Site Sponsors

Thread: Cases and carrying DP2 Merrill

Post Thanks / Like

Cases and carrying DP2 Merrill

I know its a boring as, wondering how you carry and protect your DP2 Merrill?

I often tote a lightweight day backpack so have room for accessories, I'm looking for protection for my DP2M camera only while in the backpack with the possibility of a belt loop so it can go on my belt as need be.

Thoughts, ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cases and carrying DP2 Merrill

I normally just leave my L-plate/grip attached and use a LensCoat XX Small Hoodie slipped over the Sigma hood that I leave on 100% of the time. I generally just put my DP2 Merrill in its own pocket in my Arc'teryx Quintic backpack.

I also have a couple of padded pouches from various accessories over the years that work well when needed.
    Neil

Pete_G

I'm using a ThinkTank Lens Changer for my DP2M. It allows easy removal of the camera whilst still in the backpack. It has a sturdy belt loop if you wish to use it that way. It has a thin rain flap over the top. I think mine is, from memory, the 35 size but I can't be sure.

Pete_G

Just checked, mine is the 25 size, big enough for the DP2M with the Milich grip attached.

Post Thanks / Like

I use two bags: for just the DP2 Merrill and the Uwe stick, a tiny Explorer pouch on a strap; I sling this from one should to the opposite hip, and I can run with it on, too.

and for scale:

When I am shooting Panos, I mount the DP2 on the PT4Pano bracket and head, and put this in a Crumpler bag (Cokin grad filter in one of the pockets) and team that with the MeFoto tripod.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I know its a boring as, wondering how you carry and protect your DP2 Merrill?

I often tote a lightweight day backpack so have room for accessories, I'm looking for protection for my DP2M camera only while in the backpack with the possibility of a belt loop so it can go on my belt as need be.

Thoughts, ideas?
    So far the most useful way to carry the DP-2M and DP-1M is to keep it in a jacket pocket, with nothing else...

I've still not found a good case I like otherwise, especially since I have attached a grip and also the Optech flip-cap lens cap in place of the normal one.

As the summer approaches and jacket pockets are impractical, I'll probably look at a range of belt pouches.

In another forum I read someone found this very nice looking (fake) leather case that seems like it would offer a good protection in a backpack (and it's very cheap):

New Vintage Leather Camera Case Bag Cover for Sigma DP1M DP2M Brown or Black | eBay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_G View Post
    Just checked, mine is the 25 size, big enough for the DP2M with the Milich grip attached.
    Thanks for that, I nearly bought the 35. I think I'll likely end up with the grip as well so this is valuable info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    I use two bags: for just the DP2 Merrill and the Uwe stick, a tiny Explorer pouch on a strap;
    Hi Kit, from a crow-eater across the border.

Can I ask where you got the Explorer? Was it bought in Australia?

Cheers.

Tim

PS: thanks for taking the time to take pics of your rig

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim,

among the many bags I have, I honestly cannot remember where I got it. Have you tried googling it? Let me know how you go. I will be over in your neck of the woods soon, too. Cheers, Kit