The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Confusion: Nikon 85 PC and 85 PC-e

Tektrader

IS there actually 2 different lenses? or do some people leave the -e off their review?

If there are 2 different ones whats the difference?

doc4x5

My recall is that they are different lenses and according to Nikon Lens Specifications -[you have to scroll down to the section on PC lenses] they are. The PC (non-E) goes to f/45, the PC-E, which I have and think is one of Nikon's best lenses, goes to f/32 and the electronic contacts are different. I suspect but do not know for certain that they are optically identical. I do set my aperture from the camera, hence the "E."

Tektrader

Thanks Guys. I suspect you are right. The PC version may to be an AIS lens (but why does it still have contacts like an AF lens)where is the PC-e lens different? they will both do focus confirmation it seems.

Not sure if the PC-E is worth $1000 extra. Seems the PC can be had for around $800 but the PC-e is nearly $2000. Why does this seem wierd when they seems to be the same.

How much difference does the Nano coating make if you use a lens hood ?

I just read the links. With the PC-e you can set the aperture with the command dials on the camera. Tell me how it can stop down to the aperture the camera wants via aperture lever when its shifted? And what makes this different than the PC lens?

You would still have to manually select the aperture via the ring from what i can see.

Last edited:

Swissblad

Nano coating does lead to somewhat better contrast, especially when shooting against the sun. I've not noticed it to be NB for macro work.

doc4x5

I set the aperture using the camera command dials, not the aperture ring. I can't comment on the nano since I rarely use it in flare conditions. The color is certainly excellent. I also cannot comment how it does it but it does stop down to the set aperture whether tilted, shifted or both. There is an L for locked on the aperture dial. When set there, the command dials control the aperture.

doc4x5

Trek trader, I'll be happy to but am leaving town for a few days & will do it upon my return. If it's urgent, perhaps another forum member could oblige.
Eric