Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: DP Merrill color Landscapes

More Fog. Or Mist. Or whatever.

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

nice place, are there small islands in the fog?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful place - it's Perast in Montenegro. Yes the two small islands both have monasteries/orthodox churches on them and are only accessible by boat or hardy swimmers of which I am not one.

Quote Originally Posted by foveon View Post
    nice place, are there small islands in the fog?

Post Thanks / Like

And you live there?
    I have been in the bay of Kotor long time ago with my parents

Post Thanks / Like

You have to love this camera's ability to resolve detail.
    look at the following crop, picture within a picture scenario.

PS: sorry that the actual quality does not come across here, I have no better way to upload images apart from letting them downsized here.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what i dont like about the merrills. The images look pretty dull sometimes. Like a layer of dust that is over it and makes it somehow dark looking without any hilights.
    I actually like the tonality of the first one but there is no real black in the image. The parts that should be black are grayish an the sky which should be more hilight is somehow way to dark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adsf View Post
    Thats what i dont like about the merrills. The images look pretty dull sometimes. Like a layer of dust that is over it and makes it somehow dark looking without any hilights.
    I actually like the tonality of the first one but there is no real black in the image. The parts that should be black are grayish an the sky which should be more hilight is somehow way to dark.
    I see what you are describing as post-processing taste; contrast adjustments mostly.
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No just a holiday at the beginning of September.

And you live there?
    I have been in the bay of Kotor long time ago with my parents

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Merrils are fantastic cameras at a very reasonable price, I'm puzzled why there's no more people using them.
    I'm very satisfied with my DP2M and I'm trying to sort out how many batteries I need to add and how can I charge several at the same time, any suggestions?
    Meanwhile, end of the day ...

Pedro Santos
    Last edited by raiz1; 3rd October 2014 at 04:30.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raiz1 View Post
    The Merrils are fantastic cameras at a very reasonable price, I'm puzzled why there's no more people using them.
    I'm very satisfied with my DP2M and I'm trying to sort out how many batteries I need to add and how can I charge several at the same time, any suggestions?
    Meanwhile, end of the day ...

Pedro Santos
    Conservatively, I usually figure about 75 shots per battery.

I usually just charge up about 3 or 4 the night before.

Get a 2nd charger.

Beautiful shot by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    I usually just charge up about 3 or 4 the night before.

Get a 2nd charger.

Beautiful shot by the way.
    I agree on all counts.

I have a second charger plugged into my car, and I have 3 extra batteries in my bag at all times.

It's just part of the Merrill experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anybody tried the Delkin Universal Charger Plates, like in
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A1P1BC4T3IFEO2
    I have these plates for my Leica batteries and it works well, charges 2 at same time, could be interesting as it uses the same base and the only thing that changes would be the plates.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Pedro

Post Thanks / Like

In the field I use an Anker 12000mAh power pack with 3 USB ports where I connect usb chargers. Every time I consume a battery, I load a fresh one in the cam and charge the spent battery in the bag to the Anker. This way, the spent battery is charging while I am shooting away.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the replies on the batteries and charger, I need to get a second charger!

Post Thanks / Like

I also have an Anker 12000 mAh connected to a custom charger which charges 4 batteries at the same time. As I replace batteries in the camera, I keep popping them in the charger so never run out. The Anker also charges my iPhone at full power simultaneously.

The charger for the batteries was advertised in a thread on this website (contact [email protected]); it works great.
    Last edited by Maxpace; 10th October 2014 at 12:16. Reason: added contact email address

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpace View Post
    I also have an Anker 12000 mAh connected to a custom charger which charges 4 batteries at the same time. As I replace batteries in the camera, I keep popping them in the charger so never run out. The Anker also charges my iPhone at full power simultaneously.

The charger for the batteries was advertised in a thread on this website (contact [email protected]); it works great.
    Hi there i use the Anker 13000mAh charger but i use it connected via a usb cable with a type H power plug which is then connected to the Sigma SAC-5 mains adaptor this is then inserted where the Sigma battery would normally go. i then get about 400 to 500 shots from a full charge with my DP3M set up this way, it does mean that you have a cable between the camera and the Anker but it's not really a problem espesially if only using with a tripod .
    I also have 3 x Sigma original batteries and 8 of the Wasabi ones, don't believe in running out of power

Regards
    Keith W

Post Thanks / Like

The Tushar mountains.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DP1M - first trip out.

Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Graham, great shot!

I hope you get half as much enjoyment with the DPM1 as I have with mine; if so, you'll be a happy camper. When I want as close to MFD quality in the smallest package, I grab my ThinkTank Retro Lens Changer 3 that is loaded with the three "little" DPMs, and head off with hardly a load to carry. I do bring along a tripod and a Hoodman Loupe and shoot 90% of my shots like I am shooting a 4x5".

The only thing I wish was different is the software. It would be nice to be able to pp the raw files directly through C1 or LR.

Welcome to the club and I look forward to your mages!

Kind regards,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Darr,

That's very interesting. My approach to the Sigma's is exactly the same as you. I've been looking to pick up this trio for a while and that opportunity came up recently. I know about the limitations of the camera system but also it's sweet spot which just happens to match my shooting style anyway. I wanted a purely landscape outfit to complement my Alpa/IQ260 in a much smaller package. So far I've been very impressed with the results albeit through the disjointed SPP vs C1 Pro but I can't really criticize the output from SPP. I just wish that it wouldn't crash so often though.

I have a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 3.0 which holds my DP1M, DP2M and DP3M plus a spot meter and a bag full of batteries. I have a loupe but do shoot it off of a full size tripod/Arca head. I've been shooting the Alpa and Sigma's side by side for the last week to compare the results - well obviously there's a big difference due to the technical camera lenses and the extra resolution but as far as I'm concerned, in good light, the results are like a lower resolution technical camera.

I've been providing entertainment for onlookers when out shooting because I'll have my MF gear on one tripod and another similar sized tripod with a little pimple on top that I'll swap between seemingly identical bodies since I'm essentially still testing the system out. I'm VERY pleased with it so far. There have been some colour quirks that I need to work through in post-sunset red glows blowing out the image but that may just be my competency with SPP for now. The speed of the camera is no problem at all for my type of shooting as I'm used to it anyway.

I look forward to sharing more images soon as I build up experience with the DP-M family.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 12th October 2014 at 00:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I've been providing entertainment for onlookers when out shooting because I'll have my MF gear on one tripod and another similar sized tripod with a little pimple on top that I'll swap between seemingly identical bodies since I'm essentially still testing the system out.
    That would be a site for onlookers.

After I went through the initiation phase, I decided to downgrade my Gitzo 1541's head with an RRS BH25 head and leave it in the trunk of my car for the Merrills. I spent the last 12 months or so slimming down my gear closet after I realized the Merrills were going to replace my Nikon gear. I know some photographers hang onto their gear even when they do not use it on a regular basis, but for me they are tools and I only keep what I use. I did eventually buy a SD1 Merrill for studio use and have not taken it out to see how it does in the landscape because I am spoiled by the DPMs. I currently use the SD1M in the studio for fine art projects and in that environment it works well for my needs.

BTW, I also bought a RRS Pocket Pod for the Merrills and it has given me a whole new perspective to shoot from, if only getting up and down in the dirt doesn't get to me so much.

I did purchase the aftermarket EVF from China, but find I like the Hoodman Loupe better, but I can see where some photographers may enjoy using it. If you are interested in trying out the EVF, shoot me a PM and I'll ship it out to you.

I am thrilled you bought into the system because I have felt in the right photographer's hands, these little beauties are remarkable with all things considered. Enjoy!

Kind regards,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

From this mornings walk..

I'll post a few more later.
    Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A few more...

Regards, Alan.

Post Thanks / Like

One more from my recent trip to the Tushar mountains.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple more...

Regards, Alan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Columbia River Sunset

The Sigma raws can be a bit funky I'm finding. Even in neutral color setting I'm getting some strange emphasized shadow transitions in the sky even with a straight unprocessed X3F file with no adjustments. I thought I'd over processed the contrast in the clouds but that's how it is in the raw file so I'm a little perplexed.

DP2M f/11 1/4s ISO 100
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 13th October 2014 at 12:27.

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DP3M f/11 1/8s ISO 100 - yup, it really was that pink. No PP, stright from SPP into PS CC2014 and save for printing.

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How did you meter? DP2m is set to 1/4, DP3m to 1/8?

Post Thanks / Like

Columbia River Sunset

The Sigma raws can be a bit funky I'm finding. Even in neutral color setting I'm getting some strange emphasized shadow transitions in the sky even with a straight unprocessed X3F file with no adjustments. I thought I'd over processed the contrast in the clouds but that's how it is in the raw file so I'm a little perplexed.
    I do not process my files through SPP, but some who do, unsharpen them some. I load the Raws into SPP and process them as TIFs and then post-process the TIFs in LR or C1. To me, SPP is the weakest link in the Sigma chain and embarrassingly so.

Post Thanks / Like

DP3M f/11 1/8s ISO 100 - yup, it really was that pink. No PP, stright from SPP into PS CC2014 and save for printing.

The Foveon sensor IMO is capable of incredible color reproduction, thus my biggest attraction to the Merrill system. I have been able to capture intricate and delicate color that no other system, digital or film, has done for me before. Sometimes the sharpness of the files need to be tamed, and learning the limits of the Foveon's tolerances is akin to shooting slide film. It can be at times a different set of workflow steps then the typical digital workflow, but it can be well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I do not process my files through SPP, but some who do, unsharpen them some. I load the Raws into SPP and process them as TIFs and then post-process the TIFs in LR or C1. To me, SPP is the weakest link in the Sigma chain and embarrassingly so.
    I don't totally agree here Darr.

One thing SPP is excellent for is recovering shadow detail via the X3F fill light
    slider.

I intentionally will underexpose some because I know the power I can find there.

Other than that I tend to agree w you.

Batch process the Raw's into Tiffs and then season to one's own taste in a good post processing program like LR or Topaz.

I find X3F almost endlessly flexible and highly malleable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    I don't totally agree here Darr.

One thing SPP is excellent for is recovering shadow detail via the X3F fill light
    slider.

I intentionally will underexpose some because I know the power I can find there.

Other than that I tend to agree w you.

Batch process the Raw's into Tiffs and then season to one's own taste in a good post processing program like LR or Topaz.

I find X3F almost endlessly flexible and highly malleable.

Different strokes for different folks; its all about being creative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How did you meter? DP2m is set to 1/4, DP3m to 1/8?
    I meter manually. Probably just because I changed cameras and shot the DP3M first and then with the DP2M I opened up a stop to fill the histogram a bit more.

Btw, why the heck did Sigma disable the live histogram in manual exposure mode? That makes no sense to me. I appreciate having it in PAS modes but why not manual too?

Post Thanks / Like

Its not just the histogram but also the live view doesnt work in manual mode, very stupid idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Prague

Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shot.

That Church in the foreground looks like it would be amazing to see up close.

Post Thanks / Like

From a road trip with DP1M & DP2Quattro. These are from the DP1M & Ricoh 0.75 wide angle adapter, i.e. providing a 21mm equivalent fov.

Post Thanks / Like

First day when we arrived at Prague

Keep It Simple.
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

DP1M

by Dimy4, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Later in the evening in Prague

Keep It Simple.
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

nowadays here around
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I took these pictures using the DP 2M/3M during my road trip to scotland last week.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Columbia River Sunset

DP2M f/11 1/4s ISO 100
    Classic Foveon Sky. You can tone it down, but it can be appealing.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Classic Foveon Sky. You can tone it down, but it can be appealing.
    I've recently noticed this. The camera appears to see variations in cloud cover that I cannot see. So, what can to the eye look like a grey overcast ends up being textured with shades of grey (not that sort!)

You say this is the Foveon look but is it Merrill and Quattro?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    I've recently noticed this. The camera appears to see variations in cloud cover that I cannot see. So, what can to the eye look like a grey overcast ends up being textured with shades of grey (not that sort!)

You say this is the Foveon look but is it Merrill and Quattro?
    Merrill. A Quattro would probaly blow the sky out. It their Achilles' heel.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Some infos for you guys, I must have provided it before but here we go :

¤ "Unlimited" shoot time with Merrill DP : ANKER3 battery via SAC5 adapter.

¤ Too contrasty clouds when shattered : You can't do anything for that apart PP the sky afterwards. That's a Merrill particularity.

¤ Quattro blowing : Like the other AFE DP/SD so DP1x/DP2x/SD15 >> it blow highlights but also wavelengths. Flower shoot is just complicated (you take the camera and throw it at the river). Even when you set the quattro with tiny focussing point and spot, and EVEN IF HISTOGRAM say it's ok. The Histogram on the Quattro is wrong. Take a tripod, show histogram, expose something to the right at the limit of blowing the wind, you will notice blown thing in the final file EVEN if the histogram say no.

¤ Relativity between foveon and film : Film is FAR easier. Look like nobody shoot film any-more. Film is easier to expose in every situations than any digital devices apart latest sony FF. Ektar 100 for example, Superia 200 ...

Hope this help

@ Sir GrahamWelland:

You will notice the unlimited amount of time you can spend on a Merrill file to look "more normal". With years I developed scripts for that in PS so it take few seconds now but foveon files should be studied over a long period to be tamed. Can go from one week to one year; sometimes never (Dpreview sigma forum for example: here we reach decades of crap).
    Last edited by Hulyss Bowman; 2nd April 2015 at 23:30.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com