The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 HDR Samples:

D

dickinsonjon

Well, in this case I much prefer the original pictures, in the case of all those examples, but then again maybe I'm not that much of an HDR kind of guy :)

Cheers
JD

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

I have to agree with Jon that the original images seem better to me. I have never tried bracketing and compiling one image but these do appear to be unnatural. The originals look nice though.

D

dickinsonjon

HDR is a very easy tool to over-use, like many things. The main problem is that it only exists as a true HDR image in a form that you can't see it. Mapping it to a reproducible dynamic range is the very devil's compromise and where it gets unnatural. Our eyes have got used to what a 'normal' photograph looks like over the years, and can usually spot something hokey a mile away without needing to know any technical details, in the same way that someone untrained in music can tell something is wrong with a band without having to spot that the rhythm section aren't very tight, or whatever.

cheers
JD