Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

  1. #1
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    I'm currently thinking of selling my Nikon zooms and going with fast prime lenses (for D300) and I'm trying to gauge the relative differences of older MF AIS/AI lenses versus the newer Zeiss and/or CV MF lenses. I've done a bit of searching here but haven't seen posts comparing the older Nikon glass to the newer Zeiss and CV lenses.

    Obviously buying the AIS/AI lenses is significantly cheaper than the newer lenses, but at what cost? The posts I've seen showing example of the Z and CV lenses are compelling, but there's no comparisons to older glass. I'm sure there's some excellent older glass out there.

    The lenses I'm considering are:

    Nikon (MF only)
    20mm f2.8
    24mm f2
    28mm f2
    35mm f1.4
    50mm f1.2
    105mm f1.8

    Zeiss
    21mm f2.8
    35mm f2
    50mm f1.4
    100mm f2

    CV
    58mm f1.4

    I won't be buying all of the focal lengths shown in the Nikon section above, they're just there for consideration. The Zeiss section really shows what I'd like to get WRT focal lengths.

    Of the listed Nikon lenses, which are excellent performers and which should I avoid? Likewise, which of the Zeiss or CV should be candidates that are unmatched? The Zeiss 100mm seems to be a stellar lens, for example.

    Any feedback would be appreciated.

    Cheers,

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    130

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Simon - have you looked at Bjorn Rorslett's site for his opinions - I find them useful
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
    David

  3. #3
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Shac View Post
    Simon - have you looked at Bjorn Rorslett's site for his opinions - I find them useful
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
    David
    David,

    Thanks... he likes the 28mm f2 and the 35mm f1.4, which is useful info, but how they compare to the Zeiss is more of what I'm after.

    Cheers,

  4. #4
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    David

    Two sites ..both "pay sites" have extensive testing information on these lenses .Reid Reports http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/login.asp and Diglloydhttp://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/blog.html. They both favor the Zeiss ZF lenses both for their optical performance but also for there mechanical precision.

    The top Zeiss lens is the 100/2 (although the Nikkor 105/2.8 AF macro has shown similar performance) . Two you didn t mention that are highly rated are the 28/2 ZF and the 50/2 ZF. I think the 28/2 on a D700 body is a perfect wideangle street set up.

    You can also convert existing Leica R lenses with the Zeitax.com mounts . This opens up some great lenses like the 80/1.4 summilux or the 100/2.8 APO.

    The hot Nikon lens that is impossible to find without paying a dealer extra is the 58/1.2 Nocti Nikkor. The 28/1.4 AF is also a top lens thats hard to find.

    Roger

  5. #5
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    David

    Two sites ..both "pay sites" have extensive testing information on these lenses .Reid Reports http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/login.asp and Diglloydhttp://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/blog.html. They both favor the Zeiss ZF lenses both for their optical performance but also for there mechanical precision.

    The top Zeiss lens is the 100/2 (although the Nikkor 105/2.8 AF macro has shown similar performance) . Two you didn t mention that are highly rated are the 28/2 ZF and the 50/2 ZF. I think the 28/2 on a D700 body is a perfect wideangle street set up.

    You can also convert existing Leica R lenses with the Zeitax.com mounts . This opens up some great lenses like the 80/1.4 summilux or the 100/2.8 APO.

    The hot Nikon lens that is impossible to find without paying a dealer extra is the 58/1.2 Nocti Nikkor. The 28/1.4 AF is also a top lens thats hard to find.

    Roger

  6. #6
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    David

    Two sites ..both "pay sites" have extensive testing information on these lenses .Reid Reports http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/login.asp and Diglloydhttp://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/blog.html. They both favor the Zeiss ZF lenses both for their optical performance but also for there mechanical precision.

    The top Zeiss lens is the 100/2 (although the Nikkor 105/2.8 AF macro has shown similar performance) . Two you didn t mention that are highly rated are the 28/2 ZF and the 50/2 ZF. I think the 28/2 on a D700 body is a perfect wideangle street set up.

    You can also convert existing Leica R lenses with the Zeitax.com mounts . This opens up some great lenses like the 80/1.4 summilux or the 100/2.8 APO.

    The hot Nikon lens that is impossible to find without paying a dealer extra is the 58/1.2 Nocti Nikkor. The 28/1.4 AF is also a top lens thats hard to find.

    Roger
    Roger,

    Thanks for the reply. I am a ReidReviews subscriber and I have seen Sean's write-ups on the Zeiss. As I'm shooting with a D300, I chose the 21mm rather than the 28mm. I didn't choose the 50/2 as I'm inclined to get the 50/1.4 instead (and the 100/2 for any macro work).

    I don't have any R lenses, so that's not an option I'd explore , and I already have the Nikon AF 85/1.4 lens.

    Again, I appreciate the feedback on the Zeiss lenses but what I'm really anxious to get is more info on comparable older Nikon glass. I'm looking for the best IQ I can get, but also the best bang for my buck.

    Ciao,

  7. #7
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    I'm currently thinking of selling my Nikon zooms and going with fast prime lenses (for D300) and I'm trying to gauge the relative differences of older MF AIS/AI lenses versus the newer Zeiss and/or CV MF lenses. I've done a bit of searching here but haven't seen posts comparing the older Nikon glass to the newer Zeiss and CV lenses.

    Obviously buying the AIS/AI lenses is significantly cheaper than the newer lenses, but at what cost? The posts I've seen showing example of the Z and CV lenses are compelling, but there's no comparisons to older glass. I'm sure there's some excellent older glass out there.

    The lenses I'm considering are:

    Nikon (MF only)
    20mm f2.8
    24mm f2
    28mm f2
    35mm f1.4
    50mm f1.2
    105mm f1.8

    Zeiss
    21mm f2.8
    35mm f2
    50mm f1.4
    100mm f2

    CV
    58mm f1.4

    I won't be buying all of the focal lengths shown in the Nikon section above, they're just there for consideration. The Zeiss section really shows what I'd like to get WRT focal lengths.

    Of the listed Nikon lenses, which are excellent performers and which should I avoid? Likewise, which of the Zeiss or CV should be candidates that are unmatched? The Zeiss 100mm seems to be a stellar lens, for example.

    Any feedback would be appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Unless I find something really wrong with a particular product I find it very hard to completely dis something in favor of another but I'll try to give you my observations, as I have a bunch of the lenses that you listed. Also to put things in perspective, majority of my photography is people, more than 75%, wether its street, portraiture, nudes, family, etc., and the rest is landscape, so color, contrast and how a lens renders ranks very high for me. Center sharpness is important but I rarely notice it if the lens is a little soft at the edges. It might be because I shoot a DX camera for the most part.

    Lets start from your last lens,

    CV 58mm f1.4, don't much care for it, I find the bokeh horrible and the rendering ho-hum. I also don't like the fact that the lens cap doesn't fit with the hood attached.

    Zeiss, I have the 35/50/100 for quite sometime now and just got the 21mm a week ago. I really love all of them, the 35mm is my most used one, mainly because of its fl and wonderful rendering qualities. The 50mm is very sharp with great color and contrast, mf is a breeze with this lens but its not an fl that I use much with DX. I'm sure you've seen all the rave reviews of the 100mm, its well deserved. 21mm is new so I can't tell you much besides that it also has the great color and contrast of the rest of the line, is very sharp, and wonderful rendering. I don't have a real handle on this lens, so I can't tell you much about it.

    Now the Nikkors, I don't know all of them but I'm familiar with the 24, 35 and the 50mm in your list and I have nothing bad to say about them since I like their rendering too, maybe not as much as Zeiss but that's only personal preference. On the objective side they're not as sharp as their Zeiss equivalent nor the do they have CZ's color and contrast or its build quality, nevertheless I don't find much wrong with them.

  8. #8
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Unless I find something really wrong with a particular product I find it very hard to completely dis something in favor of another but I'll try to give you my observations, as I have a bunch of the lenses that you listed. Also to put things in perspective, majority of my photography is people, more than 75%, wether its street, portraiture, nudes, family, etc., and the rest is landscape, so color, contrast and how a lens renders ranks very high for me. Center sharpness is important but I rarely notice it if the lens is a little soft at the edges. It might be because I shoot a DX camera for the most part.
    David, thanks for your preface here... I concur with you, this is very much how I will use the lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Lets start from your last lens,

    CV 58mm f1.4, don't much care for it, I find the bokeh horrible and the rendering ho-hum. I also don't like the fact that the lens cap doesn't fit with the hood attached.
    Again, thanks... this is useful and I will leave this lens out of my deliberations.

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Zeiss, I have the 35/50/100 for quite sometime now and just got the 21mm a week ago. I really love all of them, the 35mm is my most used one, mainly because of its fl and wonderful rendering qualities. The 50mm is very sharp with great color and contrast, mf is a breeze with this lens but its not an fl that I use much with DX. I'm sure you've seen all the rave reviews of the 100mm, its well deserved. 21mm is new so I can't tell you much besides that it also has the great color and contrast of the rest of the line, is very sharp, and wonderful rendering. I don't have a real handle on this lens, so I can't tell you much about it.
    Appreciate the feedback on the Zeiss. Since I'll also be shooting DX, I'll think about the applicability of the 50mm. I know for the most part with zoom lenses that I'm generally at one extreme or the other. If I can get fewer but higher quality lenses, so much the better.

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Now the Nikkors, I don't know all of them but I'm familiar with the 24, 35 and the 50mm in your list and I have nothing bad to say about them since I like their rendering too, maybe not as much as Zeiss but that's only personal preference. On the objective side they're not as sharp as their Zeiss equivalent nor the do they have CZ's color and contrast or its build quality, nevertheless I don't find much wrong with them.
    Great to have your input on the Nikkors. I'm guessing that with the rather heavy-handed AA filtering on the D300 that the sharpness and contrast of the Zeiss would be a better fit. Many thanks for your assistance.

    Cheers,

  9. #9
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know whether the Nikon 1.4x TCII can be used with the Zeiss 100mm lens?

    Ciao,

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    The lenses I'm considering are:

    Nikon (MF only)
    20mm f2.8
    24mm f2
    28mm f2
    35mm f1.4
    50mm f1.2
    105mm f1.8

    Zeiss
    21mm f2.8
    35mm f2
    50mm f1.4
    100mm f2

    CV
    58mm f1.4
    I worked with Nikon gear for 30 years, prior to the digital era.

    A few of my all time favorite Nikon lenses are the Nikkor 20mm f/3.5 AI or AI-S (the f/2.8 version is often quoted as being superior, but I find this smaller, less expensive lens has nicer imaging qualities), the Nikkor 28mm f/2 AI (a superb performer in every way), the Nikkor 105/2.5 (all versions .. one of the legendary Nikkors) and the Nikkor 180/2.8 AI (the ED versions starting with the AI-S model do better on film than the AI, but the AI on a DX sized sensor has nicer imaging). I still use the 20/3.5 and 105/2.5 with my cameras today.

    Recent photos with the 20 and 105 lenses:

    105/2.5 AI :: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3622/...33831b95_o.jpg
    105/2.5 AI :: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3461/...40467a6f_o.jpg
    20/3.5 AI :: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3554/...d04b811f_o.jpg

  11. #11
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Thanks Godfrey.

    Cheers,

  12. #12
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    I have been using Nikon AIS lenses (20/2,8 and 50/1,2 on your list) on my D200 for three years and recently added Zeiss ZF 35/2. But I still shoot films with these lenses on my F5/6 film cameras.

    The Zeiss ZF 35/2 is one of the best 35mm lenses that I have although I only have had limited experience with it. It really performs well in almost all categories, color rendition, sharpness, open f-stop, and bokeh, and on and on...It easily outperform the Nikon 24-70/2,8 zoom, even though the Nikon zoom is an excellent lens of its own. On the DX format, I don't see any short comings of this lens. On film, I have not had a chance to compare it to the Leica 35 M-Summilux ASPH.

    For Nikon MF AIS lens on your list. I find the 20/2,8 a good lens but nothing really special. The 50/1.2 is not very sharp and has lower resolution at f1.2. Stepping down to f2,8, it becomes very sharp. I really like the color rendition and creamy bokeh of the lens. There are two other lenses that I really like but not on your list, 28/2,8 AIS and 105/2,5 AIS. I find these two lenses perform as well as my Leica M/Rs at similar focal lengths, but at a very small fraction of the cost.

    While I really enjoy using MF lenses, both Zeiss and Nikon, I still think that the zoom Nikon 24-70/2,8 AFS is hard to beat. I will not sell mine zoom lens anytime soon.

    Kind regards,

  13. #13
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Ocean,

    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the info. My initial choices have been driven by fast apertures, but, of course, if they don't perform wide open, it's moot. WRT zooms, yes, there's some stellar ones out there but I'm just tired of dragging around so much bulk and (especially with fast glass) weight.

    Cheers,

  14. #14
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Simon

    I know what you are looking for but I must ask....Why are you committed to the DX sensor ? This changes how most of these lenses were designed. For example this pushes you to the 21/2.8 verse the 28/2 for the same field of view. You would benefit the most by moving up to an FX sensor.

    If you every decide to do so..it could change your lens choices?

    Also on the Leica R lenses ..keep in mind that some stunning glass can be had for less than $500 ...I converted a 180/2.8 elmarit with the Leitax mount. I tried to sell this for $375 with no takers. On the D3 this lens is stunning. A 50/2 summicron can be found for $3-400. So cost wise the older R glass is pretty reasonable. I used these lenses with a adapter on a 5D so I know the difference from the Canon L glass.

    Good luck though in hunting for the Ai glass....my favorite was always the 105/2.5 .

    Roger

  15. #15
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Roger,

    I'm committed to the DX format because I have that, in 2 D300s. I might consider the D700 but then I'd end up with one body rather than two, as this change is being funded by selling off existing. Certainly moving to a FF sensor would help in the wide end. As it is, I'm picking the lenses that mimic (as close as possible) the classic 35, 50, 75, 100 etc focal lengths, and the wide end is MIA.

    I hadn't thought of the R lenses, and a quick check of a couple of websites (KEH etc) doesn't yield much, and even less at fast apertures. What I hope to gain back with primes is the aperture speed and the bokeh that I don't have now.

    I will, however give some thought to the FF sensor.

    Cheers,

  16. #16
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Roger,

    I'm committed to the DX format because I have that, in 2 D300s. I might consider the D700 but then I'd end up with one body rather than two, as this change is being funded by selling off existing. Certainly moving to a FF sensor would help in the wide end. As it is, I'm picking the lenses that mimic (as close as possible) the classic 35, 50, 75, 100 etc focal lengths, and the wide end is MIA.

    I hadn't thought of the R lenses, and a quick check of a couple of websites (KEH etc) doesn't yield much, and even less at fast apertures. What I hope to gain back with primes is the aperture speed and the bokeh that I don't have now.

    I will, however give some thought to the FF sensor.

    Cheers,
    Regarding adaptored or converted lenses, I can tell you from personal experience that the odd one here and there is ok, otherwise opening up to focus and closing down manually again and again for every shot gets pretty old, pretty fast unless you're always shooting static subjects and don't need to change settings continuously.

  17. #17
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Thanks, David, that is a good thing for me to keep in mind.

    Cheers,

  18. #18
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Regarding adaptored or converted lenses, I can tell you from personal experience that the odd one here and there is ok, otherwise opening up to focus and closing down manually again and again for every shot gets pretty old, pretty fast unless you're always shooting static subjects and don't need to change settings continuously.
    Depends on how you typically use the lenses and the amount of light you have. For example an 80/1.4 thats shot at 1.4 to 2.8 really doesn t need to be opened up to focus. Shooting typical travel shots in good light say at 5.6 can also be focused without opening up. If you are constantly facing low light then I would rather have the fast Zeiss lenses ..if for nothing more than the focusing accuracy.

  19. #19
    Mort54
    Guest

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Hi Simon, the following site may give you some of the comparisons you're looking for. Unfortunately, from the Nikon side, they mostly review the newer D lenses, not the older AIS/AI ones. But the Zeiss and Voightlander lenses are mostly covered (it's missing the 100/2 Zeiss for some inexplicable reason). All the tests are done on a DX body.

    http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

    Regarding your question about the 1.4x converter working on the Zeiss 100, I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Anybody know?

  20. #20
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Mort,

    Thanks, and yes, I know Photozone and checked there to start with. As you say, no older lenses are there unfortunately.

    Cheers,

  21. #21
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Simon, I think you should give a switch to D700 even more consideration. Obviously it won't stretch the IQ of FF lenses as much as a D300, since you will be looking at fullframe lenses anyway. DX strong sides are in modern zooms especially lower cost zooms from Tamron and Sigma (and clearly that's not what you are looking for) and long teles.

    Investing substantial amounts in high quality primes with the "wrong" focal length seems like a bit of a short-term investment, as there is a considerable probability that you will end up shooting fullframe eventually. Sell one of your D300's now before a replacement is announced.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  22. #22
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Lars,

    I am indeed considering a change to the D700. I need to be careful as this is a hobby for me and thus funds are always limited. Most of my walk-around photography is now done with a pair of G1s and various small sensor cams (LX3, DP1) so I am trying to keep the Nikon equipment as my high end system. To this end, the D700 makes even more sense so I'm weighing the options. Appreciate the feedback.

    Cheers,

  23. #23
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Just an update to this thread. I just sold my D300 bodies and picked up the D700. Now I'm selling my zooms and hope to pick up the following glass:

    CV 20mm f3.5
    Zeiss 28mm f2
    Zeiss 35mm f2
    Zeiss 100mm f2

    I'm keeping my nifty-fifty (f1.8) and the 300mm f4 and the 1.4X TC.

    This should give me a nice prime setup which I can also use on my G1 and more importantly, on my GH1 for video work with great DOF.

    Does anyone know if you can use the Nikon 1.4 with the Zeiss 100mm lens?

    Thanks to all who offered advice.

    Cheers,

  24. #24
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Hello Simon,
    D300 to D700 is a significant move -for the better.
    if i may, it's possible the best setup for D700 would be CZ21/35/50:2M/100
    IMHO 21 clearly superior to 28 except if you absolutely need the one extra stop. Offers more of an alternative to the 35, too. 50M is a killer. Maybe not weel known because of the price difference with the 50mmm 1.4. Totally different animal, though. 35 & 100 are already on your list -great primes.

    CV20 is cheaper than the Zeiss but offer a lot less especially FF. Great with DX, but lateral definition is so-so with FF.

    Re the CZ 100mm it worked with the 1.7 when i tried. No critical test though.
    And of course you have to setup the non-CPU parameters in the body menu.

    My couple of cents
    Last edited by Corlan F.; 22nd July 2009 at 10:52.

  25. #25
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Corlan,

    Thanks for the feedback. I'd love the ZF 21 but it's 4 x the cost of the CV and I wouldn't necessarily use it that much, hence the cheaper CV. OTOH, if I get it instead of the [CV20 and the ZF 28] then it's pretty much a wash price wise. I may consider that... thanks!

    I'm not really a 50mm shooter, so rather than buy the ZF or CV, I'll just keep the Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens.

    Appreciate the comments on the TC too. I'd much rather use it then carry another lens.

    Cheers,

  26. #26
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Corlan,

    Thanks for the feedback. I'd love the ZF 21 but it's 4 x the cost of the CV and I wouldn't necessarily use it that much, hence the cheaper CV. OTOH, if I get it instead of the [CV20 and the ZF 28] then it's pretty much a wash price wise. I may consider that... thanks!

    I'm not really a 50mm shooter, so rather than buy the ZF or CV, I'll just keep the Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens.

    Appreciate the comments on the TC too. I'd much rather use it then carry another lens.

    Cheers,
    I hate pushing people to spend extra dough... but you won't regret the 21 investment, especially in the '20+28' swap you describe from the original list. And if ever you regret it, it's an easy one to resell at a decent price. Btw CZ had interesting offers on their top primes (21-50-100) lately.

    Re the TC, please don't take my word for it and check it out thoroughly. It was amongst many tests, no quality control and it was the 1.7 not the 1.4.

    Maybe check with some Zeiss representatives first.

    Anyways, now that we talk about it, be aware that the manual focus is not the easiest on the 100 especially if you stop down a little. Can be much worse with 1.4, even at FA. I kinda remember (not 100% sure) that was the reason i quickly dismissed the 1.7+CZ at the time.

    On a general basis Nikon TCs are really designed to work with their Nikon lenses counterparts. Other results may -heavily- vary.

    Good luck and please keep us posted your first pictures with D700 and CZ lenses. Great combination, might need a little time to get the best out of it.

    Don't hesitate whether any hints would be helpful.

  27. #27
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Corlan,

    Again, thanks for the comments.

    One question I have for you and other D700 users is do you shoot 12-bit or 14-bit? Or, do you use both depending on the circumstance?

    Cheers,

  28. #28
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    CV20 is cheaper than the Zeiss but offer a lot less especially FF. Great with DX, but lateral definition is so-so with FF.
    Corlan,

    I'm wondering where this info came from? So far I've been unable to see any real reviews of the CV 20.

    Cheers,

  29. #29
    Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    CV20 is cheaper than the Zeiss but offer a lot less especially FF. Great with DX, but lateral definition is so-so with FF.

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Corlan,

    I'm wondering where this info came from? So far I've been unable to see any real reviews of the CV 20.

    Cheers,
    I can't speak for Corlan but what he's written is essentially the executive summary of Lloyd Chambers' review of the CV 20/3.5.

    I realize that you already, as do I, subscribe to Sean Reid's reviews. I have a range of A-IS, Zeiss ZF, and CV SL and SL II lenses, which I use on both D300 and D700 bodies. Given your interest in Zeiss/CV MF lenses, I'd strongly recommend that you also subscribe to Lloyd's DAP (diglloyd's Advanced Photography) and Guide to Zeiss ZF/ZE Lenses. Lloyd and Sean address the same issues from quite different viewpoints, both of which I regard as indispensable for anyone interested in these lenses. The money you would spend on subscriptions to Lloyd's reviews is trivial compared to what you are clearly willing to invest in these excellent MF lenses.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Having owned a number of ZF, CV SL and SLII, AiS and Leica (which can be converted to Nikon now) glass - I WHOLEHEARTEDLY 2nd Jonathon's recommendation. The $$ spent could save you (or cost you) a load of coin.

    I subscribe to both. I like LLoyd's frank opinions and helped him find his 90AA, etc - but I don't always agree with him (I found many of the ZF glass lacking vs CV or Leica). That said he does real world tests that are presented very well, speaks his mind and will change it if need be rather than stick to a story.

    Sean's reviews are also great and the side-by-side tests of lenses are very helpful. They also lead to some surprising results - many a time I've looked at one of his tests and found my fave rendering to be from one of the cheaper lenses.

  31. #31
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Corlan,

    I'm wondering where this info came from? So far I've been unable to see any real reviews of the CV 20.

    Cheers,
    Hi Simon,
    more of an opinion based on a sum of users feedback and results -including mine- than on reviews. Did not realize that it was close to LC's conclusions as stated by Jonathon above, nonetheless these are great reviews. Only culprit being he likes all of the CZ ZF so much that he makes you wanting to own each one of them.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •