The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D with HC Lenses

jmosier01

Hi all,

I’m considering moving from my H system over to an X1D. I primarily shoot headshots and portraits and am hoping to be able to use my 100 f/2.2 H lenses on the X1D. Would love to hear if anyone is doing this and how it is in comparison to shooting on an H. I shoot tethered to a MBP and am tripod mounted 95% of the time.

Thanks!

Boinger

Hi all,

I’m considering moving from my H system over to an X1D. I primarily shoot headshots and portraits and am hoping to be able to use my 100 f/2.2 H lenses on the X1D. Would love to hear if anyone is doing this and how it is in comparison to shooting on an H. I shoot tethered to a MBP and am tripod mounted 95% of the time.

Thanks!
Manual Focus will be fine. Autofocus is not as great compared to an H6 body. Also you need a orange dot lens to AF on a X1d make sure the firware version can be updated.

jmosier01

Manual Focus will be fine. Autofocus is not as great compared to an H6 body. Also you need a orange dot lens to AF on a X1d make sure the firware version can be updated.
Thanks! I only manually focus with my H3D bodies and one of my 2 100hc lenses has a dead at motor.

I’m just getting to the point where I’m tired of having to buy more and more hold h bodies. Getting an X1d at least eliminates the aux shutter part of the equation.

clonardo

I went from an H4D-60 with 100/2.2 to an X1D II with 80/1.9. As much as I loved the 100/2.2, the 80/1.9 puts it to shame in every objective category, and I don’t miss the older lens (the CCD colors on the H4D, I will admit to occasionally missing). If that’s not in the budget, the Fuji 110/2 on a a GFX is also an incredible, modern setup. And if you don’t need a super-shallow DOF, I’ve been more than impressed with the XCD 90/3.2 on my X1D II.

robmac

We use an H5D and GFX, the latter with HC/D lenses on many occasions. It's utterly painless, so doing so on a X1D will be as easy or better. Imagine manual focus on your H3D but with focus peaking, etc.

The only 'drawback' is that with an adapter the longer HC lenses can feel unbalanced on smaller mirrorless bodies. That said, if you shoot on tripod most of the time, it will be somewhat irrelevant.

jmosier01

Very interesting. The 100 is my second favorite lens behind the 50 lux asph. Would you happen to have any portraits you could post with the 80? Very curious now!

I went from an H4D-60 with 100/2.2 to an X1D II with 80/1.9. As much as I loved the 100/2.2, the 80/1.9 puts it to shame in every objective category, and I don’t miss the older lens (the CCD colors on the H4D, I will admit to occasionally missing). If that’s not in the budget, the Fuji 110/2 on a a GFX is also an incredible, modern setup. And if you don’t need a super-shallow DOF, I’ve been more than impressed with the XCD 90/3.2 on my X1D II.

robmac

Fine - and I imagine no worse than the X1D or any mirrorless.

One nice thing is you can press one button and flip between the lens shutter (with 1/800 sync) or the body shutter (1/4000 max and 1/125 sync) when using an HC/D lens. The adapter is well made, nice and sturdy.

How is the shutter lag using HC lenses on the GFX?

I love my H 100 2.2 on the X1D. The AF works well, I haven’t had any issues. I haven’t tried the xcd 80, so can’t compare woth that.