The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G10 and SD880 have the same sensor???

Rawfa

I was reading a Canon G10 review by Ken Rockwell where he compares it to the SD880 and states that both these cameras basically have the same sensor! I thought he was crazy...but then I started reading this on other reviews. Additionally I've checked out some side by side comparisons and I was amazed at how similar the photos were. Can this be possible?! I mean, the SD880 doesn't have manual control or raw, but even so it's pretty incredible.

Amin

The SD880 uses a smaller, lower MP sensor than the G10. The SD990 uses the same sensor as the G10 though, and the SD990 lens is actually slightly faster than the G10 lens when both are at 35mm equivalent. However, the G10 lens has much better corner performance. Many times I have considered buying the SD990. The Quick Mode on the SD990 is very useful. If it had RAW, I would have jumped a long time ago.

Rawfa

Man, what a shame the SD880 doesn't have at least a shutter limit function. I'm extremely impressed with it's quality. As for the Sd990, it doesn't have a 28mm wide angle.... :(

Amin

I used to look for a camera that goes wide at least to 28mm (equivalent), but recently I've come to appreciate the ones that start at 35mm. This is because I most often shoot at 35mm, and the ones which start there are ready to go at my preferred focal length as soon as I turn them on. Also, they tend to have slightly faster lenses at any given focal length, plus generally better corner performance when considering the Canon lineup.