The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Df vs the D750

robdeszan

That's the site. I've installed three separate focusing screens so far in three different Nikon bodies. I opted for the super precision matte canon S screen (i.e. optimized for fast lenses below f2.8) each time as I don't like to be restricted to focusing in the centre only.

None of the original nikon metal shims worked with the new focusing screen but they do supply plastic ones of variable thickness which allow you to fine tune the distance perfectly. I had to order a slightly slimmer shim once as well and they sent a few at no charge. I had to insert two shims each time. Yes, it is a bit fiddly (they do provide all the tools) and you have to be careful no to scratch the focusing screen during installation but the results are far better than the standard screen for manual focusing. I have not tried other types but the s type is fantastic as you are able to see actual depth of field at wide open.

I think it is worth it and it does not seem to affect AF operation or metering either.

focusing screen.com ........suggest you google replacement screens for Nikon Df ....plenty of information including how to videos . Not easy and calibration requires luck or skill .
in

jduncan

Having used both extensively ....each has exceptional capabilities ...even considering the higher MP or better high ISO offerings of the EVF designs.

Df ..wins on form and style ..just a joy to use ..probably one of the very best designs. Its small, light yet built like a tank . While the sensor is only 16MPs ...it is very forgiving (when you don t need a 30x40 print) . AF is the 39point system which is noticeably weaker than the new 51pt (in D5,D850 etc). Color is strong and images are sharp ....I prefer to use the Df for B&W finding the 16/20MP professional sensors to be tricky for color balancing . It can be done I just don t have it to my standards .

D750 ...wins on all around performance ... a terrific camera if you shoot people . Color is true and skin tones better than the Df . Same 39pt system . Reasonable size and weight . My wife has used a d750 for 3-4 years now and its been flawless . She beats the heck out of that camera and it has never failed. Uses a 50/1.4AF Nikkor wide open and the AF just nails it .

The biggest weakness in both bodies is they are hard to use with manual lenses. In fact this is the biggest weakness for me in any DSLR ..the screens just are not good enough to focus a fast prime manually. The Af system does provide a manual focus aid but its not like focus peaking . This kills the fast primes from Zeiss ..which are beautiful wide open .

But if you haven t used a DSLR for few years ..pick one up ...and tell us that you can VIEW just as well with a EVF ?

Hi,
Great resume but you have some errors, all related to the autofocus system of the cameras:
  1. The Nikon D750 has the 51 point focus system, not 39. The DF does have a 39 point AF.
  2. The D750 AF system is unique, but it's similar to the D810 and D4.
  3. The Nikon D850, D500, and D5 have a 153 point AF system that is in a complete different dimension.

Besides that, it's a good guide.

Best regards,