Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica R lenses on the D3 - the 180mm f2.8

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Leica R lenses on the D3 - the 180mm f2.8

After seeing the possibility of mounting Leica R lenses on Nikon cameras through the use of the Leitax adapter, I decided to give it a try and got a few of these to modify my R lenses and be able to use them on my Nikon F mount cameras. So far I modified the 180 mm f2.8 R, 100 mm f2.8 R Micro, 35 mm f2. The optical quality of R lenses is fantastic, their ergonomics great for those of us who like to use manual lenses; focus is smooth, diaphragm works perfectly; the quality of the adapter is also top notch, doing the modification is very easy, is reversible and takes the whole of ten minutes. The only con is that you have to use stop down metering: not a deal breaker for many, but something you have to be aware of.

Anyway, after doing the modification and checking out that the lenses worked fine with the D3, I decided to give the 180 a go on a shooting; the results? In a word, I loved it.

Here is a couple of samples for you:

All with the D3, Profoto lights, Chimera sofboxes & modifiers. The whole gallery, for those interested, is here:
    http://www.pbase.com/vieripbase/triolibero_root

I thought the forum would be interested in the new possibilities that the Leitax mount adapter opens!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: Leica R lenses on the D3 - the 180mm f2.8

Your photos are stunningly beautiful. I especially like the first one. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica R lenses on the D3 - the 180mm f2.8

Beautiful series. My favorite is #471. That is a wonderful lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica R lenses on the D3 - the 180mm f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    Your photos are stunningly beautiful. I especially like the first one. Leica 77
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Beautiful series. My favorite is #471. That is a wonderful lens.
    Thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed the pics & the lens; having the possibility to use such glass on our Nikons is simply fantastic.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART