The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Autofocus on a D3

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Mark
Thank you for posting your experience. I agree 100% that locking focus and recomposing doesn t cut it for many situations. I have the same issues you point out..I am trying to recompose and keep the focus correct with a moving subject. Big difference when you are speaking about shooting at 1.2/1.4 ..good ideas to work with. Roger

fotografz

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Using the AF-ON button to focus instead of the shutter release on my D300 has dramatically increased the proportion of my correctly-focused shots. I frequently shoot stationary subjects and have no problem moving the focus point around but it did take a while to get used to focusing with the AF-ON button. Now I can't imagine doing it any other way.

This technique doesn't help with focusing my ZF 28/2 but I'm already aware of the solution to that problem: a D700.
When I moved from a D300 to a D700 it was a night and day difference with the ZF lenses. I suggest the Nikon viewfinder magnifier also.

fotografz

I subscribe to the placement of the focus point in anticipation of the subject location ... usually for compositional reasons ... i.e., see the man running, see the banana peel, see the man, back to the banana peel ... place the focus point on the banana peel and be ready.

But this requires a trained thumb on the focus point command wheel and quick compositional reflexes. I used to use this technique when shooting a Leica M which only has center focusing. It wasn't focus and recompose which was a bit to slow, but instead focus accurately where the subject will be, recompose and shoot when the subject gets there. That didn't correct the focus shift issue .... which is where the ability to place a focus point where you want in a DSLR viewfinder has it's advantages.