CHF 956

SimonL

Re: DP1 Advertisement in Australia

For those among us in Blighty

£440

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

No photo for it. Still smells like vaporware.

wbrandsma

They had a lot of rain in Australia recently. But maybe within 5 days at the PMA. Some competition for Ricoh is not bad at all.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd love it; if ever shows up and works as promised.

But M8 owners know better. sigh

wbrandsma

Both cameras are out of reach for me. One is still not there and the other is a bit pricey

wbrandsma

A digital Leica CM would be nice too.

7ian7

.... yes, or a digital Canonet, or Hexar (bigger but cheaper, relatively). Still, that DP1 is sure to generate a bit of a wave.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A digi Canonette would be fantastic. I've got a QL-17 GIII and man, it's a sweet little thing.

7ian7

Nice!

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    A digital Leica CM would be nice too.
    My dream come true? A digital Nikon SP.

stnami

Australian prices for photo goods are excessively high,,,vanbaar are also higher than most and their cattle dogs are unreliable full of stuff that doesn't exist ....
    Aus prices eg Canon HV-20...buy in US and pay delivery AU$812 ........ buy in Aus try about AU$1599
    ..............so pay no head to the prices or its existence

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

last night i dreamed about doing selective curves in Photoshop. tonight i'll dream of the DP1. sheesh! can't a girl get any sleep around here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigma has released a new teaser on their site that wasn't there a day or two ago: http://sigma-dp1.com/ looks like they're finally coming out with it for PMA.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's even half of what it promises to be, I'll be sorely tempted to get one. It might even make me forget about the Ricoh.

But it won't really be a small sensor camera, will it?

helgipelgi

Interesting indeed.

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before, but why does it have W and T buttons at the back if it's a fixed lens? I'm referring to the prototype pics from DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07030807sigmadp1.asp

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helgipelgi View Post
    Interesting indeed.

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before, but why does it have W and T buttons at the back if it's a fixed lens? I'm referring to the prototype pics from DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07030807sigmadp1.asp
    Because with a large sensor to deal with there was room to use a digital zoom without having a big impact on image quality (yes you could crop after the fact). I think I read this in info put out by Sigma.

VladimirV

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before, but why does it have W and T buttons at the back if it's a fixed lens?
    Guess it's the same as for the GRD where you can use them for the digital zoom and hopefully (same as the GRD again) you can use them for EV compensation.

The DP1 is an interesting concept and I am looking forward to try it out. Don't think it will really replace my GRD but could be interesting to complement it for certain shots where the extra quality would be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: DP1 Advertisement in Australia

I think pocketability could be an issue; it's over 50mm thick, according to the specs. The Height & Width are just 1mm larger in each direction compared to the GX-100... but the thickness could be a worry... it's about as thick as my SLR.

helgipelgi

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08013108sigmadp1.asp

Available this spring!

This is enough to take my mind off the GRDII. Looking forward to some hands-on reports from PMA

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack and Guy,
    Can we send you on a mission at PMA!!!! After your meeting with Leica will you guys check out the Sugma booth pleeeeeeeeeze!

Post Thanks / Like

Max ISO is 800, combined with max aperture of f/4, it's definitely somewhat limiting for darker scenes, at least for some people. Combined with its not being nearly as 'pocketable' as a GRD or even GX100... I'm thinking the GRD2 still might win out in the "take-everywhere-with-quality" stakes - though obviously not in terms of noise most likely. It's certainly going to be very interesting to see some samples & hear some feedback about the DP-1!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, now I know what will keep me company when my M8 is in Solms for its upgrade!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Alas, still not a digital Hexar AF
    It may be of interest still if one thinks of it as a digital Fuji GSW690 to the GRD's 35mm film GR.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kai.e.g. View Post
    Max ISO is 800, combined with max aperture of f/4, it's definitely somewhat limiting for darker scenes, at least for some people. Combined with its not being nearly as 'pocketable' as a GRD or even GX100... I'm thinking the GRD2 still might win out in the "take-everywhere-with-quality" stakes - though obviously not in terms of noise most likely. It's certainly going to be very interesting to see some samples & hear some feedback about the DP-1!!
    I am very curious to see the reviews of this camera. I've been curious about it and checking progress for the last year. I am not in any rush for another small sensor camera and do like what I've seen from the GRD II and GX100. I am with you that f4 and ISO 800 could be a problem as I've used ISO 1250 and f2 with a slow shutter speed when out at a some restaurants/bars with friends. If I am stuck using the DP1 as a good light camera my d-lux3 works just fine for the sized prints I would need. I was looking for it to really shine where my other small sensor cameras don't in low light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I dont think My M8ate has anything to worry about - but some of teh lower 'consumer' end CaNikon DSLRs will probably be in competition with a new product - and yeah I have been waiting for just such a nice lil portable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I was looking for it to really shine where my other small sensor cameras don't in low light.
    Yes, me too. Chances are ISO/F will sink this otherwise interesting mini-brick for me.

Thomas

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

helgipelgi

Yeah, it's on the previous page -- interesting what they say about the lens:

Quote Originally Posted by DP Review
    "16.6mm F4 lens designed exclusively for the DP1
    The DP1 is equipped with a 16.6mm F4 lens, equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm SLR camera, which has been designed exclusively for DP1. The large-diameter of aspherical glass provides low distortion and high contrast images. It also offers superior peripheral brightness. The super multi-layer coating reduces flare and ghosting. It allows photographers to take pictures in difficult light conditions. This lens and SLR-sized image sensor provides natural shallow depth-of-field."
    Just marketing gibberish, or is there something I'm not seeing here? Is the Foveon more sensitive to light than regular CMOS/CCD?

Lewis

It certainly looks the part, but if their SD14 was anything to go by it'll be overpriced and not as impressive as the hype suggests.. I hope i'm wrong though, as i'd like one!
    Still seems Ricoh are the only company that think about the design of the camera in depth though. The Dial on my Leica D Lux 3 used to get turned every time I removed it ffrom the leather case as it had no 'lock' on it so to speak. When I made the tranisition to the Ricoh it just seemed all the controls were in the right place. I literally have no gripes with the functionality of it. Not sure if Sigma have thought out their design as it looks to similar to the D Lux 3...I hope i'm mistaken though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Given that Sigma, for whatever reason, have foregone low light competence with their choice of a slow lens and low ISO, the only IQ advantages remaining might be the greater Dynamic Range implicit to a larger sensor.
    Hence my earlier comparison of it to the GSW690 medium format (6x9cm) rf camera with a fixed 65mm (28mm efl) f5.6 lens.
    While the Fuji could and can be used with fast film, it does not have a fast lens.
    I still do not understand how Sigma can claim shallow DOF tho.
    Physics is physics.

helgipelgi

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    I still do not understand how Sigma can claim shallow DOF tho.
    Physics is physics.
    Possibly with a normal/tele adapter lens?

Anyway, I hope someone will be able to play with it at PMA and post pictures. And btw. if the Sigma booth happens to be unusually well lit, then we know the reason :)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll just point out that last year Sigma said all the same things (including a "Spring" release date) and had cameras in their booth and, well, it's still vaporware.

When Popflash has one in stock, I'll believe it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    I'll just point out that last year Sigma said all the same things (including a "Spring" release date) and had cameras in their booth and, well, it's still vaporware.

When Popflash has one in stock, I'll believe it.
    Maggie, my understanding is that this *is* a serious release.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Maggie, my understanding is that this *is* a serious release.
    That's what Sigma said last year, too.

Also, the check is in your mouth and of course they love you.

Sean_Reid

If it's even half of what it promises to be, I'll be sorely tempted to get one. It might even make me forget about the Ricoh.

But it won't really be a small sensor camera, will it?
    No it won't be but we might as well discuss here anyway.

Note the focus wheel, that's exactly what Ricoh, Leica, etc. should be doing with their compact cameras.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by kai.e.g. View Post
    I think pocketability could be an issue; it's over 50mm thick, according to the specs. The Height & Width are just 1mm larger in each direction compared to the GX-100... but the thickness could be a worry... it's about as thick as my SLR.
    50 mm is 10 mm thicker than the GX-100 but still, I think, slim enough for a jacket pocket.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post

Note the focus wheel, that's exactly what Ricoh, Leica, etc. should be doing with their compact cameras.

Cheers,

Sean
    I did take notice of that and you're right- every single compact digital camera should have one. It made the DP1 all the more attractive.

Sean_Reid

Yeah, it's on the previous page -- interesting what they say about the lens:

Just marketing gibberish, or is there something I'm not seeing here? Is the Foveon more sensitive to light than regular CMOS/CCD?
    Marketing...ISO is ISO (give or take a 1/3 stop here and there).

Cheers,

Sean

VladimirV

This is true but then the DP1 has only the focus wheel and no shutter and appreture and this I think would be more impotant.

The max ISO of 800 together with an f4 lens could be an issue in low light situations but also a big disapointment is that is does not have a macro mode (min focus distance 30cm! ).

I think the GRD II has a lot of advantages over the DP1 and for now at least the DP1 looks like the Fuji F30 "great sensor, shame about the rest". But I am looking forward to use one when/if it comes out.

Given the choice today I'd still buy a GRD II or GX100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marketing...ISO is ISO (give or take a 1/3 stop here and there).

Cheers,

Sean
    Given this and the other comments here, just who is target market for the DP1? Enthusiasts might be put off by the contradictory features; and presumably Joe Average won't be interested, and it's not a fashion statement.

Bertie

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers,

Sean
    Sean,
    I missed that. Where do you see this? I agree whole heartedly with the need!

Manual Focus= Dial Type

is that it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=VladimirV;8927]This is true but then the DP1 has only the focus wheel and no shutter and appreture and this I think would be more impotant.
    QUOTE]

The blurb says that the auto focus has 9 points, but doesn't make it clear if the focus wheel merely selects these, or if manual focus is continuous from whatever the minimum distance is to infinity.

Bertie
    Last edited by Robert Campbell; 31st January 2008 at 11:41. Reason: typo

Lewis

There's no doubt it's a fine looking camera-but we just have to wait and see how it performs if and when it's released! Could be a while yet!

helgipelgi

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    The blurb says that the auto focus has 9 points, but doesn't make it clear if the focus wheel merely selects these, or if manual focus is continuous from whatever the minimum distance is to infinity.
    9 points as in a 9 square grid for moving the focus inside the frame (ala LX2/DL3)

What I'm curious about is whether the focus wheel has distance markings on it, or at least if it is calibrated (as opposed to being a jog wheel, if you know what I mean).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In the top view photo I saw (at DPReview, I think) it had distances marked on it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In the top view photo I saw (at DPReview, I think) it had distances marked on it.

That alone would be step forward in digital camera design, back to scale focus.
    And it would rock!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

9 points as in a 9 square grid for moving the focus inside the frame (ala LX2/DL3)

What I'm curious about is whether the focus wheel has distance markings on it, or at least if it is calibrated (as opposed to being a jog wheel, if you know what I mean).
    You are quite right - sorry - going gaga again
    But I haven't seen any top plate pix.

Bertie

studio67

Wink Re: DP1 Advertisement in Australia

You mean this image?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by studio67 View Post
    You mean this image?

I have now and concede defeat..