Site Sponsors

Thread: Opinions on the Pana Leica 14-150 lens?

asabet

Opinions on the Pana Leica 14-150 lens?

I'm thinking of picking one of these up to pair with the E-420. Is the performance in the wide part of the zoom as good as the 14-42 kit lens? Other comments or samples would be great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Opinions on the Pana Leica 14-150 lens?

Go for it, Amin! And if you get tired of it, you can sell it to me (for a very good price, of course,) I'd love to have that combo.
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Amin,

I know that Jono briefly had a 14-150, and sold it... so obviously it isn't for everyone, but I rate mine very highly. It's the central part of any shooting kit I take out - due to the flexibility.

If you're looking for something which performs better than the prime lens on your DP1, the 12-60 would be a better option (and it sits beautifully on the E-420) - but the 14-150 is almost as sharp and gives you that fantastic 28-300mm EFL range - with IS, but minus the weather sealing.

If you want flexibility with Leica colour go for the 14-150, if you want ultimate sharpness and performance, go for the ZD 12-60. Both are much more serious lenses than your plastic kit lens - you get what you pay for

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Amin
    As Brian said, I bought this and sold it.
    But I was using it on an E3, and I also shoot a lot between 24 and 28mm, so for my purposes, and considering the fact that the E3 already has image stabilisation, it had 3 disadvantages:
    1. it wasn't as wide as the 12-60
    2. it wasn't weathersealed
    3. it wasn't as good for close up as the 12-60

so I sold it.
    On the other hand, I did think it performed remarkably well, and if I had an E420 and wasn't fussed about the wide end, then it's a great buy.

Just this guy you know

asabet

Thanks Brian and Jono. It's an appealing lens, but I don't want to buy rashly, even though it might make for a good deal for Joan . Brian, I'm not sure what you mean by more serious than the plastic kit lens. I know it's got a more serious price . If it has better edge to edge sharpness from 14-42mm, then I am impressed.

Weather sealing is just about last on my priority list. Is the image stabilization on the 14-150 pretty effective? How much barrel distortion at 14mm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Much more serious investment, much higher build quality, much sharper, much better colour...

The 14-42 is a lovely, lightweight compact zoom lens and superb value for money - but as your own tests have confirmed against the DP1, it's not as sharp as the prime lens on the DP1.

Kind Regards

Brian