Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brick Wall Lens Tests with the NEX

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Brick Wall Lens Tests with the NEX

I'm gonna have to find some time to show some good CV 35 1.4 test shots. I'm not sure I'd trade for any of the other 35s...well, except the 35 asph lux. It's small, has f1.4, and its slight barrel distortion is easily fixable. It is surprisingly sharp at f1.4. Granted, the edges need at least f4. If I didn't care about size or f1.4, I'd probably go for the ZM f2. I may still buy the ZM, but I want to see what Sony does with native glass. If they bring a Zeiss 35mm, I'll be happy as can be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I'm gonna have to find some time to show some good CV 35 1.4 test shots. .
    So what did you think about the full-size images I posted (the "grape hedge(pseudo brickwall)" pictures from our garden or the "landscape/pond" ones from our backyard) ? How does it compare to your CV 35 1.4 at comparable apertures ?

In the pond pictures, I tried to position some solid detail at the extreme edges/corners to see how that turns out.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't been able to look at them appropriately, yet. I've been posting on the mobile phone all weekend. I'll try to find time today to look at them on my monitor. I haven't done "proper" tests with the CV that I can show, yet. I've mostly been taking shots and comparing quickly. In that rough test, f5.6 seems acceptable in the farthest corners, and that's fine with me for an f1.4 lens. I can actually sharpen them up by focusing PAST infinity, with the obvious side affect being a less sharp center. Field curvature, apparently. My Sony 50 on the A900 never really sharpens up in the corners until f5.6 or so, either. Asking for sharp corners on a fast 50mm equivalent below f4 is a lot to ask on any system.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna have to find some time to show some good CV 35 1.4 test shots. I'm not sure I'd trade for any of the other 35s...well, except the 35 asph lux. It's small, has f1.4, and its slight barrel distortion is easily fixable. It is surprisingly sharp at f1.4. Granted, the edges need at least f4. If I didn't care about size or f1.4, I'd probably go for the ZM f2. I may still buy the ZM, but I want to see what Sony does with native glass. If they bring a Zeiss 35mm, I'll be happy as can be.
    sounds good, how bad is the coma and loCA/purple fringing shooting f/1.4 for night shots? i talking about portrait distance focusing not infinity - i don't really care how a lens performs at infinity below f/5.6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'm having a hard time distinguishing which shots are wide open or slightly stopped down, but here are some throw-away examples with light sources to look at of the CV 35/1.4 at night. I believe some were slightly stopped down to f1.7, judging by the shape of the aperture in the highlights.

I think this may be f1.7:

This one has a bit of flare at the bottom, but not too bad, considering the scene and its a single coated lens without a hood:

Purple around the street lamp:

Like in Steve Huff's review, I will occasionally get a ton of purple on highly overexposed, white point light sources:

The above images were all ISO 1600-3200, and each had relatively minor LR3 corrections. I did use a slight distortion correction of +6 for each. There's really nothing to pretty to look at here, but it should give a slight idea as to how the lens performs at night. I'll have to go out and shoot f1.4 only, so that I can remember what my settings were!
    Last edited by douglasf13; 23rd August 2010 at 10:06.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm having a hard time distinguishing which shots are wide open or slightly stopped down, but here are some throw-away examples with light sources to look at of the CV 35/1.4 at night. I believe some were slightly stopped down to f1.7, judging by the shape of the aperture in the highlights.

The above images were all ISO 1600-3200, and each had relatively minor LR3 corrections. I did use a slight distortion correction of +6 for each. There's really nothing to pretty to look at here, but it should give a slight idea as to how the lens performs at night. I'll have to go out and shoot f1.4 only, so that I can remember what my settings were!
    thanks a bunch , purple fringing doesn't look as bad as i expected - though still fairly noticeable. can it be easily eliminated by just desaturating the purple color slider or is it broader spectrum? for actual shooting who cares what aperture you use as long as you get the shots. don't waste time shooting pictures just to help me justify buying another lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really haven't spent much time trying to remove the purple fringing yet, so I'm not sure how hard it is to clean up. I do occasionally get some purple in daylight scenes if highlights are blown behind a dark subject. All in all, this lens seems to perform a bit like the more exotic f1.0-f1.2 lenses in regards to the fringing, which I've been ok with, considering the size of this little lens. From what I understand, the new 35 'lux has occasional purple fringing issues as well, so no one is perfect. Roweraay's 35 Summicron is probably a better option in regards to fringing.
    Last edited by douglasf13; 23rd August 2010 at 11:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went ahead and just yanked the purple channel all the way down in LR3 so you could see the color difference with this pic:

no purple:

original:

When I individually select the affected area, it seems that it is a mix of blue and purple, so it isn't completely isolated. Still, for night shots, I'm betting a reasonably acceptable compromise can be made...or shoot B&W

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Douglas, I think you have a sub standard match for the NEX sensor. Even if you discount the color fringing, the corner OOF highlights looks quite out of shape. The flare isn't great either.

Post Thanks / Like

The 35/2 Summicron has been listed in the "For Sale" forum. I guess it might as well go to the home of a person shooting Leica M, than be "wasted" on a NEX5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Douglas, I think you have a sub standard match for the NEX sensor. Even if you discount the color fringing, the corner OOF highlights looks quite out of shape. The flare isn't great either.
    both those are general lens characteristics of voigtlander 35 1.4 not the specific lens sensor combo (i've seen lots of examples of them on leicas and 4/3). that is why i specificly asked for these types of shots - it doesn't look any worse to me than what i've seen on the m8. the flare might be a little worse with the SC version, but not much. it's a question of whether one thinks these weaknesses (mostly present wide open) are worth the trade offs for the advantages of the lens (size, sharpness, and f/1.4 if you need it).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly, like with my Sony 50mm, I will shoot this at f2 and above most of the time, with the option to use f1.4 when needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    The 35/2 Summicron has been listed in the "For Sale" forum. I guess it might as well go to the home of a person shooting Leica M, than be "wasted" on a NEX5.
    The lens got sold in a couple of hours, with a TON of interest from people all over the country ! Amazing !

I had zero intention of making any money from the sale and thus it was sold for exactly what I bought it for.