Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sigma DP1 review photos:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigma DP1 review photos:

For all who may be intersted here are some additional DP1 photos from a review site blog...pretty interesting photos.

Link: http://blog.paran.com/foveon/24785998

VladimirV

Re: Sigma DP1 review photos:

I played around with one yesterday and you can find pictures of the camera (not from the camera!) and details on my blog and flickr account.

Here's my verdict of the build and operation, more will follow on my blog.

I was very interested in the DP1 but after handling it at the Focus in Birmingham yesterday I am very dissapointed considering the price.

The Ricoh GRD II screen is a lot better with clearer colors, wider viewing angle, higher resolution and most important higher refresh rate.

The DP1 screen is more like the GRD I screen but with a slower refresh rate. Paning around does not work well.

The Ricoh GRD is better crafted in every respect and aside from the larger sensor and manual focus wheel I do not see much going for the DP1. The DP1 and accessories are made out of plastic and feel like this, there is no grip on the DP1, the OVF is dark and the framelines difficult to see, the camera reacts slow and the RAW write time is around 4-5sec. without a buffer.

Even the Sigma reps and people at the booth were very impressed by the build of the GRD and especially the OVF.

The IQ should be better and I liked some of the large prints they had and while I printed a large image from the GRD it does not quite compare. But I will wait to get a proper comparisson with the GRD II before making up my mind how much better the DP1 is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vladimir

Useful feedback... I'll look forward to having a play with it myself tomorrow.

If, as you say the build quality is poor then the price will drop more quickly - and the most important thing is the image quality.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian,

It has been reported that it now features IS. Could you please verify this. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

DP1 sample images are available from Sigma now.

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/jp/sample-photo/index.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the photos and report, Christian!

Makes me think that waiting for the DP2 would be prudent.

VladimirV

I am sure if it would feature IS Sigma would use it in their brochure and for advertising. There was no mention of IS in the menu, all you have is a slow shutter warning icon and light that might've been mistaken for IS as it looks like the IS on symbols.

Post Thanks / Like

DR may be a big plus for the DP1 base on the samples.

tm

asabet

I printed a couple of the official samples and am really impressed. Another month to wait... If Sigma announces another delay, I'm going to go batty!

VladimirV

I posted my impressions on my blog.

Overall rather disappointed, great sensor but not impressed with the rest. Think as a package the GRD II is better.

Post Thanks / Like

Where abouts on the link are the images? If they show up without having to click any links then my browser (safari) is having problems with the page.

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Where abouts on the link are the images? If they show up without having to click any links then my browser (safari) is having problems with the page.
    It's not your browser. The site is having intermittent trouble. Direct links to the individual photos still work.

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/sample-phot...gmaDP1-001.jpg
    http://www.sigma-dp1.com/sample-phot...gmaDP1-002.jpg
    http://www.sigma-dp1.com/sample-phot...gmaDP1-003.jpg
    etc up to
    http://www.sigma-dp1.com/sample-phot...gmaDP1-037.jpg

Mitch Alland

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    I printed a couple of the official samples and am really impressed. Another month to wait... If Sigma announces another delay, I'm going to go batty!
    Get a grip Amin, it's only an effing camera!

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

asabet

I know, I know . It's hard to get tone across in text, but I wasn't being completely serious with that statement.

Mitch Alland

Yeah, I figured so, but couldn't resist making the posting,

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting...did anyone else notice the cyan vignetting? It looks similar to the cyan vignetting that you get on the M8 with a 35 or 28mm lens when using an IR filter and no correction. It is particularly noticeable in photo 10, and I see it in several others as well, And what is up with the clouds in photo 8? I have never seen purple clouds before...I never got around to shrooms or acid, but it is nice to know that I can get a DP1 and have the same effect! Don't worry, I am not trying to knock the camera, but I was just interested to see those results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I asked about IS, apparently it's only available in movie mode...

Also, the RAW write speed was stated as fixed 6 seconds - the bottle neck being the camera processing of data, rather than a slow card. There is a buffer, which brings the initial shot to shot time down to 3-4 secs.

I got the impression that the camera could do with some more 'finishing' work on the user interface - for instance, the focus area selection is limited to one of 9 squares in the centre of the sensor - I would have preferred to see a freely moveable selection square.

My hope is, that Sigma will continue to refine and enhance the user interface by firmware upgrades after the unit starts to ship... also that most people will hold off purchasing until the camera street price drops to £400 - which would be realistic imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I took the time last night to print 4 of the Sigma posted samples in 8 x 10 size and I was astonished at the detail and true color of the photos. For any one who doubts this camera please give this a try I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, the RAW write speed was stated as fixed 6 seconds - the bottle neck being the camera processing of data, rather than a slow card. There is a buffer, which brings the initial shot to shot time down to 3-4 secs.

Sadly, that is slower than the Canon G9, of course there is a LOT more data in the DP1's RAW files I guess

I got the impression that the camera could do with some more 'finishing' work on the user interface - for instance, the focus area selection is limited to one of 9 squares in the centre of the sensor - I would have preferred to see a freely moveable selection square.

I tend to agree with you, altho I seldom use this feature on any camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just tried manual focusing today on my LX1 and it's great... you get a hyperfocal display bar and a live zoomed box in a 'picture in picture' style. It really made me realise how much more 'finishing' work needs to be done in the DP1's user interface. What the heck have they been doing for the last year?

Anyhow, all these are quibbles when you get down to it... the APS-C sized Foveon sensor cuts them a lot of slack!

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post

Anyhow, all these are quibbles when you get down to it... the APS-C sized Foveon sensor cuts them a lot of slack!

Kind Regards

Brian
    slack? do you mean SLACK?
    - I was playing with one at focus yesterday (sorry to miss you Brian). I'm afraid I wasn't really very impressed, it didn't seem that small (especially with the lens extended), I thought the interface was clunky (especially with the marvels of the LX and d-lux cameras and the ricohs). The images looked fine . . . . but then so do the ones from the others in good light when printed to that size . . .

I do believe in the concept of a smaller camera with a larger sensor, but I think there are too many compromises here - if it worked like a GRD, and was the same size . . . maybe then.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, we certainly missed you... as for the DP1, I made a point of asking how likely it would be that Sigma would continue developing the firmware and offering upgrades online. That would be a good way forward, bearing in mind that we can live with the kludgey interface in the short term.

Kind Regards

Brian

JohnN

I was also up at FOI on Sunday, I had a good play with the DP1. I must admit the sample prints Sigma had scattered all over the stand shouted excellent colour qualities, if a little over processed.

I did notice the lens had quite a bit more distortion than the GRD II and being a bit cheeky, I put my GRD II alongside it for size comparison. The DP1 lens does protrude more and makes it less pocketable than the GRD II.

I would liked to have grabbed some RAW shots off it but alas the rep wasn't overly happy with my approach. Pity he noticed me at all as all eyes were on the Sigma 200-500.

To conclude (my first post on DPI), I agree the screen wasn't patch on the GRD II, but to be honest the GRD II is better than most, even my dSLRs.

BTW, as a bit of personal challenge, I've decided to take ONLY my GRD II on a citybreak to New York next week, rather than lug the dSLRs around, in order to see how well it stacks up.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, as a bit of personal challenge, I've decided to take ONLY my GRD II on a citybreak to New York next week, rather than lug the dSLRs around, in order to see how well it stacks up.
    I did something similar, using only my D-Lux 3 in Berlin, though that was more for the rougher look of the small sensor files. A very worthwhile exercise, to be sure.

VladimirV

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I'm afraid I wasn't really very impressed, it didn't seem that small (especially with the lens extended), I thought the interface was clunky (especially with the marvels of the LX and d-lux cameras and the ricohs).
    Think you came to the same conclusion as I and a friend did while at Focus on Sunday.
    Funny thing was that some people were more impressed with the Ricoh GRDs we had lying at the stand while playing with the DP1 than the DP1 itself .

My full report is on my blog with pictures (more and larger on my Flickr account).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bbodine9 View Post
    I took the time last night to print 4 of the Sigma posted samples in 8 x 10 size and I was astonished at the detail and true color of the photos. For any one who doubts this camera please give this a try I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    I should hope so...it is a 14mp APS sized sensor...it should do at least 13x19 without breaking a sweat. But how did the corners look? Because in the samples they looked both soft and cyan-tinted. I would love this camera to be awesome, but given the samples I am a little dubious so far. If you only need 8x10, any normal point and shoot will do.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirV View Post
    Think you came to the same conclusion as I and a friend did while at Focus on Sunday.
    Funny thing was that some people were more impressed with the Ricoh GRDs we had lying at the stand while playing with the DP1 than the DP1 itself .

My full report is on my blog with pictures (more and larger on my Flickr account).
    HI Vladimir - excellent report, very much mirrors my opinion. Of course we all want better IQ . . . but if there's one thing that this forum has taught me, it's that the huge depth of field of the small sensor cameras is an asset not to be easily dismissed - any new camera with a larger sensor needs to have something to raise it above the crowd - I'm not sure that this camera does.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    I should hope so...it is a 14mp APS sized sensor...it should do at least 13x19 without breaking a sweat. But how did the corners look? Because in the samples they looked both soft and cyan-tinted. I would love this camera to be awesome, but given the samples I am a little dubious so far. If you only need 8x10, any normal point and shoot will do.
    The corners looked fine to me and I guess I am not used to such sharpness as my normal camera is the outdated 5mp E-1. Yes I do agree if I could have printed 13 x 19 they would have looked great, just don't have that printer size available at the homestead. My normal printing process is to use either Lightroom (which is in a funk right now, grrr) or Qimage in TIFF format. I am not going to sell this camera short until I can get one in my hands as so many of you were able to do, but for me the IQ based on the samples is exceptional.

asabet

As new ones come up, I've been linking to DP1 samples from my blog. Some of the latest ones are from a model shoot via DC Watch found here.

I continue to be very impressed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a good link to real DP-1 photos

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27003258

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Here is a good link to real DP-1 photos

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27003258
    There's a lot of what the RFF gang would call "scary bokeh" in the first photo.

Aside from that, they look pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigma DP1 B&W - interesting B&W

Link to some B&W from the above mentioned thread.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rytterfalk/2302017937/

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to buy one anyway so I'm just glad the image quality seems to be so good.

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    There's a lot of what the RFF gang would call "scary bokeh" in the first photo.
    I think the bokeh is fair in that photo. There is definitely some coma and a bit of bright edge, but I've seen much, much worse. I wouldn't call this scary.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it doesn't take much to elicit a "scary bokeh" comment from the peanut gallery.

Post Thanks / Like

isn't Scary Bokeh playing Lollapalooza this year?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

No, they're only doing Bonnaroo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm really the only one who sees (or cares about) the quite apparent cyan vignetting in these files, huh? The color on center is beautiful, but look at that first photo -- the flagstones are greyish brown in the center and quite a greenish grey in the lower left corner. And the kids jacket is a warm grey on his the left shoulder (our left) and a very greenish grey on the right shoulder...this is not just being in shadow, it is strong cyan vignetting. There is no excuse for this given that it is a fixed lens camera -- that is something that should be taken care of in firmware. It would be really easy too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really the only one who sees (or cares about) the quite apparent cyan vignetting in these files, huh? The color on center is beautiful, but look at that first photo -- the flagstones are greyish brown in the center and quite a greenish grey in the lower left corner. And the kids jacket is a warm grey on his the left shoulder (our left) and a very greenish grey on the right shoulder...this is not just being in shadow, it is strong cyan vignetting. There is no excuse for this given that it is a fixed lens camera -- that is something that should be taken care of in firmware. It would be really easy too.
    I'm not entirely sure it is all that bad judging from these pictures. There are shadows and reflections from a greenish glass on the shop front. Also paving stones do get unevenly worn when they are next to a wall or window and in one picture they are a block of only four grey slabs against a wall. I spend a lot of time at work having public realm hard landscaping re done because of uneven colouring of the materials used. I'm not saying your wrong, just that I'd like to see more convincing evidence.

can you see any in this one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rytterf...11297/sizes/l/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any, Will. But I didn't really see any in those other photos, either. That might just be that I don't know what I'm looking for, you know? The cyan vignetting from uncoded lenses on the M8 is pretty extreme, so my personal calibration for such things might be off after looking at my files. This is the sort of thing I was looking for:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I'm not entirely sure it is all that bad judging from these pictures. There are shadows and reflections from a greenish glass on the shop front. Also paving stones do get unevenly worn when they are next to a wall or window and in one picture they are a block of only four grey slabs against a wall. I spend a lot of time at work having public realm hard landscaping re done because of uneven colouring of the materials used. I'm not saying your wrong, just that I'd like to see more convincing evidence.

can you see any in this one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rytterf...11297/sizes/l/
    Actually, yes. If you look at the counter, the white trim goes from green at left to neutral white on center. The yellow of the counter goes from greenish at the very edge to a more neutral as you get to the center. I don't think it is a extremely dramatic effect like the one that Maggie posted, but it is very similar to what you get on the M8 with a 35mm or 28mm lens. Seeing as this is a fixed lens camera, I think it should be programmed out.

As for other examples, look at Sigma's own at the DP1 page. I see it in most of the photos there, but particularly in number 10. The sand at the bottom is very green compared to the sand on center, and this is a very even toned image...the difference is obvious to me. The color numbers of the sand on center are 165,148,133 versus 108,106,87 at the bottom edge...the red is significantly deficient compared to the center.
    Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, it is just something that I noticed and it struck me as very familiar as an M8 user. When it came out people got all excited because they had been hoping for it for a long time and people did not really notice some of the flaws...when they got them in hand they started to see that the pictures coming out of the camera did not look like the world they were looking at and they got angry. Again, I have no interest in bad mouthing the camera, I think it is producing some beautiful results, but there may be situations where you need to be aware of the cyan vignetting unless sigma corrects it in the firmware. Personally, it would annoy me.

Post Thanks / Like

OK Stuart, I think I see what you mean now, though it does take some looking for if, like me, a person hasn't experienced this effect before. I'd still like to see an example like Maggies where it is more quantifiable.
    Of course we don't know if Sigma already have programed some out, but perhaps just not enough?

asabet

I see it. I'm not too troubled by it though. A firmware fix addressing this for in-camera JPEGs would be nice, but I'd prefer they leave the RAW as is. For images where it bothers me, I'd rather process it out myself.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    I see it. I'm not too troubled by it though. A firmware fix addressing this for in-camera JPEGs would be nice, but I'd prefer they leave the RAW as is. For images where it bothers me, I'd rather process it out myself.
    One needs to be careful about such things - it can be nasty in a snow scene! In the M8 it's very much connected with the IR filter and with vignetting, and cornerfix works well. On the Kodak 14n there was a similar cyan / magenta drift which was known as the Italian flag - it was not directly related to vignetting and was really really difficult to get rid of (it only happened with some lenses). This doesn't look terribly serious, but it looks more like the Kodak problem than the Leica one.

It's taken Sigma a long time to get this camera 'right' which does suggest there are complications - lets hope this isn't something that's going to be a noticeable problem when it appears.

Just this guy you know

asabet

I've been assuming that, given the lack of a similar product from anyone else, there must be some significant compromises involved. This is one I can deal with, even if all my snow scenes have to be in B&W . Also, given the known issues related to putting a large Foveon sensor in a small body, I think it's fair to assume that this issue is related to vignetting.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The funny thing is that I think Sigma still could have made this a successful product in a little bit bigger form factor. Like the size of an old Canonet. I think it didn't need to be completely pocketable it just needed to be significantly smaller than a dslr. But that being said, I have no idea what aspects of the design gave them the biggest problem.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    The funny thing is that I think Sigma still could have made this a successful product in a little bit bigger form factor. Like the size of an old Canonet.
    ... and then they could have put a proper optical VF in it, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    ... and then they could have put a proper optical VF in it, too!
    In that case, you'd probably just have an Olympus E-410 class camera... I think that, considering the engineering challenges, Sigma made the right choice on form factor. I want to see it succeed, if only to give Ricoh and Panasonic more cause to innovate.

Kind Regards

Brian

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This post at Alt Gear & Lenses pointed to PopPhoto.com's First Look at the Sigma DP1, with an accompanying Photo Gallery. The images in this gallery are so disappointing -- as evidenced by the 100% details -- that I'm inclined to blame the photographer rather than the camera. Given the choice, I'd upgrade my GRD to a GRD2 rather than buy a DP1 but I'd be interested to learn what other members think...
    Last edited by Jonathon Delacour; 3rd March 2008 at 01:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    This post at Alt Gear & Lenses pointed to PopPhoto.com's First Look at the Sigma DP1, with an accompanying Photo Gallery. The images in this gallery are so disappointing -- as evidenced by the 100% details -- that I'm inclined to blame the photographer rather than the camera. Given the choice, I'd upgrade my GRD to a GRD2 rather than buy a DP1 but I'd be interested to learn what other members think...
    I think you are right about the photographer. I had a look at their GX100 images and, though taken on what looks like a brighter day, they aren't much better. As for which camera to get I already have the GRD2 but I'm intending to get a DP1 as well, partly to give Sigma the support they deserve but mostly because I want to try out colour photography with the fovion and some of the images I've seen really impress me.