Site Sponsors

Thread: Microphone use with D600/D800

Post Thanks / Like

Microphone use with D600/D800

I have been experimenting with video capture using both my D600 and D800 cameras.

I have found that there are some really quite alarming focusing noises when using the internal mic. The noises come with both silent wave and mechanical AF coupling lenses (worse with the latter) when focusing during capture, zooming also seems to be picked up. I racked the mic sensitivity to 19/20 as this seemed appropriate in the circumstances.

My question: will an external mic help? Or is there any other solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microphone use with D600/D800

I'm not an expert, but a directional/shotgun mic should help, as well as one with some mechanical isolation from the body.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Even a plane-jane Rode VideoMic should work fine on-camera: Rode VideoMic - Camera Mounted Shotgun Microphone VIDEOMIC B&H

I agree that the internal mic is incompatible with AF of any kind. For cine work (i.e. staged, acted, or static work like scapes) some sort of tabbed follow focus system is essential; during practice you determine focal distances and set tabs, then you can rack between them during the live takes.

But this is just what I've garnered from talking to people who do this for a living. I've only captured home video snaps of mainly documentary value - but for even these, the internal mic and AF are unusable together. (I do have a Rode VideoMic but never used it with the D800. Instead I focus manually with the internal mic...)

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, the reason I focus manually is the video CDAF is so slow, poor and hunts so easily it's utterly worthless. All IMO of course.