Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigma DP3M

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma DP3M

Now I've just got my DP2 Merrill and am happy I opted for the 40mm (equiv) version and I am pleased to see Sigma extend the family... buuut. I'd rather have seen a 21mm (equiv) version. Sorry not trying to be a spoil sport...

Having said that I can see a lot of HQ photo opportunities opening up with this new FL!

Well done Sigma.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bit boring. Not sure why that focal length is of much use. It certainly is not the "allrounder" as the link suggests, more of an oddball.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think one is enough for me till something interchangable comes along.
    Athough 3 DPm's is not heavier as ons dslr with three lenses.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Well if anything, from the photos I see the built in Macro feature!

I most certainly won't be buying one, but will be very interested in the shots others who partake in it will produce!

Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested in this if it was a 1:1 macro but then again, manual focus with the DP's isn't exactly fun...
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm actually intrigued because there's a technique I'd love to use a DP Merrill (with a perfectly mated lens) for but it requires a 'longer' length lens. It's called the Brenizer method and it stitches together a bunch of images to create one composite image created by a lens that couldn't possible exist (like a 35mm f0.8). And the SD1 was just too much of an investment to dabble in that.

Here are two examples of the technique. Works really well with people.
    Last edited by peterb; 17th May 2013 at 19:00.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I see with the Brenzier method with people is the very long write times of the Merrils. My kids would freeze in the snow or I would have aged some, and missed their graduation, wedding and grandchildren by the time its done!

(Joking of course!) I love your two shots, btw!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I'm actually intrigued because there's a technique I'd love to use a DP Merrill (with a perfectly mated lens) for but it requires a 'longer' length lens. It's called the Brenizer method and it stitches together a bunch of images to create one composite image created by a lens that couldn't possible exist (like a 35mm f0.8). And the SD1 was just too much of an investment to dabble in that.
    Looks little bit like tilt-shift, but different. I did a quick Google image search and it seems to be used a lot for wedding photography.

In regards to the DP3, I recall a comment a long time ago that Sigma's original plan called for 3 DP cameras. If true, I'm not sure why the DP3 took so long to arrive. I'll be curious to see how macro looks on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@Popphoto-So true! But the biggest issue is not so much the write times which certainly slows down at shot 6 when you need about a dozen or so to make the complete image but the computer dealing with these uber enormous files (even as jpgs converted from jogs in LR or your favorite pp program after SPP).

@andrew: You're absolutely right. The technique was developed by a rising star among wedding photographers named Ryan Brenizer. There's an interesting video produced by B&H in NYC featuring him and his technique.

Post Thanks / Like

A combo of DP1M and DP3M could make for a nice and reasonably versatile travel set up. And an even better one if Sigma added a wide angle converter for the DP1M.
    I'll stick with the DP2M for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter, I really like your shots. I just recently started dabbling in stitching like this on my m4/3 camera with a 40mm f2 (80mm eq). The results are pretty cool.

Buying a fixed-lens single focal length camera is always a difficult decision. The DP3M's lens leaves a bit to be desired. I agree, the DP3M's longer lens fits well for the brenizer method, except for the fact that it's rather slow (being a 75mm f4.2 full-frame equivalent). I really wish the lens had been f1.4, or at least f2. That would make the camera far more interesting in my mind, and make it easier to hand-hold too, since the focal length is longer. The macro option adds some additional usability, but is it enough? The jury's still out for me.

Post Thanks / Like

What intrigues me most is that on several occasions in the 'fun with DP2M' thread posters asked for a model with a focal length like the DP3M.

Perhaps Sigma is one of the few manufacturers actually following threads at GerDPI?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Peter, I really like your shots. I just recently started dabbling in stitching like this on my m4/3 camera with a 40mm f2 (80mm eq). The results are pretty cool.

Buying a fixed-lens single focal length camera is always a difficult decision. The DP3M's lens leaves a bit to be desired. I agree, the DP3M's longer lens fits well for the brenizer method, except for the fact that it's rather slow (being a 75mm f4.2 full-frame equivalent). I really wish the lens had been f1.4, or at least f2. That would make the camera far more interesting in my mind, and make it easier to hand-hold too, since the focal length is longer. The macro option adds some additional usability, but is it enough? The jury's still out for me.
    I agree that for the Brenizer method this lens is not very well suited, since the Brenizer mehtod doesn't defy the laws of physics you can only increase the apparent sensorsize, that means you get images that look like images with a 50/2.8 lens but with a larger sensor (depending on the number of images you sticht).

if you use a 75/1.8 on a mft camera that method will of course give you a smaller depht of field as a 25/1.4 would give you with the same angle of view but your not going to get a shallower depht of field as with a 75/1.8 (you can of course get a wider angle of view than with a 75/1.8 on a full frame unstiched)!
    so in my opinion the best camera system for this technique is 35mm with a fast and long lens. (or medium format but that is going to be expensive)

but I don't agree that they should have mad it a 1.4, nooo thank god they didn't. if they did, the lens would be inferior, larger and more expensive. or equal in quality, much much much larger and much much much more expensive. it is perfect the way it is. if you want a faster lens, get a sd1 with a 50/1.4 (or if something else entirely).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I think the Brenizer method is more accurately described as a way to increase sensor size, since that is what it really does I think. it doesn't really matter for practical reasons, but it might be easier to predict what you are able to get with a certain lens. for example don't expect any wonders with a 75/1.8 for mft if you only take less than say about 9 shots, you could get the same with a 85/1.8 with a fullframe one shot... however if you take a 200/2 and a full frame you are going to get some much more extreme images.
    also I think it is impossible to make a lens faster than f/0.5 so of course you can say it looks like a 35/0.3 (I know you said 0.8 which is possible of course, but that is not my point) but that doesn't make sense in a way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    What intrigues me most is that on several occasions in the 'fun with DP2M' thread posters asked for a model with a focal length like the DP3M.

Perhaps Sigma is one of the few manufacturers actually following threads at GerDPI?

or maybe they are just as smart/stupid as getDPI contributors are

but seriously, I think they would have been pretty fast if they did that as a reaction to posts in this forum.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A dedicated portrait camera with merrill resolution ...it could work for some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSRockit View Post
    A dedicated portrait camera with merrill resolution ...it could work for some.
    Yikes - it would be a retouching nightmare... too much detail. It's one of the reasons I prefer the Fuji cameras for portraiture.

Post Thanks / Like

For every person that wants to flatter a model with soft lenses, there's another trying to make super detailed photos of an exotic looking person with a bit too much life lived.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSRockit View Post
    For every person that wants to flatter a model with soft lenses, there's another trying to make super detailed photos of an exotic looking person with a bit too much life lived.
    I can't speak to that 1:1 ratio, but for those detail-oriented photogs, this camera should make them pleased.

BTW I have done some self-portraits with the DP2M (for trying out lighting scenarios) and I have definitely seen more detail of myself that I'd ever want to see again!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corposant View Post
    I can't speak to that 1:1 ratio, but for those detail-oriented photogs, this camera should make them pleased.

BTW I have done some self-portraits with the DP2M (for trying out lighting scenarios) and I have definitely seen more detail of myself that I'd ever want to see again!
    You can always use the clarity slider in LR in the opposite direction!

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

WAIT, is just me or does this focal length/macro combination BEG for some form of Image Stabilization built in? (Come on, get it right SIGMA!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    WAIT, is just me or does this focal length/macro combination BEG for some form of Image Stabilization built in? (Come on, get it right SIGMA!)
    yes it is just you

I definitely didn't want a tripod permanently attached to that camera. no thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonstucki View Post
    yes it is just you

I definitely didn't want a tripod permanently attached to that camera. no thank you.
    LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to check it out. There have been many times when I was shooting with the DP2M and wished I had a longer lens.

I'm ready. Bring it on!

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma and Image Stabilization? That's funny.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    There's a couple reason I could see for not including IS. First of all, it uses electrons, and there's no one complaining about their Sigma batteries lasting too long. The second reason is that IS is a compromise with regards to sharpness (it can actually degrade it---the system is 'working' when it doesn't need to).

It's another example of Sigma shooting for a specific niche. Excellent image quality, a great lens, a known quantity with regards to the sensor and ergonomics of the camera. Some people are going to love it, others will pass it by. I'm guessing that no one will be disappointed about the quality of the images you can make with it.

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kofronj View Post
    The second reason is that IS is a compromise with regards to sharpness (it can actually degrade it---the system is 'working' when it doesn't need to).

Jim
    I agree. IS = BS.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tempted to get one?

I might be. I think it would make a great dedicated landscape camera.

I mean, you could spend the same amount of money on a lens for any system you name or you could get the DP3M - as long as you view it as a lens with a digital sensor attached.

Just my thoughts.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

I've thought about adding another DP to my DP2m, but the lack of LR support stops me from doing it. It's bad enough dealing with one DP...and that one is worth it, but not sure if I want to go all out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I mean, you could spend the same amount of money on a lens for any system you name or you could get the DP3M - as long as you view it as a lens with a digital sensor attached.

Just my thoughts.

LouisB
    very much tempted yes. unfortunately my bank account has a word in this too an it isn't nearly as enthusiastic as I am... I guess I'll have to give it a little time to think things over. because I think the dp3m is a very good thing for the bank account, you can't hardly go any higher in quality and there is no temptation to buy five more lenses for it.

ah and I agree about the "lens with a sensor attached" theory/reasoning. if you want a 75 equivalent lens with the same or better resolution you have to pay at least 4 times as much at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are some pictures taken with it :

SIGMA DP3 Merrill ? The SIGMA DP3 Merrill Generation

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LouisB
    I agree with you.
    I am looking forward to this camera,

Just my thoughts.

LouisB
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonstucki View Post
    I think the Brenizer method is more accurately described as a way to increase sensor size, since that is what it really does I think. ......
    Using a different focal lenght give a very different perspective, depth of field etc.... The same area is shot but the final result cannot be compared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sinwen View Post
    Using a different focal lenght give a very different perspective, depth of field etc.... The same area is shot but the final result cannot be compared.

no, the perspective is only dependent on the distance to the subject. the focal length determines the reproduction ratio (on the sensor) at a given distance and in combination with the aperture the depth of field (again at a given distance of course and of course dependent on the resolution of the print/digital image).

an 90mm can be a ultrawideangle (8x10"), a normal lens (6x7), a telephoto (35mm, aps-c, mft) or a supertelephoto (compact camera sensor) depending on how (what max. angle of view) the lens is designed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Who cares about the so called Brenizer method this thread was supposed to be about the DP3m

Of course I will buy one. I'm addicted to the Merrils. However one is getting to the point of asking Sigma why not do what Leica did and design a lens with three fixed focal lengths? Three cameras is getting a little too much, methinks.

And yes, it will be good for panos, possibly even better for ultra high resolution panos at the DP2M is.

Quentin
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 12th January 2013 at 14:30.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DP3 is the best looking of the Merrills. Not sure if that qualifies as a reason to buy one, but it would be potentially good for head and shoulder portraits.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Of course I will buy one. I'm addicted to the Merrils. However one is getting to the point of asking Sigma why not do what Leica did and design a lens with three fixed focal lengths? Three cameras is getting a little too much, methinks.
    Quentin
    actually only the 28-35-50 is a lens with 3 focal lengths, the 16-18-21 is a zoom lens that can also be used at any focal length. (I don't know about any quality issues between the marked focal lengths) and of course with a rangefinder you have only viewfinder frame lines for certain discrete focal lengths.

but that is not my whole point, I think the real problem would be image quality or price. only of them can be pleasing at the same time

however as a forth version for lets say $ 4500 that might be a good idea. would be quite bulky of course but still smaller than all three cameras together.
    on the other hand for $4500 you could get a d800 plus 3 decent 1.8 primes and you'd probably (I'd really like if someone compared those two cameras, I would be especially interested in the corners) have an even better image quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's the lens I was referring to. I took both the current Merrils to Morocco and probably would have also taken a DP3 if one had existed then. All a bit mad, but then again, they are on to something. I only hope they capitalise on their success with newer and even better designs in the next few years. Not that I am complaining....
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    That's the lens I was referring to. I took both the current Merrils to Morocco and probably would have also taken a DP3 if one had existed then. All a bit mad, but then again, they are on to something. I only hope they capitalise on their success with newer and even better designs in the next few years. Not that I am complaining....
    Quentin - do you have any thoughts on the Merrills as travel cameras? How much more did you use the DP1M over the DP2M? I don't ordinarily make composite images, but the DP2M seems to lend itself well to it - it makes me wonder how well one could travel with just the DP2M...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a LOT of thoughts on that very subject!.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

OMG

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP3Merrill/s...o/SDIM1545.jpg

but does it look real?

and

Sample Photo Gallery | SIGMA DP3 Merrill : Special Contents

A generally beautiful microsite. I might be sold on 'A Longing for Simpler Times'

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP3Merrill/main.html

Lee
    Last edited by Sapphie; 30th January 2013 at 12:06.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to change my mind, I might be buying one! (Sigh)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh yes...
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a DP2M.

Now I am wondering about a DP1M DP3M combo - 75mm / 28mm ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still see a greenish cast to some of the low light shots in the "Prague"series. That does not worry me because I can correct for it it but I am a bit surprised Sigma have not done so for these shots.
    Quentin Bargate

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I bought a DP2M.

Now I am wondering about a DP1M DP3M combo - 75mm / 28mm ?
    Exactly my thought as well. A perfect travel combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Exactly my thought as well. A perfect travel combo.
    I'd still need the DP2M. I used the DP2M and DP1M combo almost exclusively in Morocco. The DP3M would make my happiness complete.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DP1M + DP2M + DP3M = travel trifecta.

Post Thanks / Like

DP1M & DP2M & DP3M & 3 Franiec grips & 9 batteries & 2 chargers, my new travel combo.