesn't mention it in the description . . . mind you, it says it in big writing on the lens, so it isn't much of an excuse!

There are no perfect lenses, even Olympus must have some flaws...hehe, for someone....ehh?? The 70-300mmVR focuses well and accurately, at least my sample does, but not an issue as I have the 105mmVR when I need macro or my old 55Micro AIS...or just throw on a closeup filter or using a 10-12MP camera just crop the image slightly, always lots of options...
    Of course - they aren't 'magical', you shouldn't think I'm partisan either, I've just been out shooting with a bag of 3 Nikon and one Voigtlander lenses. I was trying to answer Joan's original position, NOT to slag off Nikon.

I have the 70-300 VR and the 105mm VR - both great lenses IMHO (and not huge), but neither is exactly pocket sized.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - no pardon necessary, just wanted to provide accurate info. You usually are flawless with this kind of information.

We have lots of great gear to choose from today. It used to be just the big C or N or L maybe for 35mm, today, the field is for ever growing, Sony, Olympus, Sigma, etc, etc.. It must be next to impossible for someone not into photography at times to make a decision....then again it is almost impossible for us.....to much gear, too little time and wallet....haha....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - no pardon necessary, just wanted to provide accurate info. You usually are flawless with this kind of information.
    Kind of you to say so, but wrong I'm afraid - I'm always making mistakes, I'd think it was old age, but I always did make them!

We have lots of great gear to choose from today. It used to be just the big C or N or L maybe for 35mm, today, the field is for ever growing, Sony, Olympus, Sigma, etc, etc.. It must be next to impossible for someone not into photography at times to make a decision....then again it is almost impossible for us.....to much gear, too little time and wallet....haha....

Well, does it REALLY matter - they all work reasonably well, and if you aren't into photography you're unlikely to be able to tell the difference between them. I think it's all much better now, and although the internet can be infuriating, it really does make for better kit. Nikon fixed the bug in the d3 firmware update within 10 days . . . . AND we all knew about it! can you imagine that happening 15 years ago (and don't tell me there were no bugs then!).

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kind of you to say so, but wrong I'm afraid - I'm always making mistakes, I'd think it was old age, but I always did make them!

Well, does it REALLY matter - they all work reasonably well, and if you aren't into photography you're unlikely to be able to tell the difference between them. I think it's all much better now, and although the internet can be infuriating, it really does make for better kit. Nikon fixed the bug in the d3 firmware update within 10 days . . . . AND we all knew about it! can you imagine that happening 15 years ago (and don't tell me there were no bugs then!).
    Well, we should all thank Al Gore for creating the nternet, cause without him companies like Nikon would be back in the dark ages for sure, no massive complaint lists, no public forum for group issues....
    and nothing would get fixed.....like in the old days. All gear had quirks, Nikons did their thing, Canon theirs and so on...

You are right, I am sure that you have found not one camera you advised some newbie to get and who was not into photography to ever complain about what they bought that we had recommended. They most likely would have been fine with any choice, as they lack both the experience and the interest to find a fault. They just use it as any other device they have.

Only pros or serious OCD hobbyists care about such stuff.... I need to go and obsess over my next camera and selling some stuff on ebay.....ta ta..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My advice to anyone getting the 16-85 is to back it up with a faster prime. The 16-85 is the lens more likely to be used indoors with it's focal length but it is just too slow for low ISO non flash work. At 50mm you are already at f5.6. Spend $100 more and add the 50mm f1.8 at the same time. Said from experience . I own the lens and tried to take pictures of little kids at a birthday party. I was in a very well lit gym and I needed to be at ISO 3200 the whole time. If you stay very wide indoors you are OK but outdoors and for travel, this lens is quite nice with a great focal length range. I ended up going out and buying the 24-70 and will probably sell the 16-85....it actually has VR II the newest version of VR .
    Last edited by Terry; 24th May 2008 at 05:02.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw, if the distortion and CA characteristics of the 18-200 VR are a concern, I can highly recommend DxO Optics Pro which does a wonderful job of correcting the distortions of this lens. It'll tighten up the images too.

The 18-200 VR is a very convenient lens if you want a go anywhere combination in a single lens. I did a trip to Argentina for a week or so with just a D2x and 18-200 VR with great results. As mentioned, the post-processing in DxO really dials out the worst of any distortions and compromises from such a wide zoom. (Nikon Capture also does a good job with this lens too).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally got me a NI-KON camera, whooppee!

I decided to go against your advice, Jono (sorry) and bought the little D60. Feels nice in my hands and saved me a bit of $ over the D80. So far, I think it's a very nice, if simple, little guy. The 18-200 is quite comfortable on it for me, and I can't wait to take it somewhere fun.

Meanwhile, here are my obligatory first few boring shots:

Garbage day in the neighborhood

Crepe Myrtle

Heart of palm

I hope I can get some better ones to share in the "Fun with Nikon" thread soon.
    Last edited by Joan; 9th June 2008 at 17:12.
    Regards,
    Joan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations on the new camera! Well, we can arrange more shooting opportunities at the next NY meet up in July!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CONGRATS JOAN
    Looks like you & the D60 are in LUV

Cheers ! H

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Terry and Helen. I would love to come in July ... strongly doubt it though. Have to get my boy ready for college, so that's where ALL my money will be going.

Helen, what's this I just read about someone with a new Epson camera?? Congrats to YOU too, my dear. (What happened to the E420? Bye bye?)
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations, Joan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Joan, it's a fun little camera. I think you made a great choice!

Greg

dlew308

congrats Joan. Welcome to the land of happiness

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Joan on your D60, I just bought one myself as a replacement for a G9. Cheap and small enough as a both a backup and simple camera to hand someone on green square mode for a P&S. BTW, also a very capable Dslr that competes with anything else out there....jmho...:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone, and glad to see I'm not alone in adopting the "baby" Nikon.

Let's see some of your shots, Don. It's been pouring down rain here, so I didn't even get to prowl the neighborhood this afternoon. Now it's stopped and I'm too tired to go.
    Regards,
    Joan

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HEY Joan - haven't shot too much around here either, though I got out a bit last weekend with the baby and a couple of macros, here is one of the flower shots that seemed to work out ok. This weekend is my daughters' senior prom and since I like Nikn flash better then Canon, at least at the moment, I will be shooting again with the baby..hehe....
    would also love to see some of your "baby" shots...
    Last edited by DonWeston; 11th June 2008 at 07:48.