The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help girlfriend decide on a point and shoot

V

VladimirV

The GX100 needs around 3-5sec to write RAW depending on the card used. As for the EVF, I do not think it's worth paying extra for since I don't find the quality taht good although it's miles ahead of the OVF in the G9 since it shows you 100% coverage of the scene, is not obstructed by the lens and also has all the shooting information available.

The OVF in the G9 is so bad, IMO, that it's not worth even worrying about having it or not compared to other cameras. It's not more than a tiny hole through the camera.

The GX100 makes it easy to use external OVFs since it has the step zoom so you always know what focal length you use at the moment.

Terry

Just remember while the LX2 is a very good camera (I own the Leica version), we are closing in on 2 years since it was announced (July '06) and it is overdue for an update. That won't stop a newly acquired LX2 from still working and waiting doesn't help you take pictures today but best for full disclosure.

nostatic

my DLux3 (same as LX2) has RAW write time of a couple seconds - no way it is 10-12 seconds. I find that I don't miss a viewfinder at all with that camera...using the screen allows you to do things you couldn't do if you had to raise the camera to your face.

It isn't perfect, but if you like 16x9 it is the only native game in town for that. THere have been rumors of an LX3 for awhile. Panasonic is off their usual update cycle with that camera, so I'm not sure what to say about it. If they had followed their usual timing, the new version would have been announced last September iirc.