The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The wait is over - the DP2 is here.

Rick Waldroup

Thanks Simon. Yes, I see your point now. As I am planning to possibly use this camera in low light situations, I can see where a good LCD would be important, especially concerning a shallow DOF.

bbodine9

Simon see my post on the hoodloupe & arca swiss plate

Simon,

My post might be of some use in this regard, this combo is very effective it seems to me and not hard to use.

bbodine9

fordfanjpn

I agree that an external VF is the way to go for hyperfocal shooting. The reason I'm going on about the LCD is that with the 2.8 lens, being able to judge where the focus point actually is is more difficult than the DP1. Don (Streetshooter) brought this concern up as well. An external VF is not going to be of any use in this situation. If I'm going to spring for this camera and take full advantage of the shallow DOF it provides (unlike the GRD etc) then I want to have a good enough LCD to do so. Trying to do that with Sigma's (to date) LCD is touch-and-go in low light or high light. I've not seen this question in any other DP2 threads, hence my interest.

Cheers,
Simon,

That's an excellent point, and I'm afraid that it will be a point of contention for some people. All the shots I posted were done with AF, but I did try MF when I was showing the camera to a friend, and I can tell you that trying to do so on the LCD is not easy. I don't think it will be a problem for close up stuff, but using it out on the street will be no easier, or maybe even harder than with the DP1. This is something I'll definitely try tomorrow, assuming the rain stops.

Bill

simonclivehughes

Re: Simon see my post on the hoodloupe & arca swiss plate

Simon,

My post might be of some use in this regard, this combo is very effective it seems to me and not hard to use.

bbodine9
I assume that you mean the HoodLoupe? Sorry, but this is not an option I'd be remotely interested in when there are such superior LCDs easily available. If you've seen the one on the GRDII or the LX3/D-Lux 4 for example, you'll know what I mean. Besides, why should we have to put a fairly large contraption onto a compact camera in order to be able to use it in conditions that are inevitably going to be common for virtually all users? This simply isn't good design.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud Sigma for creating a unique product that we photographers have been lusting after for years. And, I love my DP1. It's just that for a third generation product (the first generation being the one they scrapped to get to the second generation DP1 as released), they should have corrected this glaring (no pun intended) error. What wasn't good design on the first model becomes lousy design on the next.

I may just forget about the DP2 and use either my D-Lux 4 or my G1 (with the 20mm f1.7 lens) for 40mm focal length work. Yes, I know they're going to give me the same results, but it'll be damn close.

Cheers,